Chemqueries

Default Furnace/Heating/AC problem

When my furnace is on, there is cold air coming out of two large vents in my
house while warm air is coming out of all the other heating vents. Is it
possible that the heating and air conditioning are on simultaneously? My
thermostat allows only for EITHER heat OR cooling. You can't turn on both at
the same time. What is going on? By the way, I had the furnace cleaned about 6
weeks ago.

m Ransley

No ,if heat is out of one duct it is your ducts, probably uninsulated
and long

Red Neckerson

"Chemqueries" wrote in message
When my furnace is on, there is cold air coming out of two large vents in
my
house while warm air is coming out of all the other heating vents. Is it
possible that the heating and air conditioning are on simultaneously? My
thermostat allows only for EITHER heat OR cooling. You can't turn on both
at
the same time. What is going on? By the way, I had the furnace cleaned
about 6
weeks ago.

Are you sure those "two large vents" aren't the return vents? (Some call
them cold air returns)

When the unit is running, take a paper towell and see if those two vents
will suck the towell up into them......

Chemqueries

From: "Red Neckerson"

Are you sure those "two large vents" aren't the return vents? (Some call them

cold air returns)When the unit is running, take a paper towell and see if
those two vents will suck the towell up into them....

Hi. I did put a piece of paper near those two vents and, yes, the paper is
drawn TOWARDS the vent, which really surprised me. When I put my hand near
those vents, it feels as if cold air is coming out, but apparently it is being
drawn in. I didn't know there were such vents! Thank you for your help.

Chemqueries

Thanks to all for your replies. As "Red Neckerson" suggested, I think those two
vents are return vents.
Red Neckerson

From: "Red Neckerson"

Are you sure those "two large vents" aren't the return vents? (Some call
them

cold air returns)When the unit is running, take a paper towell and see if
those two vents will suck the towell up into them....

Hi. I did put a piece of paper near those two vents and, yes, the paper is
drawn TOWARDS the vent, which really surprised me. When I put my hand near
those vents, it feels as if cold air is coming out, but apparently it is
being
drawn in. I didn't know there were such vents! Thank you for your help.

Strange how that works. It DOES feel like it's blowing cold air out and not
drawing it in.......

default

I was at a home yesterday that had 2 return vents and ONE supply in a
bedroom! Now, the house has been going through some remodeling (for the past
6 years!) and it may have been 2 different rooms turned into one. Returns in
the floor and supplies in the ceiling. Not a very good setup.....

Not as bad as you might think, though. With the returns in the floor, you suck

the cold air out, and the warm air moves more or less uniformly down to
fill the remaining space. If you do it the other way, you get more turbulence,
and
the air coming out of the duct can go straight up, without dispersing, and get
sucked
out the return vent without ever warming the room.

--Goedjn

Chemqueries

From: John Hines
In order for something to blow out, there must be an intake, or youwould

create a vacuum, and the house would implode.
The coolness you feel is "wind chill" from the air movement over youhand.

I've always heard them referred to as "cold air return" even whenthey are up
high and return hot air for the A/C.

Very interesting. I was just going to post and ask why it feels as if cold air
is being blown out. I guess you're a mind reader!