Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bath fan venting question

I am putting in a bathroom in my basement and know I need to vent the
fan. I plan on running the vent between the joists, but I'll need to
jog around the i-beam. is it okay to use flexible dryer-vent type
pipe to come down and then back up to get around the structural beam?
Essentially it would look lik ~~~~U~~~~~~ where the U is the flexible
vent pipe going underneath the beam? Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not planning to put a shower in the basement bath, just a toilet
and sink. THerefore I'm not really worried about the condensation or
reduced air flow since I'm only putting the fan in to meet code. I
know that what I'm proposing is less than ideal, and if a significant
amount of moisture really needed to be exhausted then I'd probably
have planned it differently, but as it is, I just want to pass code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other way is the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AHHHHH......

wrote in message
ups.com...
The other way is the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 8:48 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
I'm not planning to put a shower in the basement bath, just a toilet
and sink. THerefore I'm not really worried about the condensation or
reduced air flow since I'm only putting the fan in to meet code. I
know that what I'm proposing is less than ideal, and if a significant
amount of moisture really needed to be exhausted then I'd probably
have planned it differently, but as it is, I just want to pass code.

Which brings to mind the question: Why are lavatories required to have a
vent?

To remove smells instead of having them go into the whole house and if
there is a bath/shower, to remove excess moisture. I think in most
places, the vent can either be a fan or a window, though I would
always want the fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Slightly off-topic, but related. Do I need a vent for a utility sink
in the basement? Is it recommended/required to install the utility
sink inside the bathroom that has a fan-powered vent?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think you need a sewer vent pipe, which is an entirely different
beast.