Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
dosferatu

Default Bath Fan Venting

Is there any difference between venting bathroom fans through roof or out a
wall? Is one way better?

I'd prefer not to cut a hole in my roof, but to vent through a wall I'll
have to run 25' of duct.

Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Speedy Jim

dosferatu wrote:

Is there any difference between venting bathroom fans through roof or out a
wall? Is one way better?

I'd prefer not to cut a hole in my roof, but to vent through a wall I'll
have to run 25' of duct.

Thanks.

Careful if that 25 ft run is thru the attic and
it gets cold where you are. Often, condensation
inside the duct occurs and runs back down to the bath.

Any chance you could mount the fan itself right in
the outside wall? They make a bath fan just for that.

Jim
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Speedy Jim wrote:
dosferatu wrote:

Is there any difference between venting bathroom fans through roof or out a
wall? Is one way better?

I'd prefer not to cut a hole in my roof, but to vent through a wall I'll
have to run 25' of duct.

Thanks.

Careful if that 25 ft run is thru the attic and
it gets cold where you are. Often, condensation
inside the duct occurs and runs back down to the bath.

Any chance you could mount the fan itself right in
the outside wall? They make a bath fan just for that.

Jim

I'd generally prefer to go out a soffit, but 25ft is too far for the
condensation issue above as well as substantial reduction in fan
capacity. I'd go with a roof vent in this case, as long as it's close
and can be done on a side that's not highly visible.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:24:25 -0500, someone wrote:

what sort of vent would you use for puting the exhaust out a soffit? I have
about 8" of soffit, and it would only be 4-5' away

How can the soffit only be 5 feet away, yet you needed to run 25 fee
reach a wall?

And the vent you use for a soffit is a soffit vent...

venting bath fan to outside from attic... [email protected] Home Ownership 8 March 12th 06 12:51 AM
Venting bath exhaust fan Sasha Home Repair 10 December 10th 05 12:05 AM
Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 06:44 AM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM