Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oops -- nicked refrigerant tube in fridge

I'm smacking myself for this: I have one of those manual defrost compact
refrigerators which always take forever to defrost... so I thought I
would chisel away at some of the ice. I _thought_ I was staying away
from the refrigerant tubing, but a loud hissing sound conveniently
informed me of my mistake. So my question is, are these under-counter
models worth trying to have repaired? It looks like they cost in the
$100-300 range new. The nick in the tubing is pretty small, though.
Thanks for any help.

--
Matt
Remove 'invalid' from address before emailing
Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:
I'm smacking myself for this: I have one of those manual defrost compact
refrigerators which always take forever to defrost... so I thought I
would chisel away at some of the ice. I _thought_ I was staying away
from the refrigerant tubing, but a loud hissing sound conveniently
informed me of my mistake. So my question is, are these under-counter
models worth trying to have repaired? It looks like they cost in the
$100-300 range new. The nick in the tubing is pretty small, though.
Thanks for any help.

No answers, but sympathy of the BTDT sort. Mine was in a rental, and
much to my surprise, they didn't make me pay to replace it. Although the
replacement they provided was smaller. Being pretty much broke at the
time, I just thanked them and kept my mouth shut.

If the thing is over a couple of years old, I'd write it off. There is
no tubing in there, it is just a couple of formed plates fused together.
If you had your own tools to refill, an epoxy patch might work, like on
a gas tank. But at 50 bucks or show to even show up, repair cost will be
pretty close to replacement cost.

aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 12:06 am, aemeijers wrote:
Matt wrote:
[...]

BTDT too! As a teenager at a girlfriend's apartment. I was helping
her get ready for a party by defrosting *her* freezer - not provided
by the landlord. Ended up living out of coolers until we both got paid
and could buy another cheap unit. Probably spent more on ice than the
eventual fridge. Basement apartment...and back then fridges weighed a
whole lot more than they do now!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt wrote:
I'm smacking myself for this: I have one of those manual defrost
compact refrigerators which always take forever to defrost... so I
thought I would chisel away at some of the ice. I _thought_ I was
staying away from the refrigerant tubing, but a loud hissing sound
conveniently informed me of my mistake. So my question is, are
these under-counter models worth trying to have repaired? It looks
like they cost in the $100-300 range new. The nick in the tubing
is pretty small, though. Thanks for any help.

It is fixable.

When I lived in Mexico and had just moved into a furnished apartment I
found the fridge didn't work. Called the realtor, she sent a guy, guy
fixed the nicked tube by melting something that looked like burn in
shellac on the small hole. That fixed it and it stayed fixed for the
two years I lived there. Something like PolyPoxy or JB Weld should
fix it fine. Gotta add new refrigerant, obviously.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 6:15?am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Matt wrote:
[...]

well to fix, repair hole, then evacuate system, by vacuumn pump, then
add gas and oil since the oil leaked out with the gas. by the time
your all done cheaper to buy new, unless you can find a carry in
service center since its small.

new ones probably made in china by top paid employees, a buck a day no
heath care or other benefits, no way to compete with that....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

If the thing is over a couple of years old, I'd write it off. There is
no tubing in there, it is just a couple of formed plates fused together.
If you had your own tools to refill, an epoxy patch might work, like on
a gas tank. But at 50 bucks or show to even show up, repair cost will be
pretty close to replacement cost.

Yeah this thing was manufactured in 1996 so it's had a good service life
("Made in Mexico" -- I'm not sure what they're still making down there,
other than my Corona). What's so frustrating is that it's such a tiny
little nick and you have to replace the whole thing. But having a tech
restore pressure to the system will cost money, I'm sure.

--
Matt
Remove 'invalid' from address before emailing
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 12, 6:46 am, Matt Hill wrote:
In article ,

aemeijers wrote:
If the thing is over a couple of years old, I'd write it off. There is
no tubing in there, it is just a couple of formed plates fused together.
If you had your own tools to refill, an epoxy patch might work, like on
a gas tank. But at 50 bucks or show to even show up, repair cost will be
pretty close to replacement cost.

Yeah this thing was manufactured in 1996 so it's had a good service life
("Made in Mexico" -- I'm not sure what they're still making down there,
other than my Corona). What's so frustrating is that it's such a tiny
little nick and you have to replace the whole thing. But having a tech
restore pressure to the system will cost money, I'm sure.

--
Matt
Remove 'invalid' from address before emailing

You might fix it but its old and new ones are up to 60% more
efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 04:23:55 GMT, Matt
wrote:

I'm smacking myself for this: I have one of those manual defrost compact
refrigerators which always take forever to defrost... so I thought I
would chisel away at some of the ice. I _thought_ I was staying away
from the refrigerant tubing, but a loud hissing sound conveniently
informed me of my mistake. So my question is, are these under-counter
models worth trying to have repaired? It looks like they cost in the
$100-300 range new. The nick in the tubing is pretty small, though.
Thanks for any help.

Think Duct Tape. Lots of it........ LOL

DUCK TAPE IS COOL !!!!!!!!