Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Oops -- nicked refrigerant tube in fridge

Matt wrote:
I'm smacking myself for this: I have one of those manual defrost compact
refrigerators which always take forever to defrost... so I thought I
would chisel away at some of the ice. I _thought_ I was staying away
from the refrigerant tubing, but a loud hissing sound conveniently
informed me of my mistake. So my question is, are these under-counter
models worth trying to have repaired? It looks like they cost in the
$100-300 range new. The nick in the tubing is pretty small, though.
Thanks for any help.

No answers, but sympathy of the BTDT sort. Mine was in a rental, and
much to my surprise, they didn't make me pay to replace it. Although the
replacement they provided was smaller. Being pretty much broke at the
time, I just thanked them and kept my mouth shut.

If the thing is over a couple of years old, I'd write it off. There is
no tubing in there, it is just a couple of formed plates fused together.
If you had your own tools to refill, an epoxy patch might work, like on
a gas tank. But at 50 bucks or show to even show up, repair cost will be
pretty close to replacement cost.

aem sends....