Sue

Default Amana Fridge Drain tube update

So an update on the amana fridge with the bottow drawer freezer.

Encouraged by Jeffs diagrams, I yarded out the fridge and removed the
panel + found the drain tube. It wasn't plugged on the bottom. It
turned out that the hole at the top was completely plugged with ice.

so plugged that I didn't even know where it was (but since I knew where
it was on the bottom, I could find its approximate location on the top).
I waited 'til the fridge had finished a defrost cycle and then emptied
the freezer and turned the hair dryer and some warm water on the area.
it seems to be fine now.

of course you have to wonder why it filled up in the first place. I
think we spilled an ice cube tray in the area and that might account for
it. of course that may be just wistfull thinking.
George E. Cawthon

Sue wrote:
So an update on the amana fridge with the bottow drawer freezer.

Encouraged by Jeffs diagrams, I yarded out the fridge and removed the
panel + found the drain tube. It wasn't plugged on the bottom. It
turned out that the hole at the top was completely plugged with ice.

so plugged that I didn't even know where it was (but since I knew where
it was on the bottom, I could find its approximate location on the top).
I waited 'til the fridge had finished a defrost cycle and then emptied
the freezer and turned the hair dryer and some warm water on the area.
it seems to be fine now.

of course you have to wonder why it filled up in the first place. I
think we spilled an ice cube tray in the area and that might account for
it. of course that may be just wistfull thinking.

I'll bet you did spill something liquid on it, or
something slipped over there and continued to melt
a while at then end of the defrost cycle.

Here's a hint if the problem comes back. Put a 12
gauge copper wire in the drain tube with a curl at
the top to keep if from falling thru; the bottom
end of the wire should protrude about an inch (not
hit anything) from the bottom of the drain tube.
The wire will carry heat up to the top of the
drain and should keep it from freezing, but the
amount of heat it moves will be so small as to not
affect operation.
Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

If it comes back.....blast some hot water down the drain hole and tube
with a turkey baster....and something here may help as well....

http://www.applianceaid.com/defrost_drain_freezes.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Hell Toupee

Sue wrote:

So an update on the amana fridge with the bottow drawer freezer.

Encouraged by Jeffs diagrams, I yarded out the fridge and removed the
panel + found the drain tube. It wasn't plugged on the bottom. It
turned out that the hole at the top was completely plugged with ice.

so plugged that I didn't even know where it was (but since I knew where
it was on the bottom, I could find its approximate location on the top).
I waited 'til the fridge had finished a defrost cycle and then emptied
the freezer and turned the hair dryer and some warm water on the area.
it seems to be fine now.

of course you have to wonder why it filled up in the first place. I
think we spilled an ice cube tray in the area and that might account for
it. of course that may be just wistfull thinking.

I hope you don't have any more trouble with it, but...several years ago
Amana had a known problem with their top freezer refrigerators whose
drain plugs choked with ice in the freezer compartment. Their 'solution'
was to install a thicker styrofoam block in the freezer floor. It didn't
work, and they didn't stand behind their product. Owners had to take
apart the freezer floor every few weeks to thaw out the clogged drain.

I got rid of my Amana fridge because of this and will never buy the
brand again, because that problem was due to sloppy design, and their
'fix' was worthless. If they can't build a decent product I can't be
persuaded to buy it.

HellT
Stormin Mormon

You did a great job. Glad you posted dthe follow up.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sue" wrote in message
So an update on the amana fridge with the bottow drawer freezer.

Encouraged by Jeffs diagrams, I yarded out the fridge and removed the
panel + found the drain tube. It wasn't plugged on the bottom. It
turned out that the hole at the top was completely plugged with ice.

so plugged that I didn't even know where it was (but since I knew where
it was on the bottom, I could find its approximate location on the top).
I waited 'til the fridge had finished a defrost cycle and then emptied
the freezer and turned the hair dryer and some warm water on the area.
it seems to be fine now.

of course you have to wonder why it filled up in the first place. I
think we spilled an ice cube tray in the area and that might account for
it. of course that may be just wistfull thinking.

Stormin Mormon

I worked on a fridge about six time, top freezer. Kept puddling and
freezing. I tweaked the little alum drain pan severl times. Musta got it,
finally.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
Sue wrote:

[...]

Sue

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I worked on a fridge about six time, top freezer. Kept puddling and
freezing. I tweaked the little alum drain pan severl times. Musta got it,
finally.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
I hope you don't have any more trouble with it, but...several years ago
Amana had a known problem with their top freezer refrigerators whose
drain plugs choked with ice in the freezer compartment.

yeah I know. as soon as I googled Amana and drain tube it was apparent.
It worked fine for over a year though, so maybe it's an aberation
(crosses fingers).

I got rid of my Amana fridge because of this and will never buy the
brand again, because that problem was due to sloppy design, and their
'fix' was worthless.

we bought based on the consumer reports review, of course it wouldn't
have occured to us that this might have been a problem. oh well. just
have to see.

fridge drain Patt Home Repair 3 October 16th 04 12:36 AM
Fridge Plastic Tube Constricted Water Flow Filipo Home Repair 4 February 26th 04 07:04 AM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Repair 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Ownership 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM
Remodel Leaking Drain Emergency Michael Roback Home Repair 0 October 24th 03 04:03 AM