Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new water filter/softener system help

Recently had my submersiable water pump , expanson tank replaced and new
water filter/softener system installed(hard rusty water) and after a month
or so I seem to still have air in the system. The water is milky but clears
quickly and I can hear air in the pipes. What could be the likely cause?
Gonna call the company that did the install but wanted to make sure it
wasn't something stupid I could easily fix myself first. Thanks for any
help.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
Recently had my submersiable water pump , expanson tank replaced and new
water filter/softener system installed(hard rusty water) and after a month
or so I seem to still have air in the system. The water is milky but
clears quickly and I can hear air in the pipes. What could be the likely
cause? Gonna call the company that did the install but wanted to make sure
it wasn't something stupid I could easily fix myself first. Thanks for any
help.......

Did you by any chance get an iron filter as part of the installation? If so,
that would explain the air in the system. The one I had installed injected
air into the water entering the iron filter in order to convert from
dissolved iron to red iron which can be filtered out via a (IIRC) green sand
filter.

Just a thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Nov 9, 7:12 pm, "benick" wrote:
Recently had my submersiable water pump , expanson tank replaced and new
water filter/softener system installed(hard rusty water) and after a month
or so I seem to still have air in the system. The water is milky but clears
quickly and I can hear air in the pipes. What could be the likely cause?
Gonna call the company that did the install but wanted to make sure it
wasn't something stupid I could easily fix myself first. Thanks for any
help.......

Not sure but has your ground water possible gone up or down and maybe
you are sucking some air with the water. Or has your regeneration
slowed due to lack of rain, Possible you have a bad line which could
let air in or have you tried operating the system without the filter
or the softner to see if they are part of the promblem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DonC" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
Recently had my submersiable water pump , expanson tank replaced and new
water filter/softener system installed(hard rusty water) and after a
month or so I seem to still have air in the system. The water is milky
but clears quickly and I can hear air in the pipes. What could be the
likely cause? Gonna call the company that did the install but wanted to
make sure it wasn't something stupid I could easily fix myself first.
Thanks for any help.......

Did you by any chance get an iron filter as part of the installation? If
so, that would explain the air in the system. The one I had installed
injected air into the water entering the iron filter in order to convert
from dissolved iron to red iron which can be filtered out via a (IIRC)
green sand filter.

Just a thought.

Yes I have the same system as you I think...2 slender cylinders with timers
and a trash can sized tank that I add salt to...(green bag) Now that you
mention it I think he said something about injecting air. So milky water is
"normal"????

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"DonC" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

I assume one of the tanks and the "trash can sized tank" makes up the
softener side of your system.

IF the other tank is indeed your green sand filter, you should need to use
the salt that comes in the green bag. That salt includes the equivalent of
"Iron Out" added to the salt. If the iron filter is working --- and the air
bubbles indicate it is -- you shouldn't have iron reaching your softener.
You should double check with your installer to make sure you understand what
they installed. BTW, my iron filter had an automotive type valve stem
mounted on a device where the water entered the filter. There is a venturi
in the device which created a low pressure zone which sucked the tire valve
open and drew air into the water stream.

As I recall, the air eventually went away. But it's presence should be a
comforting assurance to you that the system is working properly.