Posted to alt.home.repair

Default First Alert False Alarms

Had some BRK 120v detectors in my house for 10yrs. Had two units that went
bad in that they would go into full alarm in the middle of the night. Since
detectors are rated for 10yrs I replaced all six with First Alert SA9120BCN.
Now my new problem is the detectors randomly sound at various times of the
day. Just one blast from single units. I've done some reading on line and
have found that this is not an alarm but sensitivity to electric company sub
station switching. Going to calll First Alert tomorrow but in short these
units need to come down, they are annoying and scaring my child.

What's a good replacement 120volt with dc backup? I want to again link them
all using existing 3 wire system. I was looking at the Kidde PI2000. This
is a pain in the you know what.

Thanks,
Russ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 10:13 pm, "GSRS" wrote:
Had some BRK 120v detectors in my house for 10yrs. Had two units that went
bad in that they would go into full alarm in the middle of the night. Since
detectors are rated for 10yrs I replaced all six with First Alert SA9120BCN.
Now my new problem is the detectors randomly sound at various times of the
day. Just one blast from single units. I've done some reading on line and
have found that this is not an alarm but sensitivity to electric company sub
station switching. Going to calll First Alert tomorrow but in short these
units need to come down, they are annoying and scaring my child.

What's a good replacement 120volt with dc backup? I want to again link them
all using existing 3 wire system. I was looking at the Kidde PI2000. This
is a pain in the you know what.

Thanks,
Russ

Hi Russ,

I have Kidde alarms. However I also get false alarms from time to
time. One night the alarm went off. Ran around looking for smoke and
fire. Zip nothing. I then looked for an indicator to see which alarm
when off. On one with the flashing led, I noticed a spider scurrying
away.

It may be that all along your alarms were fine. Do you have high
humidity, dust, or bugs. These can cause false alarms. If the alarm is
seemingly random, and stops after a bit, I would say it may be bugs
like spiders.

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

These are new detectors that replaced units 10+ years old. They go into
"latching" mode which is not Alarm. The offending unit sounds once and led
begins blinking. First Alert customer service says its an electrical
problem but I never had the problem with the old units. I've read these new
units are sensitive to electic company substation switching which may
interrupt the power for a millisecond but its enough to Latch the unit.

I told them my young child is not all too happy, on the verge of being
frightened. I started a call history so they said they'll make good. I
need to report reoccurrence (great). Then call them back and see where to
go from there.

RP
"hobbes" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 5, 10:13 pm, "GSRS" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Benito_3 wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ms-264157-.htm
Benito_3 wrote:

Also have BRK First Alert

You are responding to a question that is almost 3 years old.
Do you think either of the people in that thread are still around?
They haven't posted in the last month that is on my newsreader.

You are responding to a usenet newsgroup. Maybe you could find out what
usenet is.
Homeowners' hub is a parasite that steals the work of others.
If you don't want to figure out usenet, I suggest using google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Stucco site is not a help forum, it's an
*advertising* forum that invades real forums
(like "alt.home.repair", part of "usenet")
parasitically in order to generate free
advertising for itself, which continually
advances its search engine placement, thereby
increasing its own revenue through its click-
through advertising commissions.

So the first thing you should do is write them
an email and tell them to quit spamming.

Then try to find your way here through proper
channels. Please do a google search on "Usenet"
and post the regular way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Benito_3" wrote in message
roups.com...

Mysterious False Alarms Ron Home Repair 18 October 2nd 07 07:43 AM
Strange false alarms with smoke detectors [email protected] Home Repair 9 December 3rd 05 03:03 PM
False Ceiling United UK diy 15 October 13th 05 03:14 PM
false ceiling jamie UK diy 4 May 18th 05 12:57 AM
False Alarms - Passive or Panel? BigWallop UK diy 3 July 14th 03 04:13 PM