Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Tank Question

I need to replace my 30 gal. gas hot water tank. When I go for the new
one, is it ok to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck, or should
it be transported upright?

Just curious and thanks.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 3:00?pm, (Bob) wrote:
I need to replace my 30 gal. gas hot water tank. When I go for the new
one, is it ok to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck, or should
it be transported upright?

Just curious and thanks.

Bob

on side gently is fine. I would get a larger tank, its nice to have
more hot water and is a polus at home resale time.

I HAD a 30 gallon once, it was always running out of hot water

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 10:36?pm, "Mark" wrote:
That's a good 'blanket statement' but with today's cost of energy it is
probably best to size to the home and family needs. In a small house, 2BR
with one bath, a 30 gallon may be plenty big and would save cost both in
initial purchase and in long term use.

wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 28, 3:00?pm, (Bob) wrote:
I need to replace my 30 gal. gas hot water tank. When I go for the new
one, is it ok to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck, or should
it be transported upright?

Just curious and thanks.

Bob

on side gently is fine. I would get a larger tank, its nice to have
more hot water and is a polus at home resale time.

I HAD a 30 gallon once, it was always running out of hot water- Hide quoted text -

30 gallon vs a 50 gallon operating expense is nearly the same, and a
larger tank likely lasts longer because of less thermal stress, while
adding comfort

riends had a 30 gallon tank and didnt know a larger one would fit,
when we went to pick a new one up, I have a van and help transporting
stuff.

they are very happy I convinced them to upsize

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 10:29 am, George wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 28, 3:00?pm, (Bob) wrote:
I need to replace my 30 gal. gas hot water tank. When I go for the new
one, is it ok to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck, or should
it be transported upright?

Just curious and thanks.

Bob

on side gently is fine. I would get a larger tank, its nice to have
more hot water and is a polus at home resale time.

I HAD a 30 gallon once, it was always running out of hot water

A 30 gal electric might be on the light side but 30 gal gas is probably
the most commonly installed size.

I've seen a lot of new construction in NJ recently and have never seen
a 30 gal. Even in a small house today, you have not only a shower,
but typically a dishwasher, washing machine, etc. Its not hard seeing
some combination occuring where you run out of water. Especially
given the small diff in cost, for most applications 40 is the most
reasonable alternative.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Oct, 23:36, "Mark" wrote:
That's a good 'blanket statement' but with today's cost of energy it is
probably best to size to the home and family needs. In a small house, 2BR
with one bath, a 30 gallon may be plenty big and would save cost both in
initial purchase and in long term use.

wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 28, 3:00?pm, (Bob) wrote:
I need to replace my 30 gal. gas hot water tank. When I go for the new
one, is it ok to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck, or should
it be transported upright?

Just curious and thanks.

Bob

on side gently is fine. I would get a larger tank, its nice to have
more hot water and is a polus at home resale time.

I HAD a 30 gallon once, it was always running out of hot water- Hide quoted text -

small house, 2BR with one bath , a 30 gallon may be plenty big

A small house, 2BR with one bath could easily mean 2 adults and 4
kids, all needing showers in the morning and ton of laundry. Been
there, done that.

The size of the house has a whole lot less to do with the sizing of
the HWH than the usage requirements do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 29, 4:17 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
They are used in trailers "mobile homes". Sometimes a 40 gal won't fit
through the access door. DAMHIKT.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

wrote in message

ups.com...

I've seen a lot of new construction in NJ recently and have never seen
a 30 gal.

40 gallon is thre biggest seller and they put the arrows pointing up
on the box for a reson transport upright as you can and possible
damage the tank 30 yrs plumbing and a brother in law who is a rep for
a tank company tells me Iam right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They are used in trailers "mobile homes". Sometimes a 40 gal won't fit
through the access door. DAMHIKT.

--

Christopher A. Young
.
.

wrote in message

oups.com...

I've seen a lot of new construction in NJ recently and have never seen
a 30 gal.

40 gallon is thre biggest seller and they put the arrows pointing up
on the box for a reson transport upright as you can and possible
damage the tank 30 yrs plumbing and a brother in law who is a rep for
a tank company tells me Iam right.

most folks lay them down to take home, having a van i have hauled many
this way for myself and friends

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Bob
wrote:

I need to replace my 30 gal. gas hot water tank. When I go for the new
one, is it ok to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck, or should
it be transported upright?

Just curious and thanks.

Bob

You can lay it on its side for transport. There is nothing inside the
tank that will be damaged by laying it down, like some refrigerators,
for example.

If it is in a carton, make sure the gas regulator and other fittings
are facing up. If not in a carton, you should protect the tank with
blankets or other padding, with the gas & pressure fittings facing up,
and make sure it can't roll.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you like me keep your tank on the cool side, so that full hot
doesnt scald you, it reduces the effective volume of hot water
available, but adds much life to your tank by reducing thermal shock
by hot and cold cycles.

but cool folks like me benefit more by a larger tank