Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Raising Tree Level

My yard tends to flood so I am raising the whole yard 16 feet by
having fill brought in. I had a company lift the house and put in a
new basement. I removed all the fences and posts. The filling has
begun. The problem are my trees. I thought that when soil was dumped
around trees, the trees would just rise to the soil level. It's not
working that way. I guess I need to add something to the trees. What
can I do to make the trees lift to the new soil level? I must have
dumb trees because they are only about 20 feet tall and if they stay
where they are, there will only be branches showing.

Ned
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 1:09 am, wrote:
My yard tends to flood so I am raising the whole yard 16 feet by
having fill brought in. I had a company lift the house and put in a
new basement. I removed all the fences and posts. The filling has
begun. The problem are my trees. I thought that when soil was dumped
around trees, the trees would just rise to the soil level. It's not
working that way. I guess I need to add something to the trees. What
can I do to make the trees lift to the new soil level? I must have
dumb trees because they are only about 20 feet tall and if they stay
where they are, there will only be branches showing.

You should have built dam walls around the property, then let it
flood, which would have floated the house _and_ the trees to whatever
level you wanted. My guess is that you're pretty damn high.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sixteen feet? I think your only two choices will be to: 1) have the trees
dug up by a professional, do the 16 foot fill, then have them replanted on
top of the 16 foot fill; or, 2) have the trees removed, do the fill, then
plant new trees. There is no magic way to bury a 20-foot tree with 16 feet
of fill and have it survive.

wrote in message
My yard tends to flood so I am raising the whole yard 16 feet by
having fill brought in. I had a company lift the house and put in a
new basement. I removed all the fences and posts. The filling has
begun. The problem are my trees. I thought that when soil was dumped
around trees, the trees would just rise to the soil level. It's not
working that way. I guess I need to add something to the trees. What
can I do to make the trees lift to the new soil level? I must have
dumb trees because they are only about 20 feet tall and if they stay
where they are, there will only be branches showing.

Ned

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Oct, 01:09, wrote:
My yard tends to flood so I am raising the whole yard 16 feet by
having fill brought in. I had a company lift the house and put in a
new basement. I removed all the fences and posts. The filling has
begun. The problem are my trees. I thought that when soil was dumped
around trees, the trees would just rise to the soil level. It's not
working that way. I guess I need to add something to the trees. What
can I do to make the trees lift to the new soil level? I must have
dumb trees because they are only about 20 feet tall and if they stay
where they are, there will only be branches showing.

Ned

Option 1 -

Trees are made of wood.
Wood floats.
With enough water, the trees will float to the surface.
Get out your hose.

Option 2 -

Get a lot of 2 x 4's.
Cut the trees off at the current ground level.
Set them aside.
Add your fill.
Stand the trees up and brace them with the 2 x4's.
Wait for the roots to grow back.
Remove the 2 x 4's.
Build a shed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"BETA-32" wrote:

Sixteen feet? I think your only two choices will be to: 1) have the trees
dug up by a professional, do the 16 foot fill, then have them replanted on
top of the 16 foot fill; or, 2) have the trees removed, do the fill, then
plant new trees. There is no magic way to bury a 20-foot tree with 16 feet
of fill and have it survive.

Um, Beta? You there? This was a JOKE. Try to pay attention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:25:03 -0400, "BETA-32"
wrote:

Sixteen feet? I think your only two choices will be to: 1) have the trees
dug up by a professional, do the 16 foot fill, then have them replanted on
top of the 16 foot fill; or, 2) have the trees removed, do the fill, then
plant new trees. There is no magic way to bury a 20-foot tree with 16 feet
of fill and have it survive.

The solution which will work to the ultimate is not to wreck the
trees, house or lawn. Four hot air balloons are needed. Then sink
four screw in stakes simlar to those spiral things used to tie a dog
outside on the lawn, but much larger. Place one in each corner of the
yard. Connect the hot air balloons and inflate them using their
regular propane fired devices. While the balloons are inflating, take
a large chain saw and cut all the way around the edge of the lot,
going about 2 feet deep. Be sure to cut the entire perimeter of the
yard. After a few minutes the entire yard will begin to lift, house,
trees, grass and everything. You will need an expert on hand that
knows how to control hot air balloons so the yard stays fairly level,
and does not float away. Raise the whole yard about 50 feet in the
air, have your dirt fill delivered immediately, so have the trucks
waiting and ready. Dump the 16 feet of fill and carefully lower the
yard back into position. You might need a few cables and large
tractors or skid loaders to pull the yard into position to insure it's
positioned properly and within the lot lines. Once the whole thing is
lowered, remove the balloons and stakes and you are all set. You wont
even notice that your house and yard are 16 feet higher since your
whole yard will look the same as it did before. Just be careful when
you have your "job completion" beer party. Anyone who gets too drunk
might fall off the edge of the yard and end up in a hospital.

wrote in message
.. .
My yard tends to flood so I am raising the whole yard 16 feet by
having fill brought in. I had a company lift the house and put in a
new basement. I removed all the fences and posts. The filling has
begun. The problem are my trees. I thought that when soil was dumped
around trees, the trees would just rise to the soil level. It's not
working that way. I guess I need to add something to the trees. What
can I do to make the trees lift to the new soil level? I must have
dumb trees because they are only about 20 feet tall and if they stay
where they are, there will only be branches showing.

Ned

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:25:03 -0400, "BETA-32"
wrote:

This may well be a joke especially at 16' -- but it is not uncommon to
salvage mature trees 8' below finished grade by building a protective wall
around a tree. Like a very deep "pot bunker" you might see on a golf course.
I assume the walls are placed at the drip line. If you have 50 to 100+ year
old trees on a college campus, or public park they are irreplaceable and
thus extremely valuable. Hence the expense is well justified.

Raising level of deck. JohnnyC Home Repair 0 July 20th 07 08:50 PM
Raising concrete floor level Andy Burns UK diy 4 September 28th 06 08:44 PM
Raising the level of external grids J&K UK diy 2 July 11th 06 10:37 PM
raising floor level nafuk UK diy 1 March 11th 06 05:04 PM
Tree Roots from neighbor's tree causing sewer problem Keller, TX??? mscraven Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 12:06 AM