Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Lighting Fixture Problem

I had a fluorescent lighting fixture in my kitchen that would only
turn on, usually, with many attempt at the lighting switch. I decided
finally to replace the fixture, but it won't turn on at all. I have
found the "hot" wire in the ceiling box by using a continuity tester
with one probe connected to the hot wire and the other to a ground--
the tester glowed. The wall switch does stop and allow the current to
flow to the hot wire. Next I attached an incandescent bulb fixture
and bulb by attaching one wire of the incandescent fixture to the hot
wire in the ceiling box and the other fixture wire to the other
(neutral?) wire. The switch will not turn the incandescent bulb on.

My first question is whether there is a test to see whether the non-
hot wire in the ceiling (the putative neutral wire) is in good order?
Secondarily, if that is the wrong question, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

From what you describe, your switch is wired to the neutral, and the hot leg
goes directly to the fixture. It also sounds like you have an open circuit
on the neutral. With the switch on you should get a light between the hot
and neutral wires at the fixture. Open the switch box, wire the hot leg to
the switch and verify your neutral connections, which should just be
connected together under a wire nut

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
From what you describe, your switch is wired to the neutral, and the hot

leg
goes directly to the fixture. It also sounds like you have an open circuit
on the neutral. With the switch on you should get a light between the hot
and neutral wires at the fixture. Open the switch box, wire the hot leg to
the switch and verify your neutral connections, which should just be
connected together under a wire nut

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Also, change the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I misread your original post. If the switch makes and breaks the hot leg,
but a pigtail socket connected to the hot leg and the neutral, doesn't turn
on the light, you have an open neutral. Check for a loose neutral connection
in the switch box

ups.com...