Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing shower faucet

The 35-year-old faucet for my bathroom shower has a handle and a knob
-- one adjusts the temperature; the other adjusts the pressure --
which have become very hard to turn.

Since parts are no longer available for my faucet, I'd like to replace
it with a brand-new faucet.

However, all of the faucets at Home Depot and Lowes connect to 1/2"
water pipes. However, the water supplied to my shower is via a 3/4"
pipe.

The Home Depot guy said I'd have to open up the wall and replace the
3/4" pipes with 1/2" pipes. I'd prefer not doing that because the
shower has a fiberglass surround and the other side of the wall is not
accessible (cabinets, granite counter-tops, etc).

Does anyone know of any name-brand (i.e., Moen, Delta, American
Standard, etc) faucets that fit 3/4" pipes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
The 35-year-old faucet for my bathroom shower has a handle and a knob
-- one adjusts the temperature; the other adjusts the pressure --
which have become very hard to turn.

Since parts are no longer available for my faucet, I'd like to replace
it with a brand-new faucet.

However, all of the faucets at Home Depot and Lowes connect to 1/2"
water pipes. However, the water supplied to my shower is via a 3/4"
pipe.

The Home Depot guy said I'd have to open up the wall and replace the
3/4" pipes with 1/2" pipes. I'd prefer not doing that because the
shower has a fiberglass surround and the other side of the wall is not
accessible (cabinets, granite counter-tops, etc).

Does anyone know of any name-brand (i.e., Moen, Delta, American
Standard, etc) faucets that fit 3/4" pipes?

Do you have room for a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer? If so that's an easy solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 20, 1:11 pm, "DonC" wrote:
"gary" wrote in message

oups.com...

The 35-year-old faucet for my bathroom shower has a handle and a knob
-- one adjusts the temperature; the other adjusts the pressure --
which have become very hard to turn.

Since parts are no longer available for my faucet, I'd like to replace
it with a brand-new faucet.

However, all of the faucets at Home Depot and Lowes connect to 1/2"
water pipes. However, the water supplied to my shower is via a 3/4"
pipe.

The Home Depot guy said I'd have to open up the wall and replace the
3/4" pipes with 1/2" pipes. I'd prefer not doing that because the
shower has a fiberglass surround and the other side of the wall is not
accessible (cabinets, granite counter-tops, etc).

Does anyone know of any name-brand (i.e., Moen, Delta, American
Standard, etc) faucets that fit 3/4" pipes?

Do you have room for a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer? If so that's an easy solution.- Hide quoted text -

Unless you want to buy commercial taps which are very expensiv just
use 3/4 to 1/2 fittings why do people waste there time with 3/4 when
in most places the meter is 1/2 coming out and then restrictes the
system to that flow rate and all taps are 9.5 ltrs a min output no
matter what

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 20, 1:11 pm, "DonC" wrote:
"gary" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

A short restriction does not reduce the flow as much as a long restriction. The
larger pipe results in better flow.
Q.E.D.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

"jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 20, 1:11 pm, "DonC" wrote:
"gary" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

9.5 ltrs a min??? wow that would suck big time... my shower alone uses about
14ltrs a min. How long would it take to fill a bath at 9.5ltrs a min?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 11:53 am, gary wrote:
The 35-year-old faucet for my bathroom shower has a handle and a knob
-- one adjusts the temperature; the other adjusts the pressure --
which have become very hard to turn.

Since parts are no longer available for my faucet, I'd like to replace
it with a brand-new faucet.

However, all of the faucets at Home Depot and Lowes connect to 1/2"
water pipes. However, the water supplied to my shower is via a 3/4"
pipe.

The Home Depot guy said I'd have to open up the wall and replace the
3/4" pipes with 1/2" pipes. I'd prefer not doing that because the
shower has a fiberglass surround and the other side of the wall is not
accessible (cabinets, granite counter-tops, etc).

Does anyone know of any name-brand (i.e., Moen, Delta, American
Standard, etc) faucets that fit 3/4" pipes?

Are you sure that parts are no longer available?? What brand is the
old faucet. I have been able to find parts for faucets over 50 years
old.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 20, 8:23 pm, "stu" wrote:

.snip

How long would it take to fill a bath at 9.5ltrs a min?

Around 10 minutes more or less...

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 21, 9:20 pm, Joe wrote:
On Oct 20, 8:23 pm, "stu" wrote:

.snip

How long would it take to fill a bath at 9.5ltrs a min?

Around 10 minutes more or less...

Joe

If your taps are 10 yrs or newer they are 9.5 by law this is standard
for Meon Delta Amer Standerd Kohler. My tub fills just fine and the
shower is good.