Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bamboo florring and concrete subfloor

I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen
area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear
conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but
there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards
suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice!
Thanks
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:08:09 -0700, chris
wrote:

I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen
area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear
conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but
there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards
suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice!
Thanks
Chris

Got a link for the material? Some flooring types need to expand and
contract. Some need a _quality_ glue. Both can be bamboo, I suppose.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

chris wrote:
I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen
area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear
conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but
there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards
suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice!
Thanks

Wooden flooring is generally glued to some sort of cushion and the cushion
is glued to the subfloor. If the wood is glued directly to concrete,
something's gotta give as the humidity changes. I've heard a wooden floor
may expand as much as 1/2" inch as the humidity goes from 30% to 60%.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

chris wrote:
I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen
area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear
conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but
there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards
suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice!

Instead of message boards and usenet, I've a novel thought.

Go to the site(s) of the manufacturer(s) of the product(s) you're
interested in and get the skinny on installation from those who are in
position to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:54:31 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Wooden flooring is generally glued to some sort of cushion and the cushion
is glued to the subfloor. If the wood is glued directly to concrete,
something's gotta give as the humidity changes. I've heard a wooden floor
may expand as much as 1/2" inch as the humidity goes from 30% to 60%.

Some quality glues have a moisture inhibitor/blocker.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Over concrete a floating floor installation is usually recommended over a
moisture barier layer. You can get click-together bamaboo which is a
floating installation. This example is from a Canadian distributer..

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10299914&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000& eCat=BCCA|20076&N=4009370&Mo=15&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogN ame:BCCA&cat=20238&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang= en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

"chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen
area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear
conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but
there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards
suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice!
Thanks
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Wooden flooring is generally glued to some sort of cushion and the
cushion is glued to the subfloor. If the wood is glued directly to
concrete, something's gotta give as the humidity changes. I've heard
a wooden floor may expand as much as 1/2" inch as the humidity goes
from 30% to 60%.

Some quality glues have a moisture inhibitor/blocker.

Right. I was refering to humidity in the AIR.