Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why did back coil refrigerators vanish?

I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

Just curious...

TIA!

Posted to alt.home.repair

jetgraphics wrote in
ups.com:

I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

Just curious...

TIA!

perhaps they were more subject to damage?
and you have to move the fridge to clean them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

jetgraphics wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

Actually they did collect dust, but the primary reason for moving them underneat
was to get the fridge closer to the wall. Looks better when the frige isn't
enclosed and keep things stored on top from getting pushed off the back.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Blaine wrote:
jetgraphics wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

Actually they did collect dust, but the primary reason for moving them underneat
was to get the fridge closer to the wall. Looks better when the frige isn't
enclosed and keep things stored on top from getting pushed off the back.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Also, I have a fridge with the
compressor and coils up top, and they
too, get
dirty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jetgraphics" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

Just curious...

TIA!

I suspect it was when self-defrosting units came to be. They need some place
to drain the water. The heat from the coils along with the fan works to
evaporate the water from the drain pan so you don't need a drain through the
floor.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 2:11 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
jetgraphics wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

Actually they did collect dust, but the primary reason for moving them underneat
was to get the fridge closer to the wall. Looks better when the frige isn't
enclosed and keep things stored on top from getting pushed off the back.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

--- the primary reason for moving them underneat was to get the
fridge closer to the wall

That, and the elimination of the need for ventilation above the unit.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't "build in" a fridge with coils on the
back without providing gap above the unit for the heat to escape
through. That can be difficult if there are cabinets directly above
the fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 9:39 pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"jetgraphics" wrote in message

ups.com...I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

Just curious...

TIA!

I suspect it was when self-defrosting units came to be. They need some place
to drain the water. The heat from the coils along with the fan works to
evaporate the water from the drain pan so you don't need a drain through the
floor.

Don Young

They made self-defrosting units for a long time with coils in the
back. The one I have now from mid 80s is made that way and I know
they were made in the 70's with auto defrost and coils too. Not sure
when the non-exposed coil units first appearerd, but I would guess
90's?

Definitely better, as you don't have to worry about the exposed coils
in back when moving it and it goes back close to flush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My best guess at this is because people are stupid, and don't read the
manufacturers recomendations which specify minimum distances around
the refrigerator (specifically to dissipate the heat). Sine they know
you are going to cram in a refrigerator that will take up nearly 100%
of the space available, they put it at the bottom so they can vent it
out the bottom front.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jetgraphics writes:
I was wondering if anyone knows why the "old fashioned" back mounted
coil refrigerators were replaced with bottom mounted coils?

Back coil mounts didn't become as filthy nor did they need a fan to
blow air over them.

My theory: look at the volume occupied by a rear-mounted condenser with
the appropriate amount of air space behind the fridge (and above it as
well). That's a lot of volume that isn't storing anything cold. By
using a fan-cooled condenser, the refrigerator case can be about 3
inches deeper and a couple inches higher and still fit into the same
space without projecting any further into the room. That gives a
significant increase in inside room if the box insulation remains the
same thickness, or allows thicker insulation (for better efficiency)
while keeping the interior volume the same.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

no doubt the current style is at least a bit cheaper to build
manufacturers will do anything to save a dime multiplied by millions
it makes big bucks

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to , Frustrated wrote:
Absolutely! I would gladly have the "ugly" back coils again, at least you
could keep an eye on them and clean when necessary. Just learned the hard way
that vacuuming the front grill cover like manual says does absolutely nothing.
The condenser coils are zigzagged underneath in a way no vacuum can reach.
Have a 2 year old warped and ruined bamboo floor to remind me now that I
should have bought the brush (that no one tells you about) and been cleaning
this inaccessible part every 6 months or so.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...sh-257822-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 12:44:06 PM UTC-4, Frustrated wrote:

The condenser coils are zigzagged underneath in a way no vacuum can reach.
Have a 2 year old warped and ruined bamboo floor to remind me now that I
should have bought the brush (that no one tells you about) and been cleaning
this inaccessible part every 6 months or so.

I have one refrigerator where the coils are horizontal and stacked. That special brush will get between them.

But my other one has angled coils in a \/\/ configuration (side view). From the front you can vacuum the front \ of the coil. By moving away from the wall and taking the machine screws out and removing the back cover, you can vacuum the / of the coil. Well, part of it. That compressor makes access tricky.

However there is no way to get vacuum or brush anywhere near the inner /\ coils. I blow them off with a can of spray air, as best I can. It's better than nothing but doesn't really clean them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 11:54:35 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

However there is no way to get vacuum or brush anywhere near the inner /\ coils. I blow them off with a can of spray air, as best I can. It's better than nothing but doesn't really clean them.

+1 Unless your take the box outside and put some real air to dislodge
crud.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

However there is no way to get vacuum or brush anywhere near the inner /\ coils. I blow them off with a can of spray air, as best I can. It's better than nothing but doesn't really clean them.

+1 Unless your take the box outside and put some real air to dislodge
crud.

Or put it on the back deck and take the water hose to it. That will
remove a lot of what air won't touch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 4/21/2016 11:54 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

There is a way to clean them. I followed what this guy did on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms28ypfO2Jw

It does work. Just be very very sure that all three sides are completely
sealed or the dust will come flying out and go everywhere. I tried using
foam pipe insulators jammed in between the cabinets and the side of the
refrigerator. This did not stop all the dust from escaping out the sides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

9 year old post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/2016 2:50 PM, Oren wrote:

They make a coil cleaner for outside condenser coils , then hosed off.
Wouldn't it work outside on the fridge, too...

The coils are a different design. I'd expect
the refrig coils don't really need such
chemical action.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to , James Printy wrote:
Amen! The only way I can figure how to clean the coils underneath the frig is
tape a plastic garbage bag on the front of frig, take back off, and drag my
air hose from garage into kitchen and blow the dust out. Garbage bag traps
most of dust but not all and cleaning the blade on blower is a pain too. Like
to have the old ones with coil on back.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...sh-257822-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 11:44:07 PM UTC-4, James Printy wrote:
Like
to have the old ones with coil on back.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...sh-257822-.htm

I just bought one with coils on the back. It is a small hotel sized one (not the mini dorm size, but just slightly under 18 cu ft.) I was very careful moving it, those coils run the full height of the fridge and look very fragile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 03:44:02 +0000, James Printy
wrote:

replying to , James Printy wrote:
Amen! The only way I can figure how to clean the coils underneath the frig is
tape a plastic garbage bag on the front of frig, take back off, and drag my
air hose from garage into kitchen and blow the dust out. Garbage bag traps
most of dust but not all and cleaning the blade on blower is a pain too. Like
to have the old ones with coil on back.

They might sell a special brush for this, long and thin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
Mine is the same. Its impossible to get to the inner coils. I tried bending
the special brush at a 45 degree angle to get to it. Does not do a decent job.
Please, does anyone have a better way?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...sh-257822-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
Mine is the same. Its impossible to get to the inner coils. I tried bending
the special brush at a 45 degree angle to get to it. Does not do a
decent job.
Please, does anyone have a better way?

The last time I had this problem, I had the gardener come in and blow it
out with his leaf blower. Seriously. I wheeled the fridge over to the
door so the stuff would blow outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 12:15:42 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
Mine is the same. Its impossible to get to the inner coils. I tried bending
the special brush at a 45 degree angle to get to it. Does not do a
decent job.
Please, does anyone have a better way?

The last time I had this problem, I had the gardener come in and blow it
out with his leaf blower. Seriously. I wheeled the fridge over to the
door so the stuff would blow outside.

think compressor. can make a dirt. put fridge or whatever outside so the dust blows away.

i have fixed office machines for a lifetime. there was a nun in charge of a catholic school. they used super cheap paper in the copier. clean up was a mess. one day i moved the copier outside and blew the paper dust out with compressor.

it was a windy day, the dust blew away, but the nun was mad i had done this.. till i reminded her it saved her 75 bucks for a hours labor, with my vacuum and artists brush....

she said ok but dont do it again......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 11:37:51 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

i have fixed office machines for a lifetime.

You were born that way?

Mom sent you home in a taxi, being to ugly?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
[...]

Me and my brother have 20lb CO2 tanks of the type used with soft drink dispensing machines. The liquid CO2 boiling into gas inside the tanks lasts a long time for uses like inflating tires, blowing dirt out HVAC equipment, checking pipes for leaks and blowing dirt out of computers plus other office equipment. A computer, even in the cleanest of offices, will fill up with dust elephants in no time. We'd take the computers from a business outside, to the loading dock if there was one, then blow the dirt out of them with CO2 at 100psi. The people there couldn't believe how muck dirt we got out of their machines. We couldn't turn off the big Cisco routers and switches to clean them so we used a combination of the CO2, tarp material cut to size for the purpose and a shop-vac. Any office equipment with a cooling fan would get full of dust. I like business computers because they usually have one latch to pull in order to remove a side cover which makes servicing them so much easier. Oh yea, me and my brother were tortured by nuns when we were little kids. We still have nightmares about giant penguins chasing us. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dust Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
Mine is the same. Its impossible to get to the inner coils. I tried bending
the special brush at a 45 degree angle to get to it. Does not do a
decent job.
Please, does anyone have a better way?

The last time I had this problem, I had the gardener come in and blow it
out with his leaf blower. Seriously. I wheeled the fridge over to the
door so the stuff would blow outside.

think compressor. can make a dirt. put fridge or whatever outside so the dust blows away.

I didn't have a compressor and was helping at a friends house. the
gardener happened to be there, so . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2016 4:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Oh yea, me and my brother were tortured by nuns when we were little kids. We still have nightmares about giant penguins chasing us. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dust Monster

Choirboy #1: I have to go to confession today so I'm a bit worried.

You know our priest a long time. What would he give
for committing sodomy?

Choirboy #2: Usually two chocolate bars.

Q: How do you get a nun pregnant?
A: Dress her up as an altar boy.

Q: What do you call a nun after a sex change operation?
A: A tran-sistor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 5:01:08 PM UTC-5, Father Guido Sarducci wrote:
On 8/7/2016 4:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Oh yea, me and my brother were tortured by nuns when we were little kids. We still have nightmares about giant penguins chasing us. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dust Monster

Choirboy #1: I have to go to confession today so I'm a bit worried.

You know our priest a long time. What would he give
for committing sodomy?

Choirboy #2: Usually two chocolate bars.

Q: How do you get a nun pregnant?
A: Dress her up as an altar boy.

Q: What do you call a nun after a sex change operation?
A: A tran-sistor.

You opened a new account just for that?! Christ! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Irreverent Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

i have fixed office machines for a lifetime.

You were born that way?

Mom sent you home in a taxi, being to ugly?

i graduated high school in 1975 and started repairing office machines and am still doing it today..i have repaired duplicators, thermofax machines, copiers. roll laminating machines plus a smattering of av equiptement. most of this for schools. its been challenging, fun at times, met lots of nice people. a few really dumb like the fill in secretary who dumped all the toner out of her copier twice to clean it. she couldnt understand why it wouldnt print........
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

i have fixed office machines for a lifetime.

You were born that way?

Mom sent you home in a taxi, being to ugly?

i graduated high school in 1975 and started repairing office machines and am still doing it today..i have repaired duplicators, thermofax machines, copiers. roll laminating machines plus a smattering of av equiptement. most of this for schools. its been challenging, fun at times, met lots of nice people. a few really dumb like the fill in secretary who dumped all the toner out of her copier twice to clean it. she couldnt understand why it wouldnt print........

When I was a kid, I remember going to the school office, hearing loud mechanical noises and smelling something that I thought a bit odd. Someone said it was the mimeograph machine. This was many years before kids said WTF, at least out loud. When was the last time you saw one of these beasts? ^_^

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1946...AOSw0fhXiMu X

http://tinyurl.com/z28jt43

[8~{} Uncle Duplicate Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

every day ,,,,,,,,

new models are called risograph. they scan and produce the stencil that goes on the drum all automatically. they work well.

but require long runs to make the copies produced affordable.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've done some work with offset printing. I designed and built a cooling system that added humidity to the cooling air for an offset printer so it could use a newly developed ink that needed no water on the rollers. The owner of the ink company dropped dead of a heart attack while he watched a football game on TV. I hate football. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Disappointed Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
[...]

My desktop PC has a foam filter I made in the unused 3 - 5 1/4" drive
bays with a 5" fan behind it, with the fan speed adjusted so the
internal pressure inside the PC is is positive relative to room
pressure. All the cooling air comes through the filter, and everything
inside the PC case stays way cleaner than without the filter. I just
pull out the filter once in a while and vac it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
[...]

That's something I've had in some of my towers that I built. I purchased the cases based on the fact that they had factory filters. A lot of rack mount server cases are also manufactured with built in filters. I've even cut squares of the foam filter material made for HVAC systems and stuck them on the front of my computer case vent with toothpicks or paperclips. Dirt is the enemy. My 42lb Dell Precision workstations have huge heatsinks inside that don't build up dirt that quickly because of the surface area but are really easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner, paint brush and some canned air. I have a lot of Dell desktop computers and they're so easy to service because I can pull one latch and the side cover comes off. In the good old days when I was building systems it took a bucket of screws to put one together. I'm lazy theses days and want something easy to work on. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

On 8/7/2016 9:14 AM, dirt wrote:
replying to TimR, dirt wrote:
[...]

She didn't have the kids clean the erasers by banging them against the
outside wall?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster
Mon, 08
Aug 2016 04:01:41 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

When I was a kid, I remember going to the school office, hearing
loud mechanical noises and smelling something that I thought a bit
odd. Someone said it was the mimeograph machine. This was many
years before kids said WTF, at least out loud. When was the last
time you saw one of these beasts? ^_^

Hehehe. Those were in some of the grade schools i've had the... ehm,
pleasure of attending some years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/z28jt43

It's been a very long time.

--
MID:
zip file but then not be able to unzip it so I can watch it. That
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to , OkieEngineer wrote:
You nailed it! Under-side coils are impossible to get very clean. And, as
they clog-up with dust, the condenser temps go up, which means the compressor
pressures go way up, shortening the compressor life. The old-style rear
condenser units are WAY more reliable. I've seen them run 40+ years.
It might be true that the fan-cooled coils are more efficient, but that
efficiency will be gone within a month in most households where the coils will
quickly get covered with dust.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...sh-257822-.htm