Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of satellite converter boxes.....

I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

What, the three mobile homes are on the same lot?

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote in
:

I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

Clever!
But,I wonder if he could be prosecuted for cable signal fraud? That usage
may be contrary to the subscription agreement.
(with possible BIG fines)
Wouldn't DirectTV notice that 2 of their boxes are on different phone
lines?

Heck,they might even monitor UseNet newsgroups for this sort of info.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

DirecTV DOES allow you to split the subscription if you have a home and
a vacation home. But I think what is described by the OP is probably
fraudulent.

--Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

But,I wonder if he could be prosecuted for cable signal fraud? That usage
may be contrary to the subscription agreement.
(with possible BIG fines)
Wouldn't DirectTV notice that 2 of their boxes are on different phone
lines?

There is no requirement for DirecTV to be on a phone line for normal operations.
None of ours have been since they were activated. As far as that goes, what's
to stop someone from bringing all the receivers to the subscriber's house to get
activated, then carrying them back to their ultimate home? DirecTV can't tell
where the signal goes, since it goes everywhere anyway.

Would this be fraudulent? Hell, yes. The chances of getting caught are nil but
if you do I'd imagine it'd be your ass.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

What exactly is your point?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

But,I wonder if he could be prosecuted for cable signal fraud? That
usage may be contrary to the subscription agreement.
(with possible BIG fines)
Wouldn't DirectTV notice that 2 of their boxes are on different phone
lines?

There is no requirement for DirecTV to be on a phone line for normal
operations.

Yes,I knew that,but if you want any PPV channels,you do.

None of ours have been since they were activated. As far
as that goes, what's to stop someone from bringing all the receivers
to the subscriber's house to get activated, then carrying them back to
their ultimate home? DirecTV can't tell where the signal goes, since
it goes everywhere anyway.

Would this be fraudulent? Hell, yes. The chances of getting caught
are nil but if you do I'd imagine it'd be your ass.

maybe they'll put GPS chips inside the boxes..... ;-(

BTW,wouldn't the other two homes also have to buy their own dishes and
LNBs?
IIRC,one LNB can drive up to 4 converter boxes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Oct 2007 16:56:49 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in
m:

Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

My friend said that all 3 homes subscribed to Direct TV for a year.
This gave them all the hardware and installation free.

After the year, one of them had Direct TV install 3 more boxes in the
single home and added all the channels. This gave one subscriber 4
boxes with every channel.

The other two dropped their service and used 2 of the 4 boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

This is old news to satellite providers. Satellite TV companies do
unannounced phone audits of customers with multiple boxes; if you don't
respond to the audit they shut down your service; if you can't provide data
on all of your boxes they can (will!) stop service to the suspect units --
and you'll never get them back onto the same base plan again.

Sounds like a good way to start up intra-family squabbles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:45:51 -0400, "JimR"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

This is old news to satellite providers. Satellite TV companies do
unannounced phone audits of customers with multiple boxes; if you don't
respond to the audit they shut down your service; if you can't provide data
on all of your boxes they can (will!) stop service to the suspect units --
and you'll never get them back onto the same base plan again.

Sounds like a good way to start up intra-family squabbles.

DTV can do an instant binary edit/write to the card, but not without a
phone line connected. IIRC.

Up to the death of HU cards and the early P5 card a Satellite had no
beariing on an "audit".

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

But,I wonder if he could be prosecuted for cable signal fraud? That
usage may be contrary to the subscription agreement.
(with possible BIG fines)
Wouldn't DirectTV notice that 2 of their boxes are on different phone
lines?

There is no requirement for DirecTV to be on a phone line for normal
operations.

Yes,I knew that,but if you want any PPV channels,you do.

No you don't. Use the website.

None of ours have been since they were activated. As far
as that goes, what's to stop someone from bringing all the receivers
to the subscriber's house to get activated, then carrying them back to
their ultimate home? DirecTV can't tell where the signal goes, since
it goes everywhere anyway.

Would this be fraudulent? Hell, yes. The chances of getting caught
are nil but if you do I'd imagine it'd be your ass.

maybe they'll put GPS chips inside the boxes..... ;-(

BTW,wouldn't the other two homes also have to buy their own dishes and
LNBs?
IIRC,one LNB can drive up to 4 converter boxes.

There is no such limit. I've seen multiswitches that handle 16
receivers. These can be cascaded for even more.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:45:51 -0400, "JimR"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

This is old news to satellite providers. Satellite TV companies do
unannounced phone audits of customers with multiple boxes; if you don't
respond to the audit they shut down your service; if you can't provide data
on all of your boxes they can (will!) stop service to the suspect units --
and you'll never get them back onto the same base plan again.

I've had 2 receivers for at least 4 years. They were never connected
to a phoneline during that time, and have had no problems.

Sounds like a good way to start up intra-family squabbles.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had DTV for 10 years and never hooked up to phone line after the first
year. Nearby lighting strikes roasted the modem in the receiver so I never
bothered to connect the phone line after that. Never been phone audited and
order ppv through their web sight.
What is the phone audit all about anyway, are you saying you get a call from
DTV wanting s/n's from your receivers?

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:45:51 -0400, "JimR"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

This is how we get around the NFL "blackout" rule.

Our Direct TV is registered at our camp well outside the 100 mile
radius(there are dishes at both home & the cabin).

Works like a charm.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

providers call and ask for unique numbers from each box they change by
satellite, if you cant walk around your home and give them numbers
from each box you get shut down.

doing thisa is the same as going in a store and stealing merchandise

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

providers call and ask for unique numbers from each box they change by
satellite, if you cant walk around your home and give them numbers
from each box you get shut down.

doing thisa is the same as going in a store and stealing merchandise

No it is not. If you steal something from a store then the store no
longer has it.

It is NOT the same thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

providers call and ask for unique numbers from each box they change by
satellite, if you cant walk around your home and give them numbers
from each box you get shut down.

doing thisa is the same as going in a store and stealing merchandise

No it is not. If you steal something from a store then the store no
longer has it.

It is NOT the same thing.

Right. Is it even something wrong?

1. You paid (the sat company) to see the game. Didn't you?

2. The sat signal is already available both places. The losses
experienced by the provider are not affected by WHERE you are when you
watch the game.

I think that idea of it being "stealing" is corporate propaganda,
repeated by people who haven't really thought about it themselves.

Some people are going to be saying something like "your local stadium
lost a ticket sale because of it". Then what the [expletive deleted]
are they doing with YOUR money, so as to be able to lose it.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:19:57 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

wrote:
providers call and ask for unique numbers from each box they change by
satellite, if you cant walk around your home and give them numbers
from each box you get shut down.

doing thisa is the same as going in a store and stealing merchandise

Bull****. In 15 years with DirecTV they have never called for any reason. On
the few occasions I've needed to call them we discussed the offending receiver
and none of the others were even mentioned.

Once they asked me for a card number (to be sure we were talking about
the same receiver). There was no mention of a phone connection. Those
receivers were just a couple of feet apart, but they could have been
hundreds* of miles apart (and I wrote the card numbers down here) and
they'd never know.

&&&

* - that could been thousands, but I did call about a problem with
(spot beam) local channels.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The RIAA is going after people making copies of mp3's while 2 million
people are crossing the border illegally each year. It boggles my
little mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

No,because you may not have gone to the game anyways;didn't want to deal
with the traffic and crowds.(besides the tickets being overpriced,and good
seats already taken by corporations)

Then what the [expletive deleted]
are they doing with YOUR money, so as to be able to lose it.

The RIAA is going after people making copies of mp3's while 2 million
people are crossing the border illegally each year. It boggles my
little mind.

there's BIG MONEY in having illegal immigration,for some.....
makes MP3 file-sharing peanuts.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:46:44 -0400, trainfan1
wrote:

Terry wrote:
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

This is how we get around the NFL "blackout" rule.

Our Direct TV is registered at our camp well outside the 100 mile
radius(there are dishes at both home & the cabin).

Works like a charm.

Rob

Good for YOU!

Those fancy RV's have rotating sat dishes and folks watch as they
travel. Isn't life great. Have DTV on the road and in the home

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
providers call and ask for unique numbers from each box they change by
satellite, if you cant walk around your home and give them numbers
from each box you get shut down.

doing thisa is the same as going in a store and stealing merchandise

Bull****. In 15 years with DirecTV they have never called for any reason. On
the few occasions I've needed to call them we discussed the offending receiver
and none of the others were even mentioned.

Bull Malarkey. Wasn't the smart card just brought to market in 1999?

From '99 - ' 01 hackers had the upper hand on DTV. Why would a hacker
of digital signal, even be talking to DTV? It certainly would not be
because the receivers still in the market were hackable. The reason
DTV asked for the information and numbers.

DTV launched an electronic counter measure (ECM): known as Black
Sunday ( Super Bowl '01) They fought hackers, until Rupert Murdodck
bought the mess.

Yes, they did ask for receiver and card numbers during the War!

"It turned all these cards into ice scrapers," says a California
pirate.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/143

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Bull****. In 15 years with DirecTV they have never called for any reason.
On the few occasions I've needed to call them we discussed the offending
receiver and none of the others were even mentioned.

Bull Malarkey. Wasn't the smart card just brought to market in 1999?

From '99 - ' 01 hackers had the upper hand on DTV. Why would a hacker
of digital signal, even be talking to DTV? It certainly would not be
because the receivers still in the market were hackable. The reason
DTV asked for the information and numbers.

Who said anything about hacking? I don't hack nor did I hack back in the day.
Every now and then there'd be a reason to call them... say, the locals dropped
off a set for some reason. I'd call and they'd do whatever they do to get it
working again. We never talked about any of the other sets. Nor were any of
the sets plugged into a phone line. They're still not.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Dieterle" wrote in message

[snip]

What is the phone audit all about anyway, are you saying you get a call
from DTV wanting s/n's from your receivers?

Yes -- we have four receivers (Living Room, 2 Bedrooms, hobby room), and
about two months after installation we got a call auditing our use of the
receivers, asking for a couple of code numbers out of the software for each
receiver. This required going to each room, turning on the system and
getting setup info on the screen. Being careful and not sure who was
actually calling, I wouldn't answer their questions and asked for their
phone number. Then I called Dish TV (my provider) but their customer
service wasn't aware of what was happening (so I didn't return the auditer's
phone call). Two days later my satellite service was shut off, even though
I was paid up. I called CS again, they transferred me to the audit company,
and we went through our system receiver by receiver. They told me at the
time that they would shut down any receivers that couldn't be audited and
would start charging a monthly fee to have them reinstated. Within an hour
of the end of the audit satellite service was restored.

The audit was not particularly friendly (I won't go into details, but they
appeared to be starting from the position that I was cheating on them by
having receivers spread out in several houses.) There have been a few times
when I have seriously considered terminating the Dish TV service, and this
was one of those time. If I hadn't had a lot of my money already tied up by
purchasing the Dish receivers, I probably would have moved to Direct TV at
that time. I did make a formal complaint to Dish TV Customer Service about
this procedure, and it hasn't happened to me since.

It may be that if you only have two receivers you're a less visible
target -- certainly someone with four receivers is in the top few % of their
business and anyone trying to get away with having receivers in multiple
houses is likely to have four or more receivers, so we were an obvious
target --

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 04:16:52 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Oren wrote:
Bull****. In 15 years with DirecTV they have never called for any reason.
On the few occasions I've needed to call them we discussed the offending
receiver and none of the others were even mentioned.

Bull Malarkey. Wasn't the smart card just brought to market in 1999?

From '99 - ' 01 hackers had the upper hand on DTV. Why would a hacker
of digital signal, even be talking to DTV? It certainly would not be
because the receivers still in the market were hackable. The reason
DTV asked for the information and numbers.

Who said anything about hacking? I don't hack nor did I hack back in the day.
Every now and then there'd be a reason to call them... say, the locals dropped
off a set for some reason. I'd call and they'd do whatever they do to get it
working again. We never talked about any of the other sets. Nor were any of
the sets plugged into a phone line. They're still not.

My comment was directed: that yes, the provider of digital satellite
would dicuss various units with the customers. HallerB's comment (cut
out) was not bull****

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
My comment was directed: that yes, the provider of digital satellite
would dicuss various units with the customers. HallerB's comment (cut
out) was not bull****

It appears he's talking about his experience with Dish Network while I am
referring to mine with DirecTV.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:35:01 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Oren wrote:
My comment was directed: that yes, the provider of digital satellite
would dicuss various units with the customers. HallerB's comment (cut
out) was not bull****

It appears he's talking about his experience with Dish Network while I am
referring to mine with DirecTV.

I have DirecTV, and have never had that. They did ask for a card
number, but that I had called them about a problem.

I wouldn't feel right about providing information to an unknown
company either. Them shutting down my receivers would be a reason to
leave that provider.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 1:35?am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:
Oren wrote:
My comment was directed: that yes, the provider of digital satellite
would dicuss various units with the customers. HallerB's comment (cut
out) was not bull****

It appears he's talking about his experience with Dish Network while I am
referring to mine with DirecTV.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

both providers have audited customers over the years at various
times,

at times both providers have tried to tighten the phone line conection
rule and new technology will end account stacking.

all receivers on a account will talk to one another over the LNB
satellite lines, no communication no service, on this only one
receiver will need plugged into a phone line, and they can all call in
on one connection

I have been interested in satellite tv for over 10 years for more
discussion

http://www.satelliteguys.us

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 3:46?am, Joe Smut wrote:
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Oren wrote:
My comment was directed: that yes, the provider of digital satellite
would dicuss various units with the customers. HallerB's comment (cut
out) was not bull****

It appears he's talking about his experience with Dish Network while I am
referring to mine with DirecTV.

They both suck

You need to realize cable is way better today thanks to satellite
competition.

I waited 3 years for TVLAND on TCI cable then switched to dish and
havent looked back.

Dish has nice DVRs that have changed the way we look at tv forever.
what few rain fades we get in only blinding thunderstorms is way less
than cable outages from power failures and car accidents taking down
lines, heck we had some bad channels for MONTHS only in extreme cold
of nite. cable refused tio send out a tech unless it was a major
outage, it would of been overtime. yet the trouble went on for months
and right after we cancelled they finally found and replaced a bad
neighborhood amplifier, that was cold sensitive.

so why do you think satellite sucks? you work for a cable company?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:46:04 -0500, Joe Smut
wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Oren wrote:
My comment was directed: that yes, the provider of digital satellite
would dicuss various units with the customers. HallerB's comment (cut
out) was not bull****

It appears he's talking about his experience with Dish Network while I am
referring to mine with DirecTV.

They both suck

Any more than your cable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Oren wrote:
[...]

I have had Dish and Direct TV and was happy with both. The big
drawback in using either service is that you have to have a tuner box
in every room

I changed to Charter when broadband became available in our area (I
was one of the first customers) I have 3 sets and am glad I have no
tuners to rent. Tuners suck

One interesting thing I have noticed is that with cable I get my
signal about 2 seconds sooner than my sister. She lives in an area
where Satellite is all she can get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Oren wrote:
[...]

where Satellite is all she can get.- Hide quoted text -

the slight time delay reflects the speed of light from station to
uplink then compressing and scrambling them along with your receiver
descrambling and de compressing them.

dish offers 2 receiver boxes which help cut the cost of extra boxes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:15:42 -0700, "
wrote:

I have been interested in satellite tv for over 10 years for more
discussion

Study _emulation_ history.

The ability to read the card micro-processor and load into four megs a
RAM on x386 processor - booted from floppy. Satellites cannot edit the
emulator RAM (Random Access Memory).

That hacker was Rupert's first victim!

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have been interested in satellite tv for over 10 years for more
discussion

Study _emulation_ history.

The ability to read the card micro-processor and load into four megs a
RAM on x386 processor - booted from floppy. Satellites cannot edit the
emulator RAM (Random Access Memory).

That hacker was Rupert's first victim!

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."

I am NOT into theft, signal or otherwise.

I wouldnt walk out of a store without paying for the merchandise, and
wouldnt steal service either

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Oren wrote:
[...]

Although one of those does require RF remote control, which interferes
with connecting it to a stand-alone DVR.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have been interested in satellite tv for over 10 years for more
discussion

Study _emulation_ history.

The ability to read the card micro-processor and load into four megs a
RAM on x386 processor - booted from floppy. Satellites cannot edit the
emulator RAM (Random Access Memory).

That hacker was Rupert's first victim!

Oren

I am NOT into theft, signal or otherwise.

I wouldnt walk out of a store without paying for the merchandise, and
wouldnt steal service either

I did not suggest that, but only a study of your interest _in
satellite tv_ .

--
Oren

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:21:36 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

dish offers 2 receiver boxes which help cut the cost of extra boxes

Although one of those does require RF remote control, which interferes
with connecting it to a stand-alone DVR.

I tried one of those RF remote extenders once. It was crap.
The Radio Shack pyramid transmitter/receiver setup is the best way to
go to control a tuner box from another room.

http://www.x10.com/automation/pm5900_s.html