Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Dieterle Jeff Dieterle is offline

Default Speaking of satellite converter boxes.....

I've had DTV for 10 years and never hooked up to phone line after the first
year. Nearby lighting strikes roasted the modem in the receiver so I never
bothered to connect the phone line after that. Never been phone audited and
order ppv through their web sight.
What is the phone audit all about anyway, are you saying you get a call from
DTV wanting s/n's from your receivers?

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 19:45:51 -0400, "JimR"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
. ..
I have a friend that is splitting his subscription 3 ways.

Direct TV is furnishing him the full package. It runs around 110$ a
month last time we talked about it. Plus he pays $5x3 for the extra
boxes.

He has 2 of the boxes in his house and one at his parents house and
one at his wife's parents house. 3 families split 125 and get
everything.

This is old news to satellite providers. Satellite TV companies do
unannounced phone audits of customers with multiple boxes; if you don't
respond to the audit they shut down your service; if you can't provide
data
on all of your boxes they can (will!) stop service to the suspect units --
and you'll never get them back onto the same base plan again.

I've had 2 receivers for at least 4 years. They were never connected
to a phoneline during that time, and have had no problems.

Sounds like a good way to start up intra-family squabbles.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin