Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawnmower suggestions?

I am looking at giving a gift of a lawnmower to a first time home
purchaser. I can fully remember my first house and how relatives
were very generous in giving us the help we needed in establishing
a nice home. It's now my turn to be generous so hopefully I can get
some first hand knowledge from the people of this group. Here are
the details.

The property is four acres in size and hilly. It is in a northern
climate and has a long driveway.

So.........I need a riding mower that can have a optional snow plow
or blower attached to it. I favor hydrostatic drives over standard
transmissions and because of the hills the mower should have a low
center of gravity.

I have never owned a riding mower myself so fill me in on what may be
a good choice and let me know what to stay away from.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am looking at giving a gift of a lawnmower to a first time home
purchaser. I can fully remember my first house and how relatives
were very generous in giving us the help we needed in establishing
a nice home. It's now my turn to be generous so hopefully I can get
some first hand knowledge from the people of this group. Here are
the details.

The property is four acres in size and hilly. It is in a northern
climate and has a long driveway.

So.........I need a riding mower that can have a optional snow plow
or blower attached to it. I favor hydrostatic drives over standard
transmissions and because of the hills the mower should have a low
center of gravity.

I have never owned a riding mower myself so fill me in on what may be
a good choice and let me know what to stay away from.

Thanks.

try alt.home.lawn.garden

They can be a little rambunctious but they might have some good advice too.
I just bought a Craftsman but had to return the first one (mower deck height
was to low)
but in the end I got a new one built just two days before I received it.
I favored the shift on the fender and the full pressure oil system because I
have hills too
I think you would want a larger deck because of the acreage.
They have good advice for older equipment too.
the one that I bought:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128738000P?filter=Horsepower%7C22+ hp&vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Lawn+Tractors&sName =Lawn+Tractor+Series&sLevel=2|3
Clark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am looking at giving a gift of a lawnmower to a first time home
purchaser. I can fully remember my first house and how relatives
were very generous in giving us the help we needed in establishing
a nice home. It's now my turn to be generous so hopefully I can get
some first hand knowledge from the people of this group. Here are
the details.

The property is four acres in size and hilly. It is in a northern
climate and has a long driveway.

So.........I need a riding mower that can have a optional snow plow
or blower attached to it. I favor hydrostatic drives over standard
transmissions and because of the hills the mower should have a low
center of gravity.

I have never owned a riding mower myself so fill me in on what may be
a good choice and let me know what to stay away from.

Thanks.

John Deere, Dixon, or Kubota ZTR mower. Get your checkbook out. You get
what you pay for.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

snip
try alt.home.lawn.garden

I will repost the thread there.

I favored the shift on the fender and the full pressure oil system because I
have hills too

Thanks for the pressured oil system advise. I had forgotten about that
aspect.
Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

I love my John Deere X340.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
I am looking at giving a gift of a lawnmower to a first time home
purchaser. I can fully remember my first house and how relatives
were very generous in giving us the help we needed in establishing
a nice home. It's now my turn to be generous so hopefully I can get
some first hand knowledge from the people of this group. Here are
the details.

The property is four acres in size and hilly. It is in a northern
climate and has a long driveway.

So.........I need a riding mower that can have a optional snow plow
or blower attached to it. I favor hydrostatic drives over standard
transmissions and because of the hills the mower should have a low
center of gravity.

I have never owned a riding mower myself so fill me in on what may be
a good choice and let me know what to stay away from.

FWIW, I've racked up many hours over the years with several models of
Simplicity. Dealer service and parts has always been top notch and
they seem to have an edge over others in snow blowers, maybe because
they re built in Wisconsin. Currently using a 18HP Sunstar hydro with
SB and deck, getting close to 1000 hours on it. The rest of the fleet
is a pair of 13 HP 30" plain mowers. Still have an older 10 HP version
of these that plain wore out after only a decade of use, our spare
parts source. IMO, Deere is OK, but overpriced, Toro is not too bad,
others are dubious designs meant for little flat suburban lawns. HTH

Joe
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 6:10 pm, wrote:
I am looking at giving a gift of a lawnmower to a first time home
purchaser. I can fully remember my first house and how relatives
were very generous in giving us the help we needed in establishing
a nice home. It's now my turn to be generous so hopefully I can get
some first hand knowledge from the people of this group. Here are
the details.

The property is four acres in size and hilly. It is in a northern
climate and has a long driveway.

So.........I need a riding mower that can have a optional snow plow
or blower attached to it. I favor hydrostatic drives over standard
transmissions and because of the hills the mower should have a low
center of gravity.

I have never owned a riding mower myself so fill me in on what may be
a good choice and let me know what to stay away from.

Thanks.

gift certificate time

747 Lawnmower ?..............Yes, this is real, a flying Lawnmower [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 14th 06 06:22 PM
lawnmower help SeaKan Home Repair 12 May 17th 06 08:19 PM
mtd lawnmower help Bill Home Repair 2 April 25th 06 03:40 AM
need help with lawnmower Betsy Home Ownership 43 September 13th 05 04:00 PM
need help with lawnmower Betsy Home Repair 44 September 13th 05 04:00 PM