Posted to alt.home.repair
Clark[_3_] Clark[_3_] is offline

Default Lawnmower suggestions?

wrote:
I am looking at giving a gift of a lawnmower to a first time home
purchaser. I can fully remember my first house and how relatives
were very generous in giving us the help we needed in establishing
a nice home. It's now my turn to be generous so hopefully I can get
some first hand knowledge from the people of this group. Here are
the details.

The property is four acres in size and hilly. It is in a northern
climate and has a long driveway.

So.........I need a riding mower that can have a optional snow plow
or blower attached to it. I favor hydrostatic drives over standard
transmissions and because of the hills the mower should have a low
center of gravity.

I have never owned a riding mower myself so fill me in on what may be
a good choice and let me know what to stay away from.

Thanks.

try alt.home.lawn.garden

They can be a little rambunctious but they might have some good advice too.
I just bought a Craftsman but had to return the first one (mower deck height
was to low)
but in the end I got a new one built just two days before I received it.
I favored the shift on the fender and the full pressure oil system because I
have hills too
I think you would want a larger deck because of the acreage.
They have good advice for older equipment too.
the one that I bought:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128738000P?filter=Horsepower%7C22+ hp&vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Lawn+Tractors&sName =Lawn+Tractor+Series&sLevel=2|3
Clark