Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Jay is offline

Default Replacing an Electric Range

I am replacing an old electric range and have some wiring questions.
Th eold electric range was hard wired to the electric box. The box
had 3 wires (Red / White / Black). The ground was connected to a
screw on the side of the stove and connected to a copper pipe.

1. I need to put in a plug so I can can plug in the new range. What
kind of plug do I put in? A 3 prong range plug since I only have 3
wires?

2. How do I ground the new stove? The same way the old on was?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 25, 2:09 pm, Jay wrote:
I am replacing an old electric range and have some wiring questions.
Th eold electric range was hard wired to the electric box. The box
had 3 wires (Red / White / Black). The ground was connected to a
screw on the side of the stove and connected to a copper pipe.

1. I need to put in a plug so I can can plug in the new range. What
kind of plug do I put in? A 3 prong range plug since I only have 3
wires?

2. How do I ground the new stove? The same way the old on was?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Code has changed for ranges and dryers now they are fed by 4 wires,
your old system used 2 hots and a ground the new adds a neutral wire.
There may be instructiions with the range to wire it using the old
existing non conforming system.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Current NEC allows you to use a preexisting three wire range feeder. Just
buy a three wire range outlet and connect it with white in the middle. The
white wire on a three wire systems serves as neutral and ground. On the
range there should be a jumper strap from the neutral terminal to the metal
frame of the range. If it is not currently installed, it should be in a
parts bag with instructions . A short time ago Ralph Mowery posted this
instruction for a dryer connection. It is essentially the same thing for a
range. http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/dryercords.htm

"Jay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am replacing an old electric range and have some wiring questions.
Th eold electric range was hard wired to the electric box. The box
had 3 wires (Red / White / Black). The ground was connected to a
screw on the side of the stove and connected to a copper pipe.

1. I need to put in a plug so I can can plug in the new range. What
kind of plug do I put in? A 3 prong range plug since I only have 3
wires?

2. How do I ground the new stove? The same way the old on was?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Replacing Tektronix 465 range bulb Boris Mohar Electronics Repair 4 August 8th 07 02:48 PM
Electric range TH Home Repair 9 February 12th 07 09:39 PM
Replacing an old drop-in range (GE) k Home Repair 1 January 28th 07 04:10 AM
Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing? [email protected] Home Repair 7 October 7th 06 12:44 PM
Problem Replacing Range Soquel Dude Home Repair 1 January 18th 06 02:32 PM