Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

Default Broken Glass on Smoothtop range...replacing?

Hi, all.

I have a Whirlpool RC3024 ceran-top range. Yesterday, the glass top was
broken due to a minor accident.

Local suppliers quote replacement glass to be about $300, which is what
I was expecting, but I've not been able to find out details on how to
physically replace the glass.

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-intrepid

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

MY buddy dropped a hammer through one and we researched fixing it.
The cooktop is a factory sealed unit so the whole thing get's replaced.
As a result we replaced the entire range for about $150 more than the
repair would have cost.
Now when he remodels kitchens he plywoods over the tops!
wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a Whirlpool RC3024 ceran-top range. Yesterday, the glass top was
broken due to a minor accident.

Local suppliers quote replacement glass to be about $300, which is what
I was expecting, but I've not been able to find out details on how to
physically replace the glass.

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-intrepid

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

All:

After I posted this, I discovered that the glass is captured onto the
unit via the top trim strip, which itself is secured to the sides of
the unit via a series of simple screws. I removed the screws, lifted
off the trim strip, and removed the broken pieces with no difficulty.
It is not sealed or glued in place; it merely rests atop the cooktop
box.

It turns out there was another entire shard of glass that had broken
through which was invisible until I started removing the pieces.

I did contemplate replacing the unit with a conventional cooktop, but
scheduling an installer for the electrical hookup is going to be more
of a hassle than it's worth (plus an extra hundred bucks apparently). I
can replace the glass myself in five minutes, so I plan to order the
replacement glass later today.

Thanks,
intrepid

Dave Bugg wrote:
wrote:

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.

The whole top is replaced, not just the glass. Mine has developed cracks
throughout the whole top; I've been ignoring it and will replace the whole
unit when it no longer functions.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.home.repair

All:

Don't know if anyone is even keeping up with this, but just in case....

I was able to order the replacement glass from Whirlpool, and installed
it as predicted in about 10 minutes. The stove is back in operation and
working perfectly.

-intrepid

Dave Bugg wrote:
wrote:

If someone has any information on how to accomplish this, I'd
appreciate it.

The whole top is replaced, not just the glass. Mine has developed cracks
throughout the whole top; I've been ignoring it and will replace the whole
unit when it no longer functions.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Replacing glass in sliding glass door Godfrey Muganda Home Repair 16 July 26th 16 06:44 PM
Replacing Glass In Storm Window and I need to find a place to buy new gasket needto know Home Repair 4 July 31st 06 02:40 AM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Problem Replacing Range Soquel Dude Home Repair 1 January 18th 06 02:32 PM
Glass top (Radiant) Range surface unit replacement Usenet Poster Home Repair 9 February 2nd 05 12:23 AM