Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Replacing an Electric Range

On Sep 25, 2:09 pm, Jay wrote:
I am replacing an old electric range and have some wiring questions.
Th eold electric range was hard wired to the electric box. The box
had 3 wires (Red / White / Black). The ground was connected to a
screw on the side of the stove and connected to a copper pipe.

1. I need to put in a plug so I can can plug in the new range. What
kind of plug do I put in? A 3 prong range plug since I only have 3
wires?

2. How do I ground the new stove? The same way the old on was?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Code has changed for ranges and dryers now they are fed by 4 wires,
your old system used 2 hots and a ground the new adds a neutral wire.
There may be instructiions with the range to wire it using the old
existing non conforming system.