Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Replacing an Electric Range

Current NEC allows you to use a preexisting three wire range feeder. Just
buy a three wire range outlet and connect it with white in the middle. The
white wire on a three wire systems serves as neutral and ground. On the
range there should be a jumper strap from the neutral terminal to the metal
frame of the range. If it is not currently installed, it should be in a
parts bag with instructions . A short time ago Ralph Mowery posted this
instruction for a dryer connection. It is essentially the same thing for a
range. http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/dryercords.htm

"Jay" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am replacing an old electric range and have some wiring questions.
Th eold electric range was hard wired to the electric box. The box
had 3 wires (Red / White / Black). The ground was connected to a
screw on the side of the stove and connected to a copper pipe.

1. I need to put in a plug so I can can plug in the new range. What
kind of plug do I put in? A 3 prong range plug since I only have 3
wires?

2. How do I ground the new stove? The same way the old on was?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay