Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Corrosion on Condensing unit fins

LIttle 2-ton Heil R22 system, 1 1/2 years old. Cools tiny brick
bungalow in midwest US.

Dogs are all female: no peeing on unit. I hose it down every
time I run the weed-whacker.

Condensing unit fins near ground level turning grey/white with
some kind of corrosion. Doesn't look nice, couldn't improve
heat dissipation.

Spray the corrosion with some kind of preserving lubricant?

Thx,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:24:17 +0000, Puddin' Man wrote:

LIttle 2-ton Heil R22 system, 1 1/2 years old. Cools tiny brick
bungalow in midwest US.

Dogs are all female: no peeing on unit. I hose it down every
time I run the weed-whacker.

Condensing unit fins near ground level turning grey/white with
some kind of corrosion. Doesn't look nice, couldn't improve
heat dissipation.

Spray the corrosion with some kind of preserving lubricant?

I think it's oxidation of the metal, probably aluminum. Don't really know
if you need to be concerned about it interfering with the operation
especially if it's on just a couple rows of fins.

If you are spraying with hard water - STOP!
it is probably deposits from the hard water.
Only use soft water.
http://www.udarrell.com/sizing_ac_duct.htm
- udarrell :-)

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated)
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(* My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle.)

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:36:31 GMT, udarrell wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:24:17 +0000, Puddin' Man wrote:

LIttle 2-ton Heil R22 system, 1 1/2 years old. Cools tiny brick
bungalow in midwest US.

Dogs are all female: no peeing on unit. I hose it down every
time I run the weed-whacker.

Condensing unit fins near ground level turning grey/white with
some kind of corrosion. Doesn't look nice, couldn't improve
heat dissipation.

Spray the corrosion with some kind of preserving lubricant?

I think it's oxidation of the metal, probably aluminum. Don't really know
if you need to be concerned about it interfering with the operation
especially if it's on just a couple rows of fins.

If you are spraying with hard water - STOP!
it is probably deposits from the hard water.
Only use soft water.

Nooooooo problem.

I'll start building the still in the back yard tomorrow.

Run it half-time for the soft water to clean the CU. Other
half for that "Good Cohn Likker".

Kill 2 boidies with one stone. Eh?

"Fix my supper, let me go to bed.
I've been drinking white lightnin',
done gone to my haid!"
- -from "Viola Lee Blues", Noah Lewis, maybe 1927

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aluminum is a reactive metal protected by oxide.
However when corrosion occous it can literaly
lay the copper coil bare.
You should have the coil coated with a polymer
This can be brought in spray cans and goes
under various names Kole Kote Etc.