Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

Default Cover for AC Condensing Unit

Cover for AC Condensing Unit

Hi,

I have new HVAC in my home. It includes a new outside
(Condensing) Unit. The old one rusted to hell-and-gone
due to exposure to sun, etc.

I'd like to build/make a cover to protect it from the
elements in the off-season (winter).

Unit is about 25 x 27 " (rectangular top), about 24 " hi.
Would be nice if covered to bottom, but I'd settle for
a cover over the top 12 " of the unit.

I am drawing a blank on what materials to use.

Anybody invented/tested this wheel?

Thanks,
Puddin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

how old was the one you replaced? newer ones dont appear to rust.

covering it might make it worse creating a mini moisture cycle with no
airflow under your cover

Posted to alt.home.repair
lindy

I've been using one from this company for several years with no problems.
http://www.sugarhouseawning.com/cool...tioner_co ver

Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

On 22 Mar 2006 15:22:59 -0800, "
wrote:

how old was the one you replaced?

21 years.

newer ones dont appear to rust.

They look about the same to me. Painted steel.

covering it might make it worse creating a mini moisture cycle with no
airflow under your cover

Yes, 100% coverage could defeat the purpose.

I definitely want to keep crud out of the top
of the unit. With 60-80% coverage, there would
be sufficient ventilation.

Puddin'
Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller

Puddin' Man wrote:
Cover for AC Condensing Unit

Hi,

I have new HVAC in my home. It includes a new outside
(Condensing) Unit. The old one rusted to hell-and-gone
due to exposure to sun, etc.

I'd like to build/make a cover to protect it from the
elements in the off-season (winter).

Unit is about 25 x 27 " (rectangular top), about 24 " hi.
Would be nice if covered to bottom, but I'd settle for
a cover over the top 12 " of the unit.

I am drawing a blank on what materials to use.

Anybody invented/tested this wheel?

Thanks,
Puddin'

I use a piece of plywood cut 1" larger all around than the unit and
hold it in place with something heavy.....like a rock or a concrete
block.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:40:31 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Cover for AC Condensing Unit

Hi,

I have new HVAC in my home. It includes a new outside
(Condensing) Unit. The old one rusted to hell-and-gone
due to exposure to sun, etc.

I'd like to build/make a cover to protect it from the
elements in the off-season (winter).

Unit is about 25 x 27 " (rectangular top), about 24 " hi.
Would be nice if covered to bottom, but I'd settle for
a cover over the top 12 " of the unit.

12 inches vertically out of 24. You don't think that will cut down
the efficiency of the AC? And waste electricity?

I am drawing a blank on what materials to use.

Anybody invented/tested this wheel?

Thanks,
Puddin'

Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller

Bubba wrote:

Yeah but we dont all live in a trailer.

That's true, but from what I've seen of what you post in other groups,
I suspect you might....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

I use a piece of plywood cut 1" larger all around than the unit and
hold it in place with something heavy.....like a rock or a concrete
block.

Yeah but we dont all live in a trailer.

===========================
Well I sure as the devil do not either...
BUT that is how I protect my outside unit....

Only attempting to keep out leaves and allow air to circulate..
Both my sons are in the heating and a/c business they both
told me that 99 percent of the units they see with rust problems are
the ones whixch are covered ...

I use a pretty "rock" to hold the plywiid down ...lol

Bob G.
Posted to alt.home.repair

just as cars in many parts of the country used to rust bad and rot away
by being only 6 or 7 years old, and today seemingly go forever if not
scratched or dented the same thing has occured to other exposed steeel
devices.

The steel is better quality, and galavanized and protected better. all
this euuals little rust.

I would leave it uncovered, just placing anyting on top of the unit
then weighted down may lead to small scratches, turning into rust
later. wind can cause vibration leading to scratching the finish. baked
on enamel paints are so much better today too.

but hey if covering makes you happy go for it!

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Puddin,

If you remove the condenser's cover every few years,clean and paint it
then it won't rust. This is routine maintenance. Putting a structure over
the condenser just creates another structure that requires routine
maintenance.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
"PrecisionMechanical" wrote:

Put a f*cking tarp over it then, and secure it with bungees....

F*cking idiot, apparently doesnt realize 1/2 the country operates their
condensor in reverse mode as heat pump much of the season with no ill
effect.

I have a brand new Rheem 13 SEER condensing unit. Would you please explain
how to run it in "reverse mode"? That must be an undocumented feature.

(Speaking of f*ucking idiots...) pbbbbbfffffttttttt!
--
:\
JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
Bob G. wrote:

I use a piece of plywood cut 1" larger all around than the
unit and hold it in place with something heavy.....like a rock
or a concrete block.

Only attempting to keep out leaves and allow air to circulate..
Both my sons are in the heating and a/c business they both
told me that 99 percent of the units they see with rust problems are
the ones whixch are covered ...

That cinches it: I'm not going to cover my new unit, either.

I am replacing a 1991 WattGobblertm condensing unit that has NEVER been
covered - and it has never missed a beat OR rusted.

Convince me that there exists a viable and CONVENIENT way to keep out
cottonwood tree "cotton" and I'll consider it.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:56:00 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

Puddin,

If you remove the condenser's cover every few years,clean and paint it
then it won't rust.

This is pert near what I tried with the old one.

It didn't work. Rusted a bunch. Surface prep was
a severe PITA. Rust would bleed back thru after
painting.

This is routine maintenance. Putting a structure over
the condenser just creates another structure that requires routine
maintenance.

It can, yes. but it can also preserve the unit. You wouldn't think it
in MO, but the sun out there deteriorates most anything muy pronto.

What I'd like is to find good cheap material, make one. If it's
trashed in, say, 5 years, pitch it and make another. Etc, etc.

So far the only candidates are awning grade canvas and plywood.

I might consider maybe something like phenolic if it wasn't
so expensive.

Puddin'
Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle

If the Sun caused your condenser to rust out, Covering it will rust it
out twice as fast.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
PrecisionMechanical

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob G. wrote:

I use a piece of plywood cut 1" larger all around than the
unit and hold it in place with something heavy.....like a rock
or a concrete block.

Only attempting to keep out leaves and allow air to circulate..
Both my sons are in the heating and a/c business they both
told me that 99 percent of the units they see with rust problems are
the ones whixch are covered ...

That cinches it: I'm not going to cover my new unit, either.

I am replacing a 1991 WattGobblertm condensing unit that has NEVER been
covered - and it has never missed a beat OR rusted.

Convince me that there exists a viable and CONVENIENT way to keep out
cottonwood tree "cotton" and I'll consider it.

Chainsaw......

--

SVL

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
"PrecisionMechanical" wrote:

Convince me that there exists a viable and CONVENIENT way to
keep out cottonwood tree "cotton" and I'll consider it.

Chainsaw......

Hehehe! Nice try but NO cigar, Slick.

I specified (and emphasized) "convenient".

An army of chain-saw-wielding maniacs, given a few months, might make a minor
DENT in the cottonwood tree population nearby, but not enough to help free my
A.C. fins from clogging.

Cottonwood is indigenous to this area. Those that live to be 150-years old
grow HUGE enough that professionals use a CRANE to fell them. It is the
unfortunate property owner indeed that must pay THOUSANDS of $$ to have a big
one removed. Most are on public property, along creek beds and floodways.

Every few years, when there is a particularly big "cotton" release, it can
appear as though it has SNOWED - in July.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
[...]

Actually, I'm located in the columbia river basin, and so there's quite a
few em here too..but for some reason, they really don't present much of a
problem with our heat pumps.

Maybe its the high humidity causes them to deteriorate rapidly or something.

shrug

--

SVL

Posted to alt.home.repair
PrecisionMechanical

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
"PrecisionMechanical" wrote:

Put a f*cking tarp over it then, and secure it with bungees....

F*cking idiot, apparently doesnt realize 1/2 the country operates their
condensor in reverse mode as heat pump much of the season with no ill
effect.

I have a brand new Rheem 13 SEER condensing unit. Would you please

explain
how to run it in "reverse mode"? That must be an undocumented feature.

(Speaking of f*ucking idiots...) pbbbbbfffffttttttt!

Suggest buy one that has the "optional reversing valve" preinstalled--then
you can just operate it year round......

--

SVL

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

wrote:

[...]

For mine, I built a small gable roof out of scrap 3/8 ply then covered
it with left over shingles. It only covers the top and lips down an
inch on two sides to hold position. My concern was keeping the leaves,
etc out of the housing. Matches the house roof style/color, light and
easily removed/stored in the spring. It will last longer than the
house roof as it isn't as exposed to the weather.

Harry K

Harry K

AC...Fix or Replace? komobu Home Repair 37 November 27th 05 06:49 AM
central air unit - used goguard Home Ownership 1 November 22nd 05 12:50 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Janitrol Heat Pump system question J Mickler Home Repair 8 February 7th 05 03:40 AM
Central air condenser unit failing? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 3 July 15th 03 12:48 AM