Posted to alt.home.repair

Default BARD condensing unit

I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn thru the
coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and everything
has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael wrote:
I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn
thru the coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and
everything has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

Yes the older models of Carrier & Bryant used to.

When you look at the blade when its running, if it looks like it is scooping
up the air it should be alright but now seeing it is another story.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe Jones wrote:

Michael wrote:

I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn
thru the coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and
everything has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question.... does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through? THANKS.

Yes the older models of Carrier & Bryant used to.

When you look at the blade when its running, if it looks like it is scooping
up the air it should be alright but now seeing it is another story.

You can tell which way a fan is supposed to rotate by looking at it.
Yes those older units with the condenser on one side usually blew out
through the condenser.

It is very important to mount the fan so the blades are in the proper
position to the fan shroud!
I always marked the the fan blade or wrote on it for a reference. You
might be able to get that information somewhere.
udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/

http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(* My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle, etc.)

http://www.udarrell.com/principled_a...ju stice.html

http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html

http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html

http://www.antiwar.com/ ***

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Air can be drawn through ( induced draft ) or blown
through ( forced draft ) a finned coil. However the Unit
case can also form an Air Plenum and condenser air can
also be used to cool the hermetic compressor.

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn thru the
coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and
everything has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn thru the
coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and

everything
has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

Bard units blow air from the motor to the coils, then out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:59:27 -0400, Michael wrote:

I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn thru

the
coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and

everything
has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

Any I've seen/repaired sucked air from outside through the condenser.

Do you know that your statement can be understood as either direction?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Telstra" wrote in message
Air can be drawn through ( induced draft ) or blown
through ( forced draft ) a finned coil. However the Unit
case can also form an Air Plenum and condenser air can
also be used to cool the hermetic compressor.

The airflow is dependant on the manufacture's design.

BTW, the compressor doesn't require airflow for cooling!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 5:59 pm, "Michael" wrote:
I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn thru the
coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and everything
has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

I installed a new Bard unit for a customer last year and
that unit drew air in from the sides and blew it through
the condenser coil away from the AC. If you think about
it, that's the only way that makes sense. The other AC
units that blow through the condenser coil are the roof
top camper/RV air conditioners that have the white sloped
front covers. With sensitive enough instrumentation one
could possibly measure the added thrust to the Winnebago.
An afterburner would be a nice touch for passing those 18
wheelers.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thnks guys

Had a reply from Bill at Bard who confirmed that indeed, it's a "blow
through coil" system, taking air from the back, cross the motor and pushing
out through the coils.

I spent all afternoon telling my HVAC "expert" that -- who was obviously
annoyed everytime I brought it up. They wanted to install a new unit for
1877.00 (which hopefully I won't have to do).

Fact remains though, I cool for about 5 minutes and that's it. Everything
checks out -- freon is good.

Question --

Can a compressor be borderline and show these symptoms?

I thought today I would put the motor back to CCW where it belongs and run a
water hose over the compressor to see if it helps? good - bad idea?

Heat exchanger is fine the pressure is where it supposed to be. ??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael wrote:
I thought today I would put the motor back to CCW where it belongs
and run a water hose over the compressor to see if it helps? good -
bad idea?
Heat exchanger is fine the pressure is where it supposed to be. ??

Do Not run water over your compressor while there is power to the
compressor. You can easily short out the compressor and if anyone is close
to the unit, they can be hurt.

If you have to run water over the compressor you have a major problem.

When you say heat exchange are you talking condensing unit?

Some of the older condensing units used R-12 or R-22, do you know which
refrigerant it is using?

It really sounds that your HVAC people are right in wanting to replace the
unit.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..

Fact remains though, I cool for about 5 minutes and that's it. Everything
checks out -- freon is good.

"Cools for 5 minutes"... what's that mean?
The complete system shuts down?
Just the condensing unit stops running?
Just the compressor stops running?
System continues to run with no cooling?

"Refrigerant is good"?
How do you/they know?
Has anything ever been done to the refrigerant circuit?

This unit had a new motor installed (running backwards), then you called a
company and they corrected that issue. It's been running fine for 2 1/2
years.

Now what's going on with the unit, that made you question it's operation?
You never said in your original post that you were having problems with it.
Just that you wanted to know which way the airflow was supposed to flow.

Paul Harvey, TELL US "THE REST OF THE STORY"!!!!!
Cause, if everything checks out, you wouldn't be here.

Can a compressor be borderline and show these symptoms?

What symptoms, you haven't give enough information about your problem to
even make a wild ass guess.

I thought today I would put the motor back to CCW where it belongs and run

water hose over the compressor to see if it helps? good - bad idea?

The airflow needs to be corrected!!!!!!
Then and ONLY then, will ANYONE be able to further diagnose your unit.
The compressor doesn't require water or airflow for cooling purposes. It's
cooled by the returning refrigerant.

Heat exchanger is fine the pressure is where it supposed to be. ??

"Heat exchanger"?
Evaporator (inside coil)?
Condenser (outside coil)?

Pressures?
Refrigerant pressures?
If so, how do you/they know?
What's the superheat?
What's the subcooling?
How many amps is the compressor pulling?
What's the RLA for the compressor?

These are just some of the items that your servicing dealer should be
obtaining to correctly diagnose your unit.

But first, we need to know the complete story, Clyde.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The motor ran the wrong direction for about 30 minutes when it was first
installed 2 years ago.

It HAS been running the right direction.

I only asked because the first thing the HVAC guy said yeaterday when he
came out that the motor needed reversing.

HE WAS WRONG....end of story.

I have other issues with it but I'll get to the bottom of it.

End of story.

Why is that an HVAC "expert" (who got me for 300 bucks) is not familiar with
the "blow through" coil design?

Albeit, they are not commonplace, BUT --

"a fair question".

and a ****er, I might add.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Michael" wrote in message
The motor ran the wrong direction for about 30 minutes when it was first
installed 2 years ago.

It HAS been running the right direction.

I only asked because the first thing the HVAC guy said yeaterday when he
came out that the motor needed reversing.

Why was he there... what was the complaint?

HE WAS WRONG....end of story.

I have other issues with it but I'll get to the bottom of it.

I thought you wanted help?

End of story.

Why is that an HVAC "expert" (who got me for 300 bucks) is not familiar

with
the "blow through" coil design?

Don't know, ask them. Or better yet, ask his boss!
And then ask to have a competent tech come back and diagnose the real
problem.
For free, as you have already paid for it!

Albeit, they are not commonplace, BUT --

It is for horizontal discharge units.

"a fair question".

and a ****er, I might add.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 2:16 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:06:39 -0500, kjblow puked:

Do[SLAP]

Obsesso's reply thwarted and laughed at.

heh

MP, are you trying to turn this in to AHM?
snicker

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro kjpro kjpro
why didn't you gave man answer at first
instead of lot crap as you usually do
Tony

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn thru
the
coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and

everything
has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

Bard units blow air from the motor to the coils, then out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Tony" wrote in message
kjpro kjpro kjpro
why didn't you gave man answer at first
instead of lot crap as you usually do
Tony

Did ya learn something? LOL

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Bard 48F001 (it's old) outside AC condensing unit.

When I replaced the fan motor I installed it so that air is drawn thru
the
coils and blows out the back toward the house.

When I did it that way, the ac didn't cool well.

So I called an outfit who came out and ultimately and changed motor
direction so the fan blew THROUGH the coils into the yard....and

everything
has been fine for 2 1/2 years.

Here's the question....

does anyone know WHICH WAY the blades should push air?

Has anyone EVER SEEN a condensing unit that blow air through the coils
rather than suck the air through?

THANKS.

Bard units blow air from the motor to the coils, then out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 11:54 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:36:21 +0000, unclemon wrote:
On Aug 14, 2:16 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:06:39 -0500, kjblow puked:

Do[SLAP]

Obsesso's reply thwarted and laughed at.

heh

MP, are you trying to turn this in to AHM?
snicker

I don't frequent AHM and no, I [SLAP] any idiot who wants to argue
regardless of the news group.

At least you don't include a whole page of codswallop
with every post the way Hatter does.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

I don't frequent AHM and no, I [SLAP] any idiot who wants to argue
regardless of the news group.

Too bad, you're to ignorant to understand who's the one posting crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

I don't frequent AHM and no, I [SLAP] any idiot who wants to argue
regardless of the news group.

Too bad, you're to ignorant to understand who's the one posting crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

I might as well have something to kick around while I'm trying to
help others.

You're not kicking anybody around with your silliness.
And you're definitely *trying* to help, as you're posts couldn't help a fly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

I don't frequent AHM and no, I [SLAP] any idiot who wants to argue
regardless of the news group.

Too bad, you're to ignorant to understand who's the one posting crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name