Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default Corrosion on Condensing unit fins

Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:24:17 +0000, Puddin' Man wrote:

LIttle 2-ton Heil R22 system, 1 1/2 years old. Cools tiny brick
bungalow in midwest US.

Dogs are all female: no peeing on unit. I hose it down every
time I run the weed-whacker.

Condensing unit fins near ground level turning grey/white with
some kind of corrosion. Doesn't look nice, couldn't improve
heat dissipation.

Spray the corrosion with some kind of preserving lubricant?

I think it's oxidation of the metal, probably aluminum. Don't really know
if you need to be concerned about it interfering with the operation
especially if it's on just a couple rows of fins.

If you are spraying with hard water - STOP!
it is probably deposits from the hard water.
Only use soft water.
http://www.udarrell.com/sizing_ac_duct.htm
- udarrell :-)

http://www.udarrell.com/ (Updated)
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
(* My Airconditioning Links, Hunting Shooting, Angus Cattle.)

Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!