Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage door lubrication

What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can that
I could use.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

newman wrote:

What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can that
I could use.

Thanks.

Hi,
WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent cleaner. Springs I soak with
just ordinary car engine oil. Soak a rag and rub them on when they are
dry. I was told this will make springs last longer. Tracks I don't do
anything. Screw drive I have, I use lubriplate very sparingly from now
and then to keep it quiet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/21/2007 9:45 AM newman said the following:
What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can that
I could use.

Thanks.

I use vasoline petroleum jelly.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
on 9/21/2007 9:45 AM newman said the following:
What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

I use vasoline petroleum jelly.

Ya, but we're talking about garage doors here.

:'P

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/21/2007 10:46 AM Noozer said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 9/21/2007 9:45 AM newman said the following:

What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

I use vasoline petroleum jelly.

Ya, but we're talking about garage doors here.

:'P

I ran out of K-Y.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

newman wrote:
What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

The people who make PB Blaster make a nice product called GDL (Garage Door
Lube).

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Right.

--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"newman" wrote in message
What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can
that
I could use.

Thanks.

WD-40 is not a lube. Use motor oil and squirt some across the top of the
springs once a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should I use WD40?

NOT a lubricant

I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can

Thats the one

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use vasoline petroleum jelly.

Ya, but we're talking about garage doors here.

I hear it slides in easier that way, right ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had to have a part replaced on my garage door opener about 2 years ago and
asked the tech from Dalton what to use and he said silicone spray. I've been
using the Permatex brand ever since and my door is quieter than when the
house was brand new. I do this once ever 3 months on his recommendation.

Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..

"newman" wrote in message
What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can
that
I could use.

Thanks.

WD-40 is not a lube. Use motor oil and squirt some across the top of the
springs once a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"asmurff" wrote in message
| I had to have a part replaced on my garage door opener about 2 years ago
and
| asked the tech from Dalton what to use and he said silicone spray. I've
been
| using the Permatex brand ever since and my door is quieter than when the
| house was brand new. I do this once ever 3 months on his recommendation.
|
| Mike
| Watch for the bounce.
| If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
| If ya see it, it didn't go off.
| Old Air Force Munitions Saying
| "Bob M." wrote in message
| . .

| ....snip|

What parts do you lube? Rollers? Tracks? Hinges?

Jean