Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default garage door lubrication

newman wrote:

What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm
referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup
spring.

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can that
I could use.

Thanks.

Hi,
WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent cleaner. Springs I soak with
just ordinary car engine oil. Soak a rag and rub them on when they are
dry. I was told this will make springs last longer. Tracks I don't do
anything. Screw drive I have, I use lubriplate very sparingly from now
and then to keep it quiet.