Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wired/interconnected smoke detectors: any low voltage models?

I have been working on an addition to my home. On the permit it
states that I must install "hardwired/interconnecting smoke detectors
required throughout the entire dwelling per 2003 M.R.C.". I did a
little web research into this, and was surprised to only find ones
powered from 120VAC. Aren't there any low-voltage models? Seems to
me that the line voltage is going to get dropped and rectified anyway,
and I would imagine that a low-voltage system would simplify and
cheapen the interconnect wiring scheme over a 120VAC system.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I don't know of low voltage models, but I have the line voltage ones in my
house. All it takes is a 3 wire (plus ground) cable between the smoke
detectors, the black and white provide power and the red is the trigger that
sets all of them off. They work great.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been working on an addition to my home. On the permit it
states that I must install "hardwired/interconnecting smoke detectors
required throughout the entire dwelling per 2003 M.R.C.". I did a
little web research into this, and was surprised to only find ones
powered from 120VAC. Aren't there any low-voltage models? Seems to
me that the line voltage is going to get dropped and rectified anyway,
and I would imagine that a low-voltage system would simplify and
cheapen the interconnect wiring scheme over a 120VAC system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been working on an addition to my home. On the permit it
states that I must install "hardwired/interconnecting smoke detectors
required throughout the entire dwelling per 2003 M.R.C.". I did a
little web research into this, and was surprised to only find ones
powered from 120VAC. Aren't there any low-voltage models? Seems to
me that the line voltage is going to get dropped and rectified anyway,
and I would imagine that a low-voltage system would simplify and
cheapen the interconnect wiring scheme over a 120VAC system.

Hardwired implies that it is connected to your home's electrical power. I
don't know of any low-voltage models, but if there were, they would not be
any easier to install - because you would still have to wire them
regardless.

It's not too hard to install the 120V models. Pull one circuit using 14/3
Romex with ground. Use black for hot, white for neutral, and the red wire
for signal between smoke detectors.