Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wireless interconnected AC smoke detectors

I have to install AC interconnected smoke detectors in an investment
home I own (county code) and am running into a bit of a problem.

Most interconnected require the units all be on the same wire, which
is simple enough for new construction, but trying to run one wire from
the attic to the basement in a house built in 1954 is a world of fun
beyond what I want to do or pay someone to do.

I found Kidde makes AC smoke detectors that are interconnected by
wireless. Does anyone have experience installing these? Do all units
have to be on the same circuit in order for the wireless
interconnectivity to work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 10:51 pm, Kyle wrote:
I have to install AC interconnected smoke detectors in an investment
home I own (county code) and am running into a bit of a problem.

Most interconnected require the units all be on the same wire, which
is simple enough for new construction, but trying to run one wire from
the attic to the basement in a house built in 1954 is a world of fun
beyond what I want to do or pay someone to do.

I found Kidde makes AC smoke detectors that are interconnected by
wireless. Does anyone have experience installing these? Do all units
have to be on the same circuit in order for the wireless
interconnectivity to work?

I have used flex bits for years to install wire inside
the walls of buildings for burglar/fire alarms, phone
lines and power cables (romex and MC cable).
The bits are manufactured in different lengths and
extensions can be attached. Electrical, alarm and
big box building supply companies sell them. One
manufacturer is:

http://www.fiberfish.com/Piranhabits.htm

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 08:11:30 -0000, wrote:

On Jun 30, 10:51 pm, Kyle wrote:
[...]

Last I looked, Home Depot had them too. Not a full selection but
maybe it could be ordered. They had at least one 6 foot one in stock.

The flexible shaft is very helpful.

I don't know anything about the kidde but it seems their customer
service could annswer that question if the website didn't.

I wouldn't think so. All the wires connect back at the fuse box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 10:51 pm, Kyle wrote:
I have to install AC interconnected smoke detectors in an investment
home I own (county code) and am running into a bit of a problem.

Most interconnected require the units all be on the same wire, which
is simple enough for new construction, but trying to run one wire from
the attic to the basement in a house built in 1954 is a world of fun
beyond what I want to do or pay someone to do.

I found Kidde makes AC smoke detectors that are interconnected by
wireless. Does anyone have experience installing these? Do all units
have to be on the same circuit in order for the wireless
interconnectivity to work?

Kyle, I found a review about Kidde smoke detectors at Amazon.com
by a fellow who installed some of them.

************************************************** ****************************************
Pro: Easy to install as a replacement for a wired only Kidde smoke
detector.
Great to connect wire lnked systems on two separate floors of your
home using two of these wired units.

Cons: uses a different base plate than other Kidde products so you
must remove any other Kidde base plate - which does not make sense.
Tends to trigger other wireless units during installation process so
be sure to wear ear protection while installing.
This wireless to wired unit must be on the same electrical circuit as
other wired units to which it is connected so you cannot add just a
link wire to extend the wired system to this unit. You must connect
the power and the link wires to this unit from other Kidde wired
units. That limits flexibility for placement.
************************************************** ******************************************
I found information on installation and setup at the Kidde website:

http://tinyurl.com/2aucf5

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 11:20 am, wrote:
Kyle, I found a review about Kidde smoke detectors at Amazon.com
by a fellow who installed some of them.

[snip]
I found information on installation and setup at the Kidde website:

http://tinyurl.com/2aucf5

I have a definitive answer now, right from Kidde. Apparently, whether
smoke detectors' interconnectivity is wireless or not, most
municipalities require the smoke detectors to be on their own
dedicated circuit.

Now, this is different than on the same WIRE, which hardwired
interconnectivity requires. If you have three separate smoke detectors
you need to run, you can run three wires down to the same breaker on
the circuit box and they will all still sound at the same time.

I'm supposed to install these tomorrow - I'll post the results
sometime soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:51 pm, Kyle wrote:
I have to install AC interconnected smoke detectors in an investment
home I own (county code) and am running into a bit of a problem.

Most interconnected require the units all be on the same wire, which
is simple enough for new construction, but trying to run one wire from
the attic to the basement in a house built in 1954 is a world of fun
beyond what I want to do or pay someone to do.

I found Kidde makes AC smoke detectors that are interconnected by
wireless. Does anyone have experience installing these? Do all units
have to be on the same circuit in order for the wireless
interconnectivity to work?

So, last week I installed the Kidde A/C wireless interconnected smoke
detectors, and installation could not be easier. I won't go into the
personal simple things (like being able to install one on a box in
place of a receptacle), but Kidde makes a connection harness that
splices into the existing wiring and then the alarm snaps onto the
harness.

The wireless interconnectivity is not circuit-dependent, so unless
your municipality requires alarms to be on the same circuit or a
dedicated circuit, you can wire them to separate circuits if you need
to. The instructions in the box are not all that clear, so don't be
confused by the part where it gives you instructions on how to connect
a wireless unit into a exiting hardwired-interconnectivity system.

This is one time I am grateful for the weird wiring habits of the
electricians who did Loch Raven Village in the 1950s. I usually prefer
a room to be on one circuit, but the fact the electricians ran a wire
off the main panel, creating a circuit of a couple outlets in the
basement, the dining room and the two back bedrooms made it incredibly
easy to put all three detectors on the same low-load circuit.

The key here is to not put the detectors on a high-load circuit that
might have a habit of tripping - like an appliance circuit or the
like. Choose a circuit that gets very little usage, and you won't have
to worry about the circuit blowing in the event of an accident. Then
again, isn't that what the battery back-up is for...?