Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Guay

Default Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

Hi,
My house has hard-wired 120v smoke detectors. One went off today for a few
seconds. So I climbed up to take a look, and I noticed on the plastic
housing it says replace by year 2005. I tried the test button and it
worked, I actually tried the test button on all the detectors and they all
worked. Should I replace all the detectors? They seem to be working, based
on the test button. I know there are recommendations on replacing battery
operated ones but not hard-wired ones.

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jeff Guay wrote:
Hi,
My house has hard-wired 120v smoke detectors. One went off today for
a few seconds. So I climbed up to take a look, and I noticed on the
plastic housing it says replace by year 2005. I tried the test
button and it worked, I actually tried the test button on all the
detectors and they all worked. Should I replace all the detectors? They
seem to be working, based on the test button. I know there are
recommendations on replacing battery operated ones but not hard-wired
ones.
Thanks,
Jeff

All kinds sound be replaced. BTW many if not all hard wired detectors
have backup batteries as well. Even if you already know this maybe some
others don't and that could have been why it sounded, the backup battery may
be going low.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Some of these don't have battery backups. I took all mine down and put
a flat metal white cover you can buy at Home Depot over the opening and
then I installed all battery types. You wouldn't want to take a chance
if the power should go off before the smoke arrived.

Jeff Guay wrote:

Hi,
My house has hard-wired 120v smoke detectors. One went off today for a few
seconds. So I climbed up to take a look, and I noticed on the plastic
housing it says replace by year 2005. I tried the test button and it
worked, I actually tried the test button on all the detectors and they all
worked. Should I replace all the detectors? They seem to be working, based
on the test button. I know there are recommendations on replacing battery
operated ones but not hard-wired ones.

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

I wouldn't replace hard-wired with battery- could be a code violation,
depending where you live. I would use those with back-up battery for
sure. They do wear out and need replacement- forget why exactly. I've
also read that smoke testing them 1-2 times a year is advisable- try
not to set house on fire in the process!

Posted to alt.home.repair
steve

I would replace them as suggested by the manufacturer. One possibility
to look at is whether your hard-wired detectors are interconnected.
When I was rehabbing a 3-story house, I put detectors on each floor,
hard-wired, and interconnected. One went off - they all went off.
(Yes, it was LOUD). I couldn't find battery backup detectors at the
time - early 90's - either they weren't available or I didn't search
enough. So I also installed battery-powered detectors on each floor
(not interconnected). Even for all those detectors, I spent less than
$200 - cheap protection for multiple lives and a $150K house.

But I would think that hard-wired, battery-backup, interconnected
detectors would be the best. Overly cautious perhaps, as I've never
set a house on fire, but you never know.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Jeff Guay wrote:
Hi,
My house has hard-wired 120v smoke detectors. One went off today for
a few seconds. So I climbed up to take a look, and I noticed on the
plastic housing it says replace by year 2005. I tried the test
button and it worked, I actually tried the test button on all the
detectors and they all worked. Should I replace all the detectors? They
seem to be working, based on the test button. I know there are
recommendations on replacing battery operated ones but not hard-wired
ones.

The "Test" button tests whether the sucker can make a noise, not whether it
can detect smoke. (Unless, of course, pushing the "test" button on your
device generates smoke not connected with electing a new Pope.)

The radioisotope may have decayed thereby exceeding its half-life by the
"best if used by" date. You may just need fresher radioactive material -
which means a new detector.