Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Replace hard wired smoke detectors?

Jeff Guay wrote:
Hi,
My house has hard-wired 120v smoke detectors. One went off today for
a few seconds. So I climbed up to take a look, and I noticed on the
plastic housing it says replace by year 2005. I tried the test
button and it worked, I actually tried the test button on all the
detectors and they all worked. Should I replace all the detectors? They
seem to be working, based on the test button. I know there are
recommendations on replacing battery operated ones but not hard-wired
ones.
Thanks,
Jeff

All kinds sound be replaced. BTW many if not all hard wired detectors
have backup batteries as well. Even if you already know this maybe some
others don't and that could have been why it sounded, the backup battery may
be going low.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit