Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower Door and Tub Surround. Which Installs First?

We're remodeling my inlaws bathroom, and are getting ready to install the
tub surround and shower door. Unfortunately, we've always installed tile
walls and shower curtains, so I'm not sure of the best order to do the
surround and doors.

My first thought would be to install the tub surround first, then install
the shower doors on top of that. Seems like it would make the most
watertight installation. But, it also seems like it would leave a little
sliver of the tub surround showing on the outside corners of the shower
doors? I'm thinking that would look kind of stupid, and it would be much
more difficult to replace the surround in the future if that was needed.

If I do the doors first, I could butt the surround up tight against the
inside corners of the door frame. Probably a better "look" but then the
only water protection would be the caulking running down the inside of the
door frame. Of course, it's probably no worse than it would be with a
shower curtain.

The surround instructions make no mention of shower doors, and we haven't
purchased the doors yet.

So which normally goes in first, the doors or the surround?

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Surround first, then the door. The door goes onto the tile
and is attached with screws and sealed. If you need to change
the surround, you unscrew the doors and cut the sealant,
remove the door and you are ready to go, and you can usually
reinstall over the new tile.

How often do you change your surrounds, anyway?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert,

We're remodeling my inlaws bathroom, and are getting ready to install
the tub surround and shower door.
So which normally goes in first, the doors or the surround?

Surround first, then the door.

Thank you for the confirmation! I took a look at the shower doors
yesterday, and it all made sense once I saw how they installed (and
realized they were shorter than the height of the surround).

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Sep, 13:41, Robert Allison wrote:
HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Georgetown, TX- Hide quoted text -

The door goes onto the tile

In both of my bathrooms (1 shower stall, 1 tub/shower) the door would
be attached to/through the surround. There is no tile - the surround
comes right out to the front edge of the tub.

In the stall, the door frame is screwed through the fiberglass into
the studs.

In the tub/shower we use a curtain on a tension rod. *If* we used a
door, it would have to be installed to/through the fiberglass just
like the stall.

Shower surround repair nospamplse Home Repair 6 April 4th 07 02:54 PM
Shower surround snave Home Repair 0 August 17th 06 08:11 AM
Leaky seals on shower surround door blueman Home Repair 0 April 4th 06 02:01 AM
Shower Surround Alternatives Randy Mahoney Home Repair 4 August 19th 05 09:01 PM
What tile should I use on shower surround? Jeff Smith Home Repair 5 June 27th 03 11:12 AM