Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing question

all the water lines inside my home are 1/2 inch, although the outdoor
supply is 3/4

we have a single copper 1/2 inch line servicing the bathroom. it
supplies the toilet sink and finally the shower

if someone flushes the toilet while someone is in the shower they get
burned.

the cold water pressure and flow drops nearly all goes to the toilet.

my fix is add a hot and cold PEX lines just for the shower from the
hot water tank area.

i think this would decrease the problem a lot.

my neighbor thinks it wouldnt help. he will be helping snake the line
and feels the pex is a waste of time.

opinions please.............

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:30:57 -0700, "
wrote:

all the water lines inside my home are 1/2 inch, although the outdoor
supply is 3/4

we have a single copper 1/2 inch line servicing the bathroom. it
supplies the toilet sink and finally the shower

if someone flushes the toilet while someone is in the shower they get
burned.

the cold water pressure and flow drops nearly all goes to the toilet.

my fix is add a hot and cold PEX lines just for the shower from the
hot water tank area.

i think this would decrease the problem a lot.

my neighbor thinks it wouldnt help. he will be helping snake the line
and feels the pex is a waste of time.

opinions please.............

From my DIY corner I believe it would help. You segment the shower
back to a larger pipe and it has no bearing on the sink or toilet;
during use. Those remain on the single supply you have.

If you do this, rent the crimper for a one time job. About $25. a day
(plus cost deposit). Have all the connectors ready on site.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
all the water lines inside my home are 1/2 inch, although the outdoor
supply is 3/4

we have a single copper 1/2 inch line servicing the bathroom. it
supplies the toilet sink and finally the shower

if someone flushes the toilet while someone is in the shower they get
burned.

the cold water pressure and flow drops nearly all goes to the toilet.

my fix is add a hot and cold PEX lines just for the shower from the
hot water tank area.

i think this would decrease the problem a lot.

It may help, but will not cure the problem. Best solution is to install an
anti-scald valve. You can adjust it to a maximum temperature and it will
not go above that if the water is turned on. Keep in mind, if someone in
another room turns on the hot water, you may get a cold shower, but not the
other way around. Another advantage is you cannot accidentally turn the
hot to a scalding temperature. Especially good with kids or elderly in the
house.

For more money you can get a thermostatic faucet that will keep a constant
temperature, but will have some decreased flow if another faucet is opened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
all the water lines inside my home are 1/2 inch, although the outdoor
supply is 3/4

we have a single copper 1/2 inch line servicing the bathroom. it
supplies the toilet sink and finally the shower

if someone flushes the toilet while someone is in the shower they get
burned.

the cold water pressure and flow drops nearly all goes to the toilet.

my fix is add a hot and cold PEX lines just for the shower from the
hot water tank area.

i think this would decrease the problem a lot.

my neighbor thinks it wouldnt help. he will be helping snake the line
and feels the pex is a waste of time.

opinions please.............

For one it sounds like a older home were they didn't pay much attention to
sizing plumbing

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. net...

For one it sounds like a older home were they didn't pay much attention to
sizing plumbing

I wasn't ready to send it, What I would do is increase the cold supply like
your planning , If you put a bigger supply to the hot you will have a longer
wait for Hot Water more volume in the pipe. Plus with all these low flow
fixtures you need less water. If you do run a new Hot stick with 1/2" but I
see no point unless there are other fixtures of the same line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 10:37?pm, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message

. net...

For one it sounds like a older home were they didn't pay much attention to
sizing plumbing

I wasn't ready to send it, What I would do is increase the cold supply like
your planning , If you put a bigger supply to the hot you will have a longer
wait for Hot Water more volume in the pipe. Plus with all these low flow
fixtures you need less water. If you do run a new Hot stick with 1/2" but I
see no point unless there are other fixtures of the same line.

house was built in 1950.

my plan was to run new PEX both hot and cold while we already have the
kitchen cieling open directly under the bath. its a job of
opportunity.

later I might upgrade the basement lines to 3/4 or one inch. its a
open area would be easy.

wonder what a conversion from a 3 valve to thermostat valve would
cost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

another advantage seperate service valves for tub... so sink toilet
could be on while shower off.

had a shower valve malfunction late one nite i had to turn off cold
valve to bathroom, so the toilet was out of service too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:54:09 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote Re plumbing question:

Here's another option. turn the service valve to the toilet almost all the
way off. It'll fill a lot slower, but who cares?

That's a good idea worth a try.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Sep 13, 6:30 pm, " wrote:
all the water lines inside my home are 1/2 inch, although the outdoor
supply is 3/4

we have a single copper 1/2 inch line servicing the bathroom. it
supplies the toilet sink and finally the shower

if someone flushes the toilet while someone is in the shower they get
burned.

Aahhh,.... Why don't you lock the door when you're
in the shower so no one can use/flush the toilet?
A whole lot cheaper fix!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 4:58?pm, KC wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:30 pm, " wrote: all the water lines inside my home are 1/2 inch, although the outdoor
supply is 3/4

we have a single copper 1/2 inch line servicing the bathroom. it
supplies the toilet sink and finally the shower

if someone flushes the toilet while someone is in the shower they get
burned.

Aahhh,.... Why don't you lock the door when you're
in the shower so no one can use/flush the toilet?
A whole lot cheaper fix!

what lock out my wife? she would object worse she tends to live in the
bathroom

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

When I first moved into my house, no matter how many times I asked her not
to do it, she would forget and either flush the toilet or start the laundry
washer while I was in the shower. I would either be scalded by the toilet or
frozen by the washer taking all the hot water.

I have since fixed the problem with temperature and pressure control valves
in all the showers along with additional parallel piping and larger sizes
for the house supply mains.

oups.com...

Plumbing question dean Home Repair 8 June 8th 07 04:24 AM
Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 08:07 PM
PEX Plumbing Question a Home Repair 9 June 13th 05 10:32 PM
plumbing question [email protected] Home Ownership 5 February 27th 05 03:32 AM
plumbing question chris gallagher UK diy 2 October 28th 03 05:34 PM