Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clothes Dryer Repair or Replace

Hey All,
Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about a
year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace it?
If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?
What other manufactures make good clothes dryers?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CP" wrote in message
Hey All,
Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about a
year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace
it?
If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?
What other manufactures make good clothes dryers?
Thanks.

Could be something simple, like an igniter, could be more complex like a
control or gas valve.

At 15 years it is near the end of its normal life, but my Maytag is 26 years
with one minor repair. Crap shoot on the repair/replace until you know the
cost. Under $100, repair, 100 to 200, questionable, over $200 I'd replace.

Go to www.repairclinic.com for some troubleshooting ideas.

Whirlpool is still one of the better brands. My local dealer recommends
them, Amana, Maytag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Give me a reson(s) why I should not buy Whirlpool.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:33:34 +0000, CP wrote:

Hey All,
Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about
year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace
it?
If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?
What other manufactures make good clothes dryers?
Thanks.

If you call someone out it could run you at least $150.00. Double that and
you could get a new dryer. Don't buy whirlpool,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 3:20 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:06:02 +0000, CP wrote:
Give me a reson(s) why I should not buy Whirlpool.

I don't care for them.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:33:34 +0000, CP wrote:

Hey All,
Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about
year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace
it?
If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?
What other manufactures make good clothes dryers?
Thanks.

If you call someone out it could run you at least $150.00. Double that and
you could get a new dryer. Don't buy whirlpool,- Hide quoted text -

Unless you can diagnose and then fix it if it's cost effective, junk
it. It's not worth the service call to find out what's wrong on a 15
year old unit. You can go to Consumer's Reports website for rating
info on new ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CP wrote:
Hey All,
Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed
about a year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or
replace it? If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?
What other manufactures make good clothes dryers?
Thanks.

Well, you've got to pull it out to replace it. Why not check to see if the
igniter/pilot light still works? Maybe the thermostat-dohicky.

Longer to dry MAY be a lint-clog in the exhaust vent and a new dryer may not
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/9/2007 3:20 PM Meat Plow said the following:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:06:02 +0000, CP wrote:

Give me a reson(s) why I should not buy Whirlpool.

I don't care for them.

Good enough. What other things don't you care for. I want to avoid them too.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

CP wrote:

Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about a
year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace it?
If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?

If you're a DIY'er you can probably fix it for less than $50 in
materials. Otherwise the cost of parts and labor would come close to
the price of a new dryer.

As for brands, one aspect of most Whirlpools is that both the intake and
exhaust air paths are on the same side of the drum. Compare that with
Maytag or GE where the exhaust is drawn from the front of the drum,
which provides better air circulation and more efficient drying IMHO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CP" wrote in message
Hey All,
Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about a
year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace
it?
If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?
What other manufactures make good clothes dryers?
Thanks.

Repairclinic.com

My whirlpool did the same thing, I had the same dilema, turned out to be a
$20 gas valve. Easy fix.

--

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
:

CP wrote:
Hey All,
Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed
about a year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or
replace it? If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?
What other manufactures make good clothes dryers?
Thanks.

Well, you've got to pull it out to replace it. Why not check to see if
the igniter/pilot light still works? Maybe the thermostat-dohicky.

Longer to dry MAY be a lint-clog in the exhaust vent and a new dryer
may not help.

dohicky

Boy those are versatile. I've seen them in motocycles and computers too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 17:13:22 -0400, willshak wrote:

on 9/9/2007 3:20 PM Meat Plow said the following:
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:06:02 +0000, CP wrote:

Give me a reson(s) why I should not buy Whirlpool.

I don't care for them.

Good enough. What other things don't you care for. I want to avoid them too.

I don't care for dicks like you who can't except an opinion.