Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Clothes Dryer Repair or Replace

CP wrote:

Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all.
Not a venting or lint problem.
It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about a
year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes.
Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace it?
If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy?

If you're a DIY'er you can probably fix it for less than $50 in
materials. Otherwise the cost of parts and labor would come close to
the price of a new dryer.

As for brands, one aspect of most Whirlpools is that both the intake and
exhaust air paths are on the same side of the drum. Compare that with
Maytag or GE where the exhaust is drawn from the front of the drum,
which provides better air circulation and more efficient drying IMHO.