Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replace outdoor 100 amp circuit breaker?

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm currently having a electrical problems with the
lights in my house flickering on and off, and there were a couple of
rooms (living room and one of the bedrooms) in the house wherein the
electricity had completely shut off. I checked the breaker box
inside the house, but nothing had tripped. So I went outside and
walked over to where my electric meter is located, and there is a 100
amp breaker in an outdoor box directly under the meter. I flipped it
off, and then flipped it back on. When I went back inside the house,
all the electricity was back on in all of the rooms. But after a
couple of hours, the problems resumed with the lights flickering off
and on in all rooms, and the electricity again went completely out in
two rooms.

I called up the electric company yesterday because I wondered if it
could be problem on their end, so they sent out a utility to crew to
check on things with their gauges. They told me that the problem was
that the outdoor 100 amp breaker was getting too hot and needed
replacement. Hopefully I can find one that matches at home depot or
one of those other places.

I was just wondering what precautions I should take before replacing
this outdoor breaker that's in this box under my electric meter? Or
is this too dangerous a job and I should call an electrician? I
would like to try and do it myself and save some money, if it's
possible.

I looked the breaker over (after removing the panel) and noticed that
it's hooked up to two thick wires. When replacing this breaker,
should I contact the electric company and have them cut off all the
electricity going to the meter beforehand? I'm thinking that it's
very possible that one could get electrocuted while disconnecting the
breaker when pulling it out of the slot..if one of those thick wires
make contact.

I have replaced breakers inside the breaker box in my house, but
whenever I worked on those, as a precaution I always shut off this
outside breaker. But now I need to replace the outside one. I'm
just wondering if any of you reading have ever replaced an outside
breaker like this, and what precautions you took...

thanks,
tysteel

please email me at:

tysteel5000 @ aol.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There are other things that need to be considered like the condition of the
buss that the breaker connects to, and other internal connections, any of
which can cause a breaker to overheat. Without disconnecting power to the
drop, something will be live and dangerous. It's entirely possible that the
utility company won't kill the power for an amateur to fiddle with it. My
recommendation is to hire someone that knows the equipment, and knows what
to look for and can safely make the repair

"tysteel" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

tysteel wrote:
[...]

A journeyman electricion will simply call the power company and tell
them that he is dfisconnecting the power. He will then clip the seal
on the meter band clamp and remove the band and unplug the meter. When
the work is completed the meter is reinstalled, the power company is
notified, they send out a tech and a new seal is installed on the
meter band.
FWIW, in many locales an outside breaker is almost unheard of. Most
service entrance panels now come with a main breaker already
installed. You would be wise to consider upgrading your service panel
and it would be best to have a pro do it. Have the grounding system
inspected and brought up to code while you're at it. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

tysteel wrote:
[...]

Try to locate a new breaker. If you can find one, tell the electric
company you'll need to break the seal on the meter to repair the main
disconnect.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

this sounds a lot like a bad neutral , you need an electrician !!!!!!!!

tysteel wrote:
Hi everyone,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
tysteel wrote:
[...]

Bob are you nuts I work practically every day on live power
but I would not take chance on what you are suggesting

Man call electrical company that is license for that type of work
and let them do what's need to be done
Tony
www.cas-environ.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
tysteel wrote:
[...]

The Southern Standard Building Code required an outdoor disconnecting
means on dwellings. I do not know if it still does. Many towns and
cities that once used the SBC have retained the outdoor disconnect
requirement in their present code as a legacy requirement. The fire
service is real fond of that rule.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 7:44?pm, "tony" wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

tysteel wrote:
[...]

Tonywww.cas-environ.com- Hide quoted text -

pulling a meter is safe provided your careful, dont touch live
conductors etc, pull meter straight out, mark glass meter and meter
can with aligning mark to ease reinstall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

but illegal in most locales unless you are a licensed,bonded,insured,
journeyman electrician ,
here where i live ,utility company will not let me pull meter , even though i
am
licensed , they want to pull and replace , tell me not to touch it , say they
will prosecute if i remove .
makes for some long days sometimes waiting for them to show up

" wrote:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 9, 10:15?am, (The Freon Cowboy)
wrote:
but illegal in most locales unless you are a licensed,bonded,insured,
journeyman electrician ,
here where i live ,utility company will not let me pull meter , even though i
am
licensed , they want to pull and replace , tell me not to touch it , say they
will prosecute if i remove .
makes for some long days sometimes waiting for them to show up

" wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:44?pm, "tony" wrote:- Hide quoted text -

around here power company doesnt care provided you notify them when
done so meter can be resealed

no matter what the rules its not unsafe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas Horne wrote:

Joe wrote:
tysteel wrote:
[...]

I think the fire folks in other areas just figured out how safe and easy
it is to pull the meter and get the same effect. Of course if the whole
structure is going up they do like to get the utility over to cut the
lines at the pole, something the outside disconnect wouldn't do anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:44?pm, "tony" wrote:- Hide quoted text -

around here power company doesnt care provided you notify them when
done so meter can be resealed

no matter what the rules its not unsafe

It's particularly safe with the newer lever bypass type sockets that
bypass electrically and remove contact pressure from the meter lugs. Of
course you have to remember to flip the bypass off after you pull the
meter, but the cover won't go back on if the bypass is active anyway. As
always, do the lockout tagout thing while you have the meter pulled and
are working.

As for the "legality" of pulling the meter yourself, that varies from
area to area, and the utility "rules" are not legal requirements, only
local codes are. That said, in all areas I have never hesitated to just
cut the seal and pull the meter myself for work on my own house and have
yet to have any issues from anyone. YMMV...
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Freon Cowboy wrote:
but illegal in most locales unless you are a licensed,bonded,insured,
journeyman electrician ,
here where i live ,utility company will not let me pull meter , even
though i am
licensed , they want to pull and replace , tell me not to touch it ,
say they will prosecute if i remove .
makes for some long days sometimes waiting for them to show up

"Utility company will not let me pull meter..." What will happen in you do?

Will the utility company make you sit in the corner and feel shame?

Tell 'em you tapped on it and if fell out! Screw 'em.

Around here, the utility company asks you to call them so they can rush
right out and record the meter reading (within six hours). When you finish
your work, call them again and they'll come an re-seal (within 24 hours).

Point is, I guess, requirements differ depending on location and the
influence of certain special-interest groups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
In many locations an outside meter box/main disconnect is what's required

Crazy! Ain't it!

I don't actually watch the installaions but it seems that in NEW
construction, the outside stuff associated with electrical service is much
larger.

Was that the only thing you would see could be the meter box (12" x 12"
more or less) and the conduit protecting the underground service drop.

Now the "meter box" is about 18" x 36".

For a time because of carelessness on the part of the power company, I was
able to look inside a yet larger outside box associated with the electric
service to a church. There, actual current didn't pass through the meter
but when through some current transformers. IOW: if the meter was pulled,
the power would continue to be suppied.

Anyway, if pulling the meter doesn't cut the power to the building it would
seem that "they" would want some positive means of so doing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think the fire folks in other areas just figured out how safe and easy
it is to pull the meter and get the same effect. Of course if the whole
structure is going up they do like to get the utility over to cut the
lines at the pole, something the outside disconnect wouldn't do anyway.

For "larger" service the current wires pass through separate current
transformers. In such a case "pulling the meter" would not cut the juice to
the building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:

[...]

That is typically primary metering, used in large commercial
installations, not residential.

Anyway, if pulling the meter doesn't cut the power to the building it would
seem that "they" would want some positive means of so doing.

For a primary metering situation the disconnect would be fuses at the
pole and "normal" switchgear after the transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:

I think the fire folks in other areas just figured out how safe and easy
it is to pull the meter and get the same effect. Of course if the whole
structure is going up they do like to get the utility over to cut the
lines at the pole, something the outside disconnect wouldn't do anyway.

For "larger" service the current wires pass through separate current
transformers. In such a case "pulling the meter" would not cut the juice to
the building.

That's primary metering and what's passing through those current
transformers is running a 7.2KV or more. The disconnecting means is
after the transformer that is dropping that down to normal secondary
voltages. This is not something you'll ever find in a normal residential
situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tony wrote:

In my area you can be also persecuted for stealing electricity

They can threaten that, but the burden of proof is on them and they will
certainly fail if you didn't steal any electricity. Removing the meter
to disconnect power so you can work on the panel in no way shape or form
equates to stealing electricity.

"The Freon Cowboy" wrote in message
m...
but illegal in most locales unless you are a licensed,bonded,insured,
journeyman electrician ,
here where i live ,utility company will not let me pull meter , even
though i
am
licensed , they want to pull and replace , tell me not to touch it , say
they
will prosecute if i remove .
makes for some long days sometimes waiting for them to show up

" wrote:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

tysteel wrote:
[...]

"Up to code" may mean totally rewiring to 200 amp service. This means new
meter box, new weather post, new service wires. My son wanted to upgrade
and the city refused to approve the 100 amp service. He was allowed to do
all the work himself except for connecting to the pole and it cost him about
$400 in materials. Compare this to the cost of a repair if the service is
sufficient, maybe $100 or so, including labor, depending on local
electrician rates.

Mike D.

Joe