Posted to alt.home.repair
tony tony is offline

Default replace outdoor 100 amp circuit breaker?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
tysteel wrote:
Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm currently having a electrical problems with the
lights in my house flickering on and off, and there were a couple of
rooms (living room and one of the bedrooms) in the house wherein the
electricity had completely shut off. I checked the breaker box
inside the house, but nothing had tripped. So I went outside and
walked over to where my electric meter is located, and there is a 100
amp breaker in an outdoor box directly under the meter. I flipped it
off, and then flipped it back on. When I went back inside the house,
all the electricity was back on in all of the rooms. But after a
couple of hours, the problems resumed with the lights flickering off
and on in all rooms, and the electricity again went completely out in
two rooms.

I called up the electric company yesterday because I wondered if it
could be problem on their end, so they sent out a utility to crew to
check on things with their gauges. They told me that the problem was
that the outdoor 100 amp breaker was getting too hot and needed
replacement. Hopefully I can find one that matches at home depot or
one of those other places.

I was just wondering what precautions I should take before replacing
this outdoor breaker that's in this box under my electric meter? Or
is this too dangerous a job and I should call an electrician? I
would like to try and do it myself and save some money, if it's
possible.

I looked the breaker over (after removing the panel) and noticed that
it's hooked up to two thick wires. When replacing this breaker,
should I contact the electric company and have them cut off all the
electricity going to the meter beforehand? I'm thinking that it's
very possible that one could get electrocuted while disconnecting the
breaker when pulling it out of the slot..if one of those thick wires
make contact.

I have replaced breakers inside the breaker box in my house, but
whenever I worked on those, as a precaution I always shut off this
outside breaker. But now I need to replace the outside one. I'm
just wondering if any of you reading have ever replaced an outside
breaker like this, and what precautions you took...

Try to locate a new breaker. If you can find one, tell the electric
company you'll need to break the seal on the meter to repair the main
disconnect.

Bob

Bob are you nuts I work practically every day on live power
but I would not take chance on what you are suggesting

Man call electrical company that is license for that type of work
and let them do what's need to be done
Tony
www.cas-environ.com