Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Default What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

"dg" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 8 Sep, 05:52, Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

This one really shook me up.

I was using a Paslode (gas) nail gun on some decking. I had to hold a
small piece of timber against the side of joist, in order to nail it
with the gun. I was working kneeling downwards, a bit uncomfortable,
with the gun horizontal in a bit of a confined space. Basically doing
everything wrong.

I fired the gun, and the nail went in. But in a split second the gun
recoiled, and as I was pushing it against the timber it went forward
and across slightly and the tip squashed hard against my index
finger.

This happened so quickly that I really thought I had shot through my
finger.

The pain was intense, as was that feeling of sickness in my stomach
and light headedness at the thought of having no finger.

When Iooked, my finger tip was bloody and cut but in one piece.

But it was a lesson for me to have greater respect for tools.

dg

At first I didn't like this thread. But your last sentence sums up my
realization that it might help me to avoid an accident I never want to have.
Everybody here has probably said at some point, in hindsight, "gosh, that
(thing I did) was really stupid".

To safety---cheers!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 8, 4:10 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Not letting the router spin down before moving it smartly into my jeans

and JUST missing my femoral artery.

I've got a nice crescent-moon shaped scar on my thigh from sitting on
the deck of my boat, grinding some new fiberglass work with an angle
grinder, and forgetting the "spin-down" part before setting it
down...which is not an uncommon accident among boatyard workers. I've
met several other guys with similar interesting scars.

Most of us only do it once, though! And before somebody leaps in
yakking about guards, you can't use a guard on a grinder when flat-
grinding glasswork. It's impossible.

More than a few fall off ladders in boatyards, as well. Everybody
gets confident about their ability to climb one-handed (or no-handed)
while carrying heavy tools or awkward parts. Most of the time, it
works, too...

It only needs to not-work once though.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

Wearing school uniform in the UK equivalent of Workshop 101. Got my tie wrapped round the lathe, and
it was too short for me to reach the kill switch.
After that we could take our ties off in the workshop.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 22:47:23 UTC, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:

What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

Don't really want to feed this journalist/'researcher' but..

(a not uncommon scenario)

I worked in a large garage for a couple of summers. Guy fiddling around
under dashboard of car. Wearing watch with stainless steel bracelet.
Yes...shorted heavy 12 volt cable to car body via bracelet. Lots of
current and heat.

I wear a loose, thin stainless steel chain on one wrist. Take it off
when working inside PCs, on cars, near batteries, etc...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message . com, dg
writes
This happened so quickly that I really thought I had shot through my
finger.
The pain was intense, as was that feeling of sickness in my stomach
and light headedness at the thought of having no finger.
When Iooked, my finger tip was bloody and cut but in one piece.
But it was a lesson for me to have greater respect for tools.
dg

Somewhat related, but not altogether DIY.
My mother had to call in the vet to put her horse down, he was about 20
years old, the horse not the vet and was not too well with no chance of
improvement. So as not to confuse him too much the act was going to be
performed in front of his stable which is at the end of a 100yd private
road way. The horse was being led down the drive by my mother and the
vet was walking along behind carrying the humane killer, a cartridge gun
that fires a captive bolt. Very similar to a nail gun and has the same
sort of safety lock, it has to be pressed against a surface before it
will fire.

BANG!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother and horse turn around to see the vet on his knees holding both,
bloody, hands to his chest and not looking at all well.

What he had done was to walk along swinging his arms from side to side
while holding the humane killer. At some point the end of the killer had
hit the free hand and some how he managed to pull the trigger as well
putting the bolt through his hand.
Not as bad as it first appeared but no doubt painful and embarrassing
all the same.

Allegedly the horse had a smile on his face, but not for long.
--
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 11:52 pm, Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

December 4th 1994, I went on my roof to string Christmas lights and
clean the gutters. The weather ws OK, no snow, but by the time I was
done it had been snowing for about 20 minutes. The ladder was against
the eve gutter, only one story, and bottomn of ladder on the
driveway. When I put my weight on the ladder, ice had built up under
the ladder feet, I went down. My fall was broken mostly by my left
hand. As I pushed myself up off the driveway, I felt a burning
sensation on palm side of my wrist. I looked down and BOTH arm bones
were protruding from the wrist and the tendons had pulled my "no
longer attached" hand up my forearm a few inches. I was rushed to
hospital and the next day underwent a 12 hour reconstructive surgery
to reattach hand, reposition the nerves so they could grow again, and
tendons. It was paralized for about 4 months before the main nerves
began to talk again, and about 8 years to stop healing fully. Today I
have 85 percent of my normal range of motion.

The worst part is that I was a jass guitarist, and a damn good one. I
began playing guitar again in 2005 after 10 years, I've learned to
hold it differently to compensate, but now there is little time for
gigging as I have a family. I'm just grateful to play again.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 7:27 pm, RickH wrote:
On Sep 7, 11:52 pm, Ken wrote:

[...]

Typo, I meant jazz guitarist (not jass).

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 11:36:12 -0700, Jane & David
wrote:

In article tPBEi.2171$Ot1.929@trnddc07,
"newman" wrote:

friend of mine was on tractor and his wife, who had long hair, was behind
guiding post-hole digger. her hair got wrapped around mechanism and
partially tore out part of her scalp.

Whoa, that made my remaining hair stand up. Several years ago, I was
doing a long rip with a circular saw and noticed that a few long hairs
were bouncing off the blade. Only a few hairs had come untied and none
got caught by the blade, but it scared the **** out of me and so that
was the last day I ever had long hair (not that I could anyway lately).

PDX David

Second son was working under his pickup when I came home from yard
saleing with a mechanics creeper, so I told him "here try this" and
left for another area of town. All went well at first, his pony tail
well secured; then he had to move a little to one side. I don't know
the fine details, but about an hour latter he was out from under the
truck.
Now he has a 1/2' brush cut.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
CJT CJT is offline

dg wrote:

On 8 Sep, 05:52, Ken wrote:

[...]

I shot a staple through my finger once. That was bad enough. I think
I know the feeling you describe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

When I got my first saw, a neighbor gave me some safety training. The reason
the blade is so far to the right, is that it's easy for right handers to
keep their body to the left of the blade. I'm amazed how many people I've
seen with thier body (such as face) right behind the blade. I try to explain
the safety, and they keep on endangering their own lives.

I'm left handed so my technique is a bit different.

The guy who gave me my orange saw had been drinking. He showed me the scar
where he nearly took off his leg. He also left the gas in the saw, and the
saw wasn't very useful. He went on to drink and drive. Was in a wreck, broke
his pelvis, and nearly took his leg off. Again. Different machine.

Sad.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message . com, RickH
writes
On Sep 8, 7:27 pm, RickH wrote:
On Sep 7, 11:52 pm, Ken wrote:

[...]

No, really, you meant jizz

--
geoff
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Gordon" d@p wrote in message

Wearing school uniform in the UK equivalent of Workshop 101. Got my tie
wrapped round the lathe, and it was too short for me to reach the kill
switch.
After that we could take our ties off in the workshop.

In recent years it would be mandatory to remove a tie. Makes you wonder
what they were thinking. Or they were not thinking.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Dave Gordon" d@p wrote in message

Wearing school uniform in the UK equivalent of Workshop 101. Got my tie wrapped round the lathe,
and it was too short for me to reach the kill switch.
After that we could take our ties off in the workshop.

In recent years it would be mandatory to remove a tie. Makes you wonder what they were thinking. Or
they were not thinking.

It was the 1960s. The Elf n Safety Nazis didn't exist then, and the UK wasn't litigation-crazy like
now.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y
ron ron is offline

Everyone I know always pokes fun at me for my attention to detail and
safety. Stupid accidents will never happen to me.

That is until one night when I had a rush job, doing something I had done a
hundered times. I was too tired to be out in my shop and was too stressed
from a rough day at work. I was doing repetitive cuts on a project and I ran
my left hand over my table saw blade.

As I said I was too tired, I failed to reset the blade height and for the
first time that I can remember, I did not use a push stick.

I cut my middle finger just where it attached to my hand, severed my index
finger and my thumb right at the knuckle.

It was about a thirty minute ride to the emergency room, with my finger in a
bag of ice, and then another fourty five minute ambulance ride to St. Lukes
Hospital in Houston.

The finger and thumb were reattached and are mostly useable. They do serve
as constant reminders to never take any tools for granted.

Oh by the way, I do still jump a little when I hear my table saw start.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 12:52 am, Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

20+ years ago I was putting the railing on my deck and I used a
couple
36" flat bar clamps to hold the railing to the posts temporarily. I
attached the clamps with the bars pointing out into the yard, not
back
over the deck. I stepped back a few feet for a visual and then
walked towards to railing to adjust it. My eyes were focused on the
railing, not on the clamps, so I never saw the end of the steel bar
until it hit my safety glasses. It knocked them off and put a rather
large gash in my forehead, just above my left eye.

After I bandaged myself up and retrieved my safety glasses, I found a
deep scratch that started dead center in the left lens and extended
up
to the frame. If not for the safety glasses deflecting the bar up
into my forehead, it would have gone straight into my left eye.

I still have a scar (and the railing) to remind me how important
safety glasses are.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"newman" wrote:

friend of mine was on tractor and his wife, who had long hair, was behind
guiding post-hole digger. her hair got wrapped around mechanism and
partially tore out part of her scalp.

Whoa, that made my remaining hair stand up. Several years ago, I was
doing a long rip with a circular saw and noticed that a few long hairs
were bouncing off the blade. Only a few hairs had come untied and none
got caught by the blade, but it scared the **** out of me and so that
was the last day I ever had long hair (not that I could anyway lately).

PDX David

When I was running an alarm company..had a long haired installer
running a bell hanger bit straight up through the ceiling of a church,
from the top of a 12' ladder.

If course it was a dull bit and he started hugging the drill motor to
push up harder...

Hair got spun around the drill bit. Rather than calling for
help....he paniced and either jumped or fell off the top of the
ladder.

I got a call from his wife at the hospital telling me he was there
being treated and would I please gather up his tool?

Arriving at the church..Im greeted by a badly shocked pastor and
staff..all looking a bit green. I had to back out the drill bit and
unwind the hair and about 1/3 of his total scalp. I quickly put it on
ice and ran it down to the hospital, where they managed to reattach
it, about 45 minutes after the accident. Most..most of it managed to
reattach but not all of it and they later had to use maggots to
debride the dead tissue.

Wrapped up his head with a handful of maggots under gauze, chewing
away the dead tissues. He said it tickled.

Shrug

Gunner
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 11:35:21 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Imagine my surprise when one of my test injuries was a 'sprain' to area
'gentials' :-)

I have that happen a lot... (g)

Repetitive strain injury?

Gunner
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"newman" wrote:

[...]

Considering what a general klutz I am, guess I should be grateful that my
father was always such a hardass about jobsite safety when I was a kid. I
had long hair back then, and he insisted that I keep it tied up with a
bandanna when working with power tools, or doing any high work. Having
started his career in the days before cheap easily available antibiotics, he
also would not tolerate scrap boards with nail points sticking out of them.
(Puncture wounds on a construction site are common.) Always check rigging,
tie off scaffolds, no confined-space work without a spotter, yada yada yada.
The lessons stuck, and I still have both eyes and all ten fingers and toes.
I did have accidents, of course, but they were all relatively minor. I can
relate to the post upstream about safety glasses- tagged myself just above
the left eye with a crowbar once, doing some minor demo work, when a rotted
piece of plywood shredded instead of coming off. Scalp cuts sure do bleed-
soaked right through a winter coat, from a superficial gash. A butterfly
bandage and a quart of orange juice, and I was back at work a couple hours
later.

Now that I am on the wrong side of fifty, and don't heal up near as fast as
I did as a kid, I am even more careful. Plan every move, double check
everything, take a break or knock off for the day when I start getting tired
enough or ****ed off enough to start making stupid errors. The only
power-tool work I do these days is for myself, so deadline pressure isn't an
issue. As long as I can button things up enough so weather isn't a problem,
there is always tomorrow.

aem sends...

aem sends...

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

Distant cousin of SWMBO was found dead in his workshop a couple of years
ago, and police originally treated it as suspicious. However, it
emerged that he'd disabled a safety feature on his industrial-grade
circular saw - I don't know the details but I think he somehow got
impaled on a length of wood he was cutting and bled to death before
being able to summon help.

David

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Distant cousin of SWMBO was found dead in his workshop a couple of years
ago, and police originally treated it as suspicious. However, it emerged
that he'd disabled a safety feature on his industrial-grade circular saw -
I don't know the details but I think he somehow got impaled on a length of
wood he was cutting and bled to death before being able to summon help.

That bring sup another point. My workshop is in a detached garage. I
usually work by myself, but I always take either the portable phone or my
cell phone.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 7, 11:52 pm, Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

I did some copy work for a forensic engineer that was investigating an
accident where a carpenter, who had used Liquid Nails to secure a new
sub floor, had ignited the trapped Liquid Nails vapors between the old
floor and the new decking. The entire floor blew upward, propelling
the carpenter into the ceiling, breaking his neck and killing him. He
was using a nail gun that apparently struck another nail that created
a spark.
-Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message , Stormin Mormon
writes
"Warning: Do not use lawn mower as a hedge trimmer. Do not use lawn mower
while intoxicated, asleep, or moronic."

And learn how to post properly

--
geoff
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Stormin Mormon wrote:
"Warning: Do not use lawn mower as a hedge trimmer. Do not use lawn mower
while intoxicated, asleep, or moronic."

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Should that have read:

"...while intoxicated, asleep, or mormonic." ?

David
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

In the flaming roof department. There is an ammusement park not far from
me,
that lost the hundred year old carousel (merry go round). Couple of
roofers
decided to warm up the tar on the roof with a torch, and it caught fire.
They used an extinguisher or two, and the park is literally across the
street from the volunteer FD.

There is a park near me that had (notice: had) a historic mansion that
was used as the county park system headquarters. Beautiful. They were
in the final stages of restoring it when some construction worker decided
to ignore the rules laid down in the contract and use a torch in the attic.

If I knew who it was I'd find him and strangle him with my bare hands.

nancy

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message , Edwin
Pawlowski writes

That bring sup another point. My workshop is in a detached garage. I
usually work by myself, but I always take either the portable phone or my
cell phone.

So when you are knocked unconscious either by a blow or by shock you can
phone for help?

May be better to rig up a timed loan worker system that sends an alarm,
i.e. if you don't reset it at a predetermined time it will alarm. The
timing could depend on the severity of the expected injuries.

--
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

mlcorson wrote:
On Sep 7, 11:52 pm, Ken wrote:
What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

I did some copy work for a forensic engineer that was investigating an
accident where a carpenter, who had used Liquid Nails to secure a new
sub floor, had ignited the trapped Liquid Nails vapors between the old
floor and the new decking. The entire floor blew upward, propelling
the carpenter into the ceiling, breaking his neck and killing him. He
was using a nail gun that apparently struck another nail that created
a spark.

Blimey. That sounds like a pretty good reason to stick to the
solvent-free stuff, then.

David
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg
http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/
.
"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
:
: When I was in school in the early 80's, I had a friend who had a
: job entering consumer product lawsuits into a database that was
: to be used as part of a research project. It was amazing reading
: some of these lawsuit summaries. Using a lawnmower as a hedge
: trimmer is actually a fairly common thing. A few beers beforehand
: always seems to make it look like a better idea. In the case
: that I read, the person got hurt badly. He sued the lawnmower
: manufacture and won some big money. The court ruled that the
: company was at fault because they didn't have any labels on the
: mower or any text in the owners manual that specifically said
: to not do that. That was said as if someone dumb enough to do
: such a thing would either read the manual or take the advice
: of a warning label.
:
: -john-

How big would the manual have to be to tell that retard all the things he should not use his lawnmower
for.
"Do not cut your finger nails with this device"
"Do not cut your hair with this device"
"This is not an extractor fan"

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Gunner wrote:

Arriving at the church..Im greeted by a badly shocked pastor and
staff..all looking a bit green. I had to back out the drill bit and
unwind the hair and about 1/3 of his total scalp. I quickly put it on
ice and ran it down to the hospital, where they managed to reattach
it, about 45 minutes after the accident. Most..most of it managed to
reattach but not all of it and they later had to use maggots to
debride the dead tissue.

Wrapped up his head with a handful of maggots under gauze, chewing
away the dead tissues. He said it tickled.

Isn't it amazing how well those maggots work? Nothing in "modern"
medicine that can match them.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill writes:
In message , Edwin
Pawlowski writes

That bring sup another point. My workshop is in a detached garage. I
usually work by myself, but I always take either the portable phone or my
cell phone.

So when you are knocked unconscious either by a blow or by shock you can
phone for help?

May be better to rig up a timed loan worker system that sends an alarm,
i.e. if you don't reset it at a predetermined time it will alarm. The
timing could depend on the severity of the expected injuries.

It would be relatively easy to program a zone on my alarm such
that no movement for a period (perhaps a minute) would trigger
an alarm. Could be 2-stage such that you get a reminder chime
first, and after another period the alarm is triggered. This
mode could be automatically entered when switching on the power
circuit feeding tools (and could switch circuit off when it
generates the alarm). This is similar to the programming for
"home safe" operation, i.e. generate alarm if kids haven't
arrived home from school by 6pm, or if an elderly resident
hasn't come out of their bedroom by 9am.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Gordon
writes
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

His god will save him

--
geoff

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
Distant cousin of SWMBO was found dead in his workshop a couple of years
ago, and police originally treated it as suspicious. However, it emerged
that he'd disabled a safety feature on his industrial-grade circular saw -
I don't know the details but I think he somehow got impaled on a length of
wood he was cutting and bled to death before being able to summon help.

That bring sup another point. My workshop is in a detached garage. I
usually work by myself, but I always take either the portable phone or my
cell phone.

My shop is detached, but that doesn't make any difference since I'm
single. I pretty much always have my cell phone with me, but since I'm
always working alone, I pay that much more attention to safety details.
I still never use the silly guard on my table saw, but I always wear
safety glasses, stand to the side out of the path of any kickback, and
use a pusher stick.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Pete C." writes:
My shop is detached, but that doesn't make any difference since I'm
single. I pretty much always have my cell phone with me, but since I'm
always working alone, I pay that much more attention to safety details.
I still never use the silly guard on my table saw, but I always wear
safety glasses, stand to the side out of the path of any kickback, and
use a pusher stick.

You sound typical of many of the injured persons described on
http://www.amgron.clara.net/circular.../accidents.htm
which was posted earlier in this thread.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Ken wrote:

What have been the worst (serious or humorous) handyman or handywoman
accidents that you've experienced so far (or someone you know, or saw
it happen to, got to experience) and please elaborate on what
unfortunately went wrong.

My dad was a contractor for decades. He did mostly fairly large projects
such as home additions, and that sort of thing. Some of his projects
were even featured in national magazines, so he had a great reputation.

When business got slow, my dad would accept smaller projects. I used to
help my dad out on jobs for many years.

On one job that consisted of adding a deck onto a kitchen in a modest
row house, my dad had to remove a window air conditioner in order to
knock down the kitchen's exterior wall.

My dad declined my offer to help and he said it was just a light air
conditioner and he could handle it himself. He opened the window to
release the air conditioner and it dropped out to the ground below. The
man who owned the home and I were both watching as this happened and the
look on my dad's face was priceless.

As it happened, the customer was behind in paying my dad, but my dad
liked the guy so he didn't make a big deal of it. After the crashing
sound ended, my dad just said in a smug face to the customer that he
could deduct the price of a new AC off the money he owed my dad.

Fortunately, the customer was nice about the situation, but the look on
his and my dad's faces just cracked me up. I was literarily on the floor
laughing! The look on my dad's face as he snarled at me to stop laughing
only made me laugh more.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
So when you are knocked unconscious either by a blow or by shock you can
phone for help?

Not a perfect sytem, but bett than nothing.

May be better to rig up a timed loan worker system that sends an alarm,

Why would an employee of a finance or mortgage company need that?

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"newman" wrote:

[...]

Speakin of hair, I was routing an edge the other day and felt a jerk,
and the router jumped out of my hands and (fortunately) stalled.
Turns out my hair (which I have since gotten trimmed much shorter) got
pulled not into the bit but into the motor--once enough hair was in
there it stopped, and now I can't turn it with a wrench it's so
packed.

Could have been tragic, instead, since I didn't get hurt, it's funny.
Was a very old router, had it for 40 years or so, I think it's the
first power tool I ever owned, from back when Black and Decker made
good stuff.

I'm just glad that it was that one and not the 3 horsepower job--that
one would have likely ripped my head off.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pete C." writes:
My shop is detached, but that doesn't make any difference since I'm
single. I pretty much always have my cell phone with me, but since I'm
always working alone, I pay that much more attention to safety details.
I still never use the silly guard on my table saw, but I always wear
safety glasses, stand to the side out of the path of any kickback, and
use a pusher stick.

You sound typical of many of the injured persons described on
http://www.amgron.clara.net/circular.../accidents.htm
which was posted earlier in this thread.

OK, favourites?
Mine is the fishing line one near the bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

If all mistakes were compiled, I would be fired, arrested, committed,
and divorced.

Fortunately, I have a poor memory that keeps me from thinking less of
myself.

I do remember that I got my finger in the grinder in April, and got 3
stitches. All these other scars are distant memories.
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Gordon" d@p writes:
You sound typical of many of the injured persons described on
http://www.amgron.clara.net/circular.../accidents.htm
which was posted earlier in this thread.

OK, favourites?
Mine is the fishing line one near the bottom.

Snap (or rather it didn't;-).
And the kickback one which got him on the head of the penis.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Arriving at the church..Im greeted by a badly shocked pastor and
staff..all looking a bit green. I had to back out the drill bit and
unwind the hair and about 1/3 of his total scalp. I quickly put it on
ice and ran it down to the hospital, where they managed to reattach
it, about 45 minutes after the accident. Most..most of it managed to
reattach but not all of it and they later had to use maggots to
debride the dead tissue.

Wrapped up his head with a handful of maggots under gauze, chewing
away the dead tissues. He said it tickled.

Isn't it amazing how well those maggots work? Nothing in "modern"
medicine that can match them.

I'm sure with genetic engineering, someone will create a custom "medical
grade" maggot. Then you'll have to pay $2500 per maggot for them.