Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless phone intercom/paging

I'm hoping someone has already been through this, because it's driving
me up a wall. I want to buy one of the many brands of cordless phone
where you get a base station and multiple handsets, but I want one
important featu intercom.

Now the frustrating part is that what I grew up calling an intercom
was a device where you pressed a button and spoke and anyone near the
other stations (or a target station) would hear your voice. It seems
that, in modern cordless phones, "intercom" is now lingo for the
ability to ring any of the other phones, which someone must then
answer.

Does anyone know of an actual intercom in the original sense of the
word on a modern cordless phone? I've heard people say that this is
called "paging," but that now seems to have come to mean "making a
handset beep so that you can find it in your seat cushions." In fact,
every word that might have meant what I thought it meant now seems to
mean, "you can make it beep or ring."

Thanks in advance!

--
Aaron Sherman
http://www.ajs.com/~ajs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 2:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

You probably need business speaker phones to do voice paging, heres
one:

http://www.smarthome.com/52022.html

There are others on smarthome.com that also do this, "speakerphone
with intercom" is what you want, (unless you want to get into an
expensive centralized phone control system). When you page all
phones, the first one that answers gets the exclusive connection to
you. Not sure if the person answering can simply talk to the
speakerphone or if they must pick up, but at least you would have
whole-house voice paging capability, instead of whole-house ringing.
Conversely I dont know if you can pick up any phone and "listen in"
simultaneously to all the other extensions unsolicited, like the old
intercoms would let you do. But the owners manuals are all out there
at smarthome to find out. There may even be a wireless business
speakerphone with intercom and paging.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ng-247554-.htm
:

wrote:

[...]

In the world of business phone systems "intercom" means that you can page
a particular telset through its speaker and they can talk back to you.
"Paging" means that you can page one telset, several or all, but they
cannot talk back to you.

I am not aware of any residential-grade intercom system that would combine
both ways of "paging". But business phone systems, albeit slightly used,
that have both features can be had on eBay for laughable amounts of money
and installed in a residential house in one evening or just about. All the
manuals are usually available on the Web if they were not included with
the system. Note that they will require all cables to come back to the
system unit. You can also purchase cordless sets for those system, but
they are usually on the expensive side. I would seek out Avaya/Lucent
Partner systems only because I'm familiar with those but there are many
more makes/models to choose from.

Good luck!

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm hoping someone has already been through this, because it's driving
me up a wall. I want to buy one of the many brands of cordless phone
where you get a base station and multiple handsets, but I want one
important featu intercom.

I know this isn't what you want, but try a single-handset with a base unit
type cordless. They do just that kind of intercom.

Or, you could have a dedicated wireless intercom system, which you can
probably get from Radio Shack or some such place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gman wrote:
gman had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ng-247554-.htm
:
Aaron,

I would be grateful to learn if you found a true paging/intercom cordless
phone system. Like you were several yrs ago, I am most frustrated in
looking for this feature. My kids and wife scream thru our house. This
is not rocket science. Thanks so much.

Best,
Glenn

Have you considered a wireless intercom that is independent of the
phone ??

Such as:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107593976

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reed wrote:
gman wrote:
gman had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ng-247554-.htm

:
Aaron,

I would be grateful to learn if you found a true paging/intercom cordless
phone system. Like you were several yrs ago, I am most frustrated in
looking for this feature. My kids and wife scream thru our house. This
is not rocket science. Thanks so much.

Best,
Glenn

Have you considered a wireless intercom that is independent of the phone ??

Such as:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107593976

What sucks is that if you use it for an intercom, and not just saying
"pete, pick up line 1", you have to go over to it to talk back. At a
very old job in a very old building with a very old intercom, we could
reply without having to go near it. They are available but quite
expensive last time I priced them, and now it's just me here so I don't
need the intercom anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:42:16 +0000, gman wrote:
gman had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ng-247554-.htm
:
Aaron,

I would be grateful to learn if you found a true paging/intercom cordless
phone system. Like you were several yrs ago, I am most frustrated in
looking for this feature. My kids and wife scream thru our house. This
is not rocket science. Thanks so much.

Better yet, pretend you're civilized. Don't reply if some asshole
screams across the house. If somebody doesn't come downstairs at
dinnertime, go on without them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote the following:
Reed wrote:
gman wrote:
[...]

You mean that if someone calls you on the intercom, the intercom
automatically switches to send mode without any action on your part?
That's a nice feature to have for the boss. He just presses your
intercom number and without saying anything, he/she can hear everything
that is being said in the room.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 3:42*pm, (gman) wrote:
gman had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Cordless-phone-intercom-p...
*:
Aaron,

I would be grateful to learn if you found a true paging/intercom cordless
phone system. *Like you were several yrs ago, I am most frustrated in
looking for this feature. *My kids and wife scream thru our house. *This
is not rocket science. *Thanks so much.

Best,
Glenn

The Uniden TRU9485 has an intercom feature with a distinctive ring. I
can ring any handset or the base station individually, or all phones
on the system. It appears that Uniden no longer makes this model, but
the two-line TRU9466 seems to be available. I think that both models
are expandable to at least 10 handsets.

http://www.unidendirect.com/itemlist...tid=53&cat2=54

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
Tony wrote the following:
Reed wrote:
gman wrote:
[...]

Yes, exactly!

That's a nice feature to have for the boss. He just presses your
intercom number and without saying anything, he/she can hear everything
that is being said in the room.

When a room is being listened to it first makes a two tone sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to AZ Nomad, ScottK wrote:
aznomad.3 wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:42:16 +0000, gman

Better yet, pretend you're civilized. Don't reply if some asshole
screams across the house. If somebody doesn't come downstairs at
dinnertime, go on without them.

My, my. Aren't we the judgmental jerk?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to AaronJSherman, ScottK wrote:
AaronJSherman wrote:

[...]

The old Motorola MD670 (2003) series phones had this feature, it was
called "global page" and it was awesome. The phones had some other
problems but I used mine until I couldn't get batteries for them.
Motorola dropped out of the cordless phone business for awhile and when
they came back to the business, their new models dropped this feature.

I've been waiting for this simple feature to be included in *any* phone
since. It's amazing that no one has implemented this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ScottK wrote:

My, my. Aren't we the judgmental jerk?

Says the fool replying to a 4-year-old post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AaronJSherman wrote:

[...]

You mean like this unit ?

http://www.uniden.com/cordless-phone...m/invt/d17803g

where the info says:
"Use the intercom feature to talk between handsets. "
Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:

You mean like this unit ?

Now we have 2 doorknobs continuing a 4-year-old thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AaronJSherman wrote:

[...]

Which is noticably different than the ancient OP's
idea of intercom.

--
..
Christopher Doorknob Young
Posted to alt.bullshit,alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2014 10:08 PM, Home^Guy wrote:
ScottK wrote:

My, my. Aren't we the judgmental jerk?

Says the fool replying to a 4-year-old post.

At least he's not a moaners hub webbie, or a
top poster, or a Stucco Site webbie.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Retired , ScottK wrote:
Retired wrote:

You mean like this unit ?

http://www.uniden.com/cordless-phone...m/invt/d17803g
where the info says:
"Use the intercom feature to talk between handsets. "

No. Almost every cordless phone allows you to page and talk between
handsets like that. The page we're talking about is not a beep, but a
verbal announcement.

The Motorola unit I spoke of allowed you to hit "Global Page" from any
handset and then whatever you said into the handset would be broadcast to
all other idle handsets (loudly, in speakerphone mode.)

As in the example of the OP: "Dinner is ready, everyone come and eat."
could ring through the house.

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manu...r_Manual_E.pdf

Scott.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Home^Guy , ScottK wrote:
"Home" wrote:

Now we have 2 doorknobs continuing a 4-year-old thread.

And a third doorknob who doesn't realize the question is STILL valid after
four years and therefore worthy of discussion.

Posted to alt.bullshit,alt.home.repair

ScottK wrote:

My, my. Aren't we the judgmental jerk?

Says the fool replying to a 4-year-old post.

At least he's not a moaners hub webbie, or a
top poster, or a Stucco Site webbie.

Or a recently refomed longtime top-poster.

Posted to alt.bullshit,alt.home.repair

Those are the WORST!!!! Lower than dirt!!!

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

ScottK wrote:

My, my. Aren't we the judgmental jerk?

Says the fool replying to a 4-year-old post.

At least he's not a moaners hub webbie, or a
top poster, or a Stucco Site webbie.

Or a recently refomed longtime top-poster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ScottK" wrote in
message

stuff snipped

The old Motorola MD670 (2003) series phones had this feature, it was
called "global page" and it was awesome. The phones had some other
problems but I used mine until I couldn't get batteries for them.

2X Cordless Home Phone Battery for Motorola MA560 MA561 MA580 MA581 MD550
MD670

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Cordless-...a-MA560-MA561-
MA580-MA581-MD550-MD670-/171162314992?
pt=US_Telephone_Batteries&hash=item27da11a8f0

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.
Christopher Doorknob Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Mr. Young, Did you actually *read* the post? The ancient OP indicated he
wanted a unit that had the features of what he considered an intercom:

Now the frustrating part is that what I grew up calling an intercom
was a device where you pressed a button and spoke and anyone near the
other stations (or a target station) would hear your voice...

Which is *exactly* what I was describing.

Now, after rekindling my hope, I started poking around and found out that
indeed, the more recent versions (5.8 Mhz) of the Panasonic lines had a
feature they called "True Voice Paging" that did exactly this! I was
excited and figured I'd check into the 6.0 DECT phones. Amazingly, in the
6.0 phones, they have removed this feature! I found several sites selling
panasonic phones that list True Voice Paging as a feature but on the
Panasonic site, the specs for same model numbers do NOT. My guess is the
retailers can't imagine Panasonic removing the feature or they're just
cutting and pasting the specs from a previous model.. Or both.

I went to a Fry's Electronics nearby and went through every Panasonic DECT
6.0 phone -- no Voice Paging. Not just Panasonic, either -- none of the
DECT 6.0 phones had Voice Paging. So, off to ebay for me...

Scott.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Green , ScottK wrote:
robert_green1963 wrote:

"ScottK" wrote in
message
stuff snipped
2X Cordless Home Phone Battery for Motorola MA560 MA561 MA580 MA581 MD550
MD670

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Cordless-...a-MA560-MA561-
MA580-MA581-MD550-MD670-/171162314992?
pt=US_Telephone_Batteries&hash=item27da11a8f0

Thanks for the link, Bobby!

I wish I'd had that years ago. My Moto system is long gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ScottK" wrote in
message oups.com...
robert_green1963 wrote:

"ScottK" wrote in
message
stuff snipped
2X Cordless Home Phone Battery for Motorola MA560 MA561 MA580 MA581

MD550
MD670

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Cordless-...a-MA560-MA561-
MA580-MA581-MD550-MD670-/171162314992?
pt=US_Telephone_Batteries&hash=item27da11a8f0

Thanks for the link, Bobby!

I wish I'd had that years ago. My Moto system is long gone.

You're welcome. Don't you have a "resurrection box?" That's where I put
things like your Moto phone to await their magical self-repair. Don't
laugh, I've had a number of devices that have "healed" themselves after time
in the box. Of course, an equal number of things have *stayed* dead, but a
50/50 revival rate isn't bad. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Senior Member

If you want a truly long range phone with an intercom function, consider Engenius.

Engenius phones work on both radio and telephone technology. You can use each hand set as a cordless phone, but the base station can be used as an "intercom" of sorts to call any one handset, or all handsets. So, for example, someone at the base station could call all the handsets to tell them that there's been a change in plans, and there's a meeting at the foreman's office to let them know what's changing. Or, a person at the base station can call only one handset and carry on a conversation with that one person.

My Engenius Durofon has truly amazing range. I can make or take a call from anywhere in my neighborhood, not just anywhere in my apartment block or anywhere in my apartment. And this is without the 6 inch long antenna installed that extends the range of the phone. It's with it's normal 3/4 inch nub of an antenna.

I remember the Panasonic Gigarange phones when they first came out (and I still have one). They made it look like you could make or take a call a mile away from your house, which was BS. My Durofon won't do a mile (it might with the range extending antenna installed), but it puts my Panasonic Gigarange phone to shame. The Gigarange starts losing the signal if I go into my parking lot for crying out loud. With my Durofon, I can walk two or three blocks away and still make or take a call, and I've done that when trying to find extra parking spots in my area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cordless phone intercom/paging The box - I'm serious!

Robert Green posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

You're welcome. Don't you have a "resurrection box?" That's where I put
things like your Moto phone to await their magical self-repair. Don't
laugh, I've had a number of devices that have "healed" themselves after time
in the box. Of course, an equal number of things have *stayed* dead, but a
50/50 revival rate isn't bad. (-:

Can I come over and live in the box? Would it give me a better chance? Is
there any conversion or donation involved? Long term contract? Does it
involve freezing/nitrogen? I don't want to live outside the box. How big is
it? Is there a franchise opportunity? Are you going to be on the ID
channel? I'm serious. Others need not apply. Post no bills.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Green , CCK10 wrote:
I see that this is now a 7 year old thread, but I am trying to solve the
same problem.

Is there really no solution to wanting to create an intercom where someone
can speak into a base station or handset and essentially have the
speakerphone function turned on by the receiving handset without that
person pressing any button? I am open to any kind of solution: cordless
phone, stand-alone intercom, iphone app with dedicated old iphones.
Any other solutions found to this?
Thanks
CC

robert_green1963 wrote:

"ScottK" wrote in
message oups.com...
MD550

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Cordless-...a-MA560-MA561-
You're welcome. Don't you have a "resurrection box?" That's where I put
things like your Moto phone to await their magical self-repair. Don't
laugh, I've had a number of devices that have "healed" themselves after

time
in the box. Of course, an equal number of things have *stayed* dead, but

50/50 revival rate isn't bad. (-:

Posted to alt.home.repair

More time has gone by - but I am looking for the same thing. A cordless phone with "voice paging" or what panasonic used to call "Auto answer" on extensions.

I found the same thing - old specs for the Panasonic cordless DECT range that claimed true voice paging, but I downloaded the manuals and it isn't there.

thanks

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:44:02 AM UTC+3, CCK10 wrote:
replying to Robert Green , CCK10 wrote:
I see that this is now a 7 year old thread, but I am trying to solve the
same problem.

Is there really no solution to wanting to create an intercom where someone
can speak into a base station or handset and essentially have the
speakerphone function turned on by the receiving handset without that
person pressing any button? I am open to any kind of solution: cordless
phone, stand-alone intercom, iphone app with dedicated old iphones.
Any other solutions found to this?
Thanks
CC

robert_green1963 wrote:

"ScottK" wrote in
message oups.com...
MD550

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Cordless-...a-MA560-MA561-
You're welcome. Don't you have a "resurrection box?" That's where I put
things like your Moto phone to await their magical self-repair. Don't
laugh, I've had a number of devices that have "healed" themselves after

time
in the box. Of course, an equal number of things have *stayed* dead, but

50/50 revival rate isn't bad. (-:

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to AaronJSherman , Buffbuh wrote:
FOUND IT!!!!:

http://telephones.att.com/products/product_detail/3249

ATT TL96151

Has what they call Connect-To-Cell AND Push-To-Talk! To talk to any ONE or
ALL other phones!!!

Spent the span of a day or two to find it. I'm going to try it out once
the set arrives.

So happy to find it!

Manual he
http://cdn-media-att.vtp-media.com/m...0_20150811.pdf