Posted to alt.home.repair
Retired[_2_] Retired[_2_] is offline

Default Cordless phone intercom/paging

On 3/17/14, 9:45 PM, ScottK wrote:
replying to AaronJSherman, ScottK wrote:
AaronJSherman wrote:

I'm hoping someone has already been through this, because it's driving
me up a wall. I want to buy one of the many brands of cordless phone
where you get a base station and multiple handsets, but I want one
important featu intercom.
Now the frustrating part is that what I grew up calling an intercom
was a device where you pressed a button and spoke and anyone near the
other stations (or a target station) would hear your voice. It seems
that, in modern cordless phones, "intercom" is now lingo for the
ability to ring any of the other phones, which someone must then
answer.
Does anyone know of an actual intercom in the original sense of the
word on a modern cordless phone? I've heard people say that this is
called "paging," but that now seems to have come to mean "making a
handset beep so that you can find it in your seat cushions." In fact,
every word that might have meant what I thought it meant now seems to
mean, "you can make it beep or ring."
Thanks in advance!
--
Aaron Sherman
http://www.ajs.com/~ajs

The old Motorola MD670 (2003) series phones had this feature, it was
called "global page" and it was awesome. The phones had some other
problems but I used mine until I couldn't get batteries for them.
Motorola dropped out of the cordless phone business for awhile and when
they came back to the business, their new models dropped this feature.

I've been waiting for this simple feature to be included in *any* phone
since. It's amazing that no one has implemented this.

You mean like this unit ?

http://www.uniden.com/cordless-phone...m/invt/d17803g

where the info says:
"Use the intercom feature to talk between handsets. "