Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpenter's glue

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message
What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

What is the something made out of?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Unrevealed Source wrote:
What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

Yep, quite nicely...

A good waxing of the clamps will work as well.

But, I'd work hard to try to eliminate/minimize squeeze out from a place
I'm clamping as a matter of practice if at all practical...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:09:41 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?

A damp cloth and a wipe up! Have one handy, before you start.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

You can wax your clamps before using them. Any wax will do, furniture
bees or car wax. ...

I'd suggest avoiding automotive waxes or others with silicone. The
silicone can wreak havoc w/ finishes on down the road...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

You can wax your clamps before using them. Any wax will do, furniture
bees or car wax. Or, consider applying a coat of varnish or
polyurethane to the wooden clamps. Don't go overboard with the
glue--a small amount of squeeze-out is what you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

Carpenters glue is intended to glue carpenter ants together. You dont
need to wipe the ants, they lick off the excess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Unrevealed Source wrote:
What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to
something? I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be
overflow of glue that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps.
Does waxpaper work?

Reasonably well. A piece of heavy plastic drop cloth material works
better. Or plastic tape.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/3/2007 3:10 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:
"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

What is the something made out of?

He said the "wooden" clamps.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
on 9/3/2007 3:10 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:
"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to
something? I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be
overflow of glue that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does
waxpaper work?

What is the something made out of?

He said the "wooden" clamps.
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I wonder if the glue might also ooze onto the "something" that he's gluing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

You can wax your clamps before using them. Any wax will do, furniture
bees or car wax. Or, consider applying a coat of varnish or
polyurethane to the wooden clamps. Don't go overboard with the
glue--a small amount of squeeze-out is what you want.

It is kind of hard to imagine the glue coming in contact with the
clamps..it seems that would indicate the use of way too much glue. If
possible, just apply glue and press the pieces together by hand first to
express the excess glue and wipe it off well with a damp cloth. If not
cleaned off well, it can interfere with stain and/or final finish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/4/2007 10:02 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

on 9/3/2007 3:10 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to
something? I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be
overflow of glue that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does
waxpaper work?

What is the something made out of?

He said the "wooden" clamps.
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I wonder if the glue might also ooze onto the "something" that he's gluing.

He's probably not worried about that, since he only specifically
mentioned the clamps.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

"willshak" wrote in message

on 9/3/2007 3:10 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

"Unrevealed Source" wrote in message

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to
something? I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be
overflow of glue that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps.
Does waxpaper work?

What is the something made out of?

He said the "wooden" clamps.
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I wonder if the glue might also ooze onto the "something" that he's
gluing.

He's probably not worried about that, since he only specifically
mentioned the clamps.

I'm suspecting he hadn't thought of it specifically and is somewhat
unexperienced...as someone else noted, the clamp in the location where
squeezeout would be expected doesn't sound like clamping in the right
location as well as excessive glue besides...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 3:09 pm, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:
What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

Wrap the jaws with masking tape. Dried glue peels off easy.
Also use less glue -- what are you gluing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unrevealed Source wrote:
What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

Wax works. I like saran wrap or packing tape.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 3, 2:09 pm, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:
What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

Waxpaper works fine. So does a strip of a plastic waste basket liner,
srips of trash sacks, slices of WalMart shopping bags, etc. Anything
polyethylene is fair game. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What can I use to keep excess carpenter's glue from sticking to something?
I've got to glue and clamp something, and there will be overflow of glue
that I don't want sticking to the wooden clamps. Does waxpaper work?

Waxpaper works fine. So does a strip of a plastic waste basket liner,
srips of trash sacks, slices of WalMart shopping bags, etc. Anything
polyethylene is fair game. HTH

Joe

Slightly OT, but when working with epoxy, coat anything you don't want
stuck with Vaseline.

e.g. put Vaseline on the threads of bolt to hold a nut in place, then
epoxy the nut where you want it. The bolt will spin right out after
the epoxy sets.

Restoring an old carpenter's workbench Lobster UK diy 17 June 7th 07 10:49 AM
Carpenter's pencil mike UK diy 10 April 11th 07 11:22 PM
Glue the coil to the inverter circuit board? Why?Need glue after the reapir??? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 24th 06 03:26 PM
Advantage of a carpenter's rule? Richard Woodworking 17 August 19th 06 02:11 PM
Framing/Rafter/Carpenter's Square - Stainless? Jay Pique Woodworking 12 July 11th 06 01:40 PM