Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Framing/Rafter/Carpenter's Square - Stainless?

Yo,

I see LV sells a stainless steel framing square....for $45. I usually
keep my tools out of the rain, but I also like to have durable and
accurate measuring tools. I guess I'm trying to talk myself into one
of these. I don't know why, other than I just put in a set of attic
stairs and was surprised at just how out of square the old rough
opening was. One diagonal was fully 7/8" longer than the other. I'm
looking at my slightly bent aluminum Johnson and although is "pretty
square" it doesn't really lay flat too well anymore. IAE, SS worth the
$$$?

JP
*********************
Expecting the usual.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Yes. I've got two framing squares. One is painted steel, with rust. The
other is steel with, according to the manufacturer, some kind of super clear
cote. Well, the clearcoat is in perfect shape. The rust is underneath it.
Next one will be stainless.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo,

I see LV sells a stainless steel framing square....for $45. I usually
keep my tools out of the rain, but I also like to have durable and
accurate measuring tools. I guess I'm trying to talk myself into one
of these. I don't know why, other than I just put in a set of attic
stairs and was surprised at just how out of square the old rough
opening was. One diagonal was fully 7/8" longer than the other. I'm
looking at my slightly bent aluminum Johnson and although is "pretty
square" it doesn't really lay flat too well anymore. IAE, SS worth the
$$$?

JP
*********************
Expecting the usual.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
Jay Pique wrote:
Yo,

I see LV sells a stainless steel framing square....for $45. I usually
keep my tools out of the rain, but I also like to have durable and
accurate measuring tools. I guess I'm trying to talk myself into one
of these. I don't know why, other than I just put in a set of attic
stairs and was surprised at just how out of square the old rough
opening was. One diagonal was fully 7/8" longer than the other. I'm
looking at my slightly bent aluminum Johnson and although is "pretty
square" it doesn't really lay flat too well anymore. IAE, SS worth the
$$$?

JP
*********************
Expecting the usual.

IMHO stainless at $45 is not worth the money, but a regular STEEL
square is; Last time I priced them a standard sized framing square
made of steel, by Johnson, Empire, Stanley etc was under $10. IIRC,
the aluminum squares cost more. I don't see any advantage to aluminum
for a framing square. They are lighter and don't rust, but their
frailty compared to steel is not worh the tradeoff for me.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
Yo,

I see LV sells a stainless steel framing square..
Expecting the usual.

I'm not familiar with LV's square, but in general terms, they're pretty
darn good with their products.
Having said that, another thing comes to mind. A good stainless square
is better than a lousy aluminum one.

The opposite is also true.

The choice of material has nothing to do with the execution of the
standards by which we evaluate a good square. Are the sides of the legs
parallel? Izzit an actual 90-degree angle? Will it lie down flat? Do
the markings start and stop exactly at the ends of the legs?

I dropped a serious chunk of change on a genuine BSS stainless
machinists's square. A big brute of a 16" one. (It is in a wooden box
with an electrified fence around it, and Molly and Daisy, two pitbulls
guarding it)...okay... kidding....but you get the picture.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Too damn funny. I have a couple of those damn things myself. And you
are right... the finish is in perfect condition! It is holding in the
rust just fine.

Wonder of the rust is a result of condensation through the clear coat?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
JP
*********************
Expecting the usual.

Then expect to leave it out in the foggy foggy dew at least once. OTOH, I
find the rust only and annoyance, not a tragedy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Too damn funny. I have a couple of those damn things myself. And you
are right... the finish is in perfect condition! It is holding in the
rust just fine.

I have that model of frming square too :-) I recently scraped off the finish
and sanded out the rust. Although it's more readable now, i would rate it
only as "fair".

If I had *no* framing square and wanted to buy, I would pony up the extra $
for the SS for the readability.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo,

I see LV sells a stainless steel framing square....for $45. I usually
keep my tools out of the rain, but I also like to have durable and
accurate measuring tools.

You might want to verify that the Stainless Steel will not rust, some of
them do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo,

I see LV sells a stainless steel framing square....for $45. I usually
keep my tools out of the rain, but I also like to have durable and
accurate measuring tools.

You might want to verify that the Stainless Steel will not rust, some of
them do.

It's from LV, I'm not worried!

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Very true but the only stainless that will rust is of a higher quality than
any manufacturer is likely to use to make a square.

"Leon" wrote in message
y.net...

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yo,

I see LV sells a stainless steel framing square....for $45. I usually
keep my tools out of the rain, but I also like to have durable and
accurate measuring tools.

You might want to verify that the Stainless Steel will not rust, some of
them do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
Very true but the only stainless that will rust is of a higher

quality than
any manufacturer is likely to use to make a square.

304 and 18-8 are the same thing and the operative words are STAIN
LESS. It will definitely pit and rust.

IMHO, both are unacceptable for any kind of tooling.

316L is about 25-30% more than 304, but worth it.

Since the Chinese have become active at the raw materials trough, the
price of metals has gone thru the roof.

A square from 316L is probably considerably more than $45 these days.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote...

304 and 18-8 are the same thing and the operative words are STAIN
LESS. It will definitely pit and rust.

That's why we need to insist manufacturers provide us with framing squares
made of K-500 Monel. 8^)

My framing square is an old Sears Craftsman laquered solid brass square.
Hasn't rusted yet. Checked the Sears website and it doesn't look like they
sell it anymore. Did find they have a 7" combination square with a
stainless steel blade & a "heavy-duty machined head" that looks pretty nifty
for 8 bucks. Doubt you'd want to trade in your Starrett for it though.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hambone Slim wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote...

304 and 18-8 are the same thing and the operative words are STAIN
LESS. It will definitely pit and rust.

That's why we need to insist manufacturers provide us with framing squares
made of K-500 Monel. 8^)

Heh. Maybe someone from Bridge City Tools is reading this...

JP