Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any good tankless water heaters?

Folks:

I've got a 15-year-old 50-gal. water heater that I'm thinking of replacing. The
water heater currently sits in its own outdoor closet attached to the rear of the
house. The closet measures 100x26x30 (HxWxD, in inches). I'm also planning to
add a water softening system that I'd like to put in the closet, but I can't put
anything else in this closet with a 50 gal. water heater. I believe a tankless
water heater would free up enough space in the closet to include the softener.

Are there any good tankless water heaters on the market today? I've read mixed
reviews of the Bosch models on eopinions.com. Failing that are there any small
tanked water heaters, =30 gal., designed to fit into a tight space?

Thanks.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Bushnell wrote:
Folks:

I've got a 15-year-old 50-gal. water heater that I'm thinking of replacing. The
water heater currently sits in its own outdoor closet attached to the rear of the
house. The closet measures 100x26x30 (HxWxD, in inches). I'm also planning to
add a water softening system that I'd like to put in the closet, but I can't put
anything else in this closet with a 50 gal. water heater. I believe a tankless
water heater would free up enough space in the closet to include the softener.

Are there any good tankless water heaters on the market today? I've read mixed
reviews of the Bosch models on eopinions.com. Failing that are there any small
tanked water heaters, =30 gal., designed to fit into a tight space?

Thanks.

If that's electric, forget it.

And for the price of a gas one,
I would sooner bump out the "closet".

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 11:49 am, Bill Bushnell wrote:
Folks:

I've got a 15-year-old 50-gal. water heater that I'm thinking of replacing. The
water heater currently sits in its own outdoor closet attached to the rear of the
house. The closet measures 100x26x30 (HxWxD, in inches). I'm also planning to
add a water softening system that I'd like to put in the closet, but I can't put
anything else in this closet with a 50 gal. water heater. I believe a tankless
water heater would free up enough space in the closet to include the softener.

Are there any good tankless water heaters on the market today? I've read mixed
reviews of the Bosch models on eopinions.com. Failing that are there any small
tanked water heaters, =30 gal., designed to fit into a tight space?

Thanks.

--
Bill Bushnellhttp://pobox.com/~bushnell/

Whether or not you can get a tankless to do a good job for you
depends on (just to name a few) the operating conditions

peak hot water consumption
inlet cold water temp
general water usage patterns
elevation (dist above) from sea level

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 3:21 pm, BobK207 wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Does the outdoor closet freeze. Rinnai might make one that has a
element to keep it from freezing, but what if it does not work, you
loose an expensive unit. Rinnai, Takagi, Bosch are all good, I have a
Bosch and am happy. You do mean Ng or Propane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
Does the outdoor closet freeze. Rinnai might make one that has a
element to keep it from freezing, but what if it does not work, you
loose an expensive unit. Rinnai, Takagi, Bosch are all good, I have a
Bosch and am happy. You do mean Ng or Propane.

The closet interior is unlikely to freeze unless we have several days of below
freezing weather, which hasn't happened in over 20 years. I live in Sunnyvale,
California.

The closet has NG service for the existing 50gal. water heater but no electrical.
I could run a new outlet to the closet if necessary and probably will need to for
the softener if I locate it there.

Thanks.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Bill Bushnell wrote:

ransley wrote:

The closet interior is unlikely to freeze unless we have several days of below
freezing weather, which hasn't happened in over 20 years. I live in Sunnyvale,
California.

The closet has NG service for the existing 50gal. water heater but no electrical.
I could run a new outlet to the closet if necessary and probably will need to for
the softener if I locate it there.

Tankless water heaters are not simply drop-in replacements for existing water
heaters. You will need a larger gas connections and maybe a larger flue.
Your tanked water heater was probably 34-40K BTU/hr and had a 1/2" gas line.
Tankless heaters might run 120-175K BTU/hr and need a 3/4" gas line. You
will also need a large enough gas service connection so that you don't
starve you other appliances (furnace, stove?, etc.) when the water heater
kicks on. Talk to you gas company (PG&E) to find out if your current
gas connection is sufficient for the tankless heater in addition to your
other appliances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 2:49 am, Bill Bushnell wrote:
Folks:

I've got a 15-year-old 50-gal. water heater that I'm thinking of replacing. The
water heater currently sits in its own outdoor closet attached to the rear of the
house. The closet measures 100x26x30 (HxWxD, in inches). I'm also planning to
add a water softening system that I'd like to put in the closet, but I can't put
anything else in this closet with a 50 gal. water heater. I believe atankless
water heater would free up enough space in the closet to include the softener.

Are there any goodtanklesswater heaters on the market today? I've read mixed
reviews of the Bosch models on eopinions.com. Failing that are there any small
tanked water heaters, =30 gal., designed to fit into a tight space?

Thanks.

--
Bill Bushnellhttp://pobox.com/~bushnell/

Hi,

If you would like to buy one Electric tankless water Heater, I suggest
to consider to visit our online sto http://ateliving.ecrater.com.

We are one Chinese Electric Tankless Water Heater manufacturer. We
have supplied some Electric Tankless Water Heaters to some American
clients and other countries' clients.

Please take you some time visit our website and products album to know
our company and products info. You could find our price list from our
album.

If you are interested in our products, please contact me.

Await your early reply and comments.

Best regards

Arthur Huang
Ateliving Trade and Industries Co., Ltd