Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheetrock joint compound - wrong for small holes?

Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 2:58 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

Usually one would cut out a 4x4 inch square of drywall, trace it on
the wall over the 3x3 hole, cut that out (to match the patch), back it
with a small furring strip, screw on the 4x4 patch, then tape/mud/sand
the seam.

For a 3x3 hole with fiberglass mesh tape, you used the right stuff for
the first coat (green bucket). It takes longer for the green to dry,
and it will also shrink more than the blue bucket, but it is stronger
and harder for a base coat. When it dries do the top coat(s) with the
blue bucket mud and sand it. (you would not want the blue bucket mud
for the base coat, its too light)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

Next time, use plaster of paris, or a lightweight setting-type joint
compound. Make sure it's sandable, "Durabond" is not. I think the
stuff I used last time was called something like "Easysand 20", and it's
pretty cheap.

It'll be a powder that you have to mix with water.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

Drywall joint compound is meant joints and for _thin_ applications.
Anything much over 1/8" would be a heavy application. If it is thicker
than 1/2" I wouldn't be surprised if it took a couple of days to dry in
high humidity conditions. And sadly, it will probably shrink badly and
be very weak when you finish. How thick did you lay it on?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 6:03 pm, John McGaw wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

Drywall joint compound is meant joints and for _thin_ applications.
Anything much over 1/8" would be a heavy application. If it is thicker
than 1/2" I wouldn't be surprised if it took a couple of days to dry in
high humidity conditions. And sadly, it will probably shrink badly and
be very weak when you finish. How thick did you lay it on?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]http://johnmcgaw.com

I laid it on about 1/8". Should I just wait and let it dry or redo the
whole thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

If it was only 1/8" then it should dry pretty quickly even if the
humidity is sky-high. No more than 8 hours in the worst conditions I've
ever worked in (warm with very humid air and little air movement). If it
doesn't seem dry after an overnight wait then there has to be something
else going on.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:58:18 -0700, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

You have the material. Thinner coats of compound is better. I never
try to patch, fix and finish all at once! I come back tomorrow,
because I get better every day, heh!

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

Others have given you good advice, but I'll add to it my own little bent.
When I use joint compound I only apply it in very thin coats. Might take a
few days to get a repair finished, but it blends excellently (well I think
so anyway) in with the wall - no sanding. I don't use that mesh stuff for
repairs either - I find it impossible to work with. Paper tape works
perfectly well.

Mixing small batches of joint compound [email protected] Home Repair 18 November 1st 18 12:44 AM
Too much mud? Sheetrock joint compound that is. # Fred # Home Repair 5 January 23rd 07 10:44 PM
Joint compound over paint? MattMika Home Repair 2 May 24th 06 01:09 AM
joint compound mo Home Repair 5 April 8th 06 01:44 PM
Can I put joint compound on wallpaper? Al Kondo Home Repair 1 May 15th 05 05:01 PM