Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Sheetrock joint compound - wrong for small holes?

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I patched a small hole (3"x3" and used that white mesh) with sheetrock
joint compounded (big bucket with a green lid) and it's still wet
after 2 days. Maybe it's due to the humid weather conditions, but
could it be that I should use some other material for patching holes
and that this is more for drywalling?

Thanks!

Aaron Fude.

Drywall joint compound is meant joints and for _thin_ applications.
Anything much over 1/8" would be a heavy application. If it is thicker
than 1/2" I wouldn't be surprised if it took a couple of days to dry in
high humidity conditions. And sadly, it will probably shrink badly and
be very weak when you finish. How thick did you lay it on?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]