Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Wood plank sizes

My patio overhang has two posts that bear some of the roof weight and, from
what I can tell, these look to be constructed of probably an iron pipe
enclosed squarely by two lengths of 5 1/4" wide board on two sides and two
lengths of 3 3/4 " wide board on the opposite sides (making a box around the
pole.

The lower portion of the 3 3/4" wide boards is rotting due to its contact
(and water) with the patio blue stone. I want to cut out about 2 feet of
both planks of this width board and replace it with new board (and prime and
paint). Unfortunately, this is an odd sized board width. Typical board
widths (lets say a 1x4x6 board) has the width of 3 1/2", not 3 3/4". I have
no idea where to obtain such a width board. What am I missing here? Did
the original builder/carpenter cut down vertically (length-wise) a larger
width board to make this odd sized 3 3/4" board?

Now what?

Thanks.
Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Aug 26, 6:57 pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
[...]

What you will have to do is by a 1x6 and rip it down to 3 3/4 wide,
preferably on a table saw. Small lumberyards often have a table saw
and will customize boards for you. Could also be done with a Skilsaw
if you can't find a table saw..

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
dpb dpb is offline

Walter Cohen wrote:
[...]

As marson says, you'll have to either cut down a 1x6 or use ply
(possible if the edges are hidden).

As a note, if the house is older, it's likely the material was nominal
1x4 and simply was a little wider than today's material.

The other alternative is that if it is 20-years or older, much finish
material did run wider then and for a visible trim piece the builder
used architectural trim stock, not just run-of-the-mill construction
lumber (it was still affordable back then).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

on 8/26/2007 7:57 PM Walter Cohen said the following:
[...]

I had the same problem, except the main support of the overhang was PT
4x4s. I cut about 3/4" off the bottom of the 1x covering and then
installed plastic base molding around the bottom to hide the gap.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

[...]

If anyone sees the other response from me, disregard it. I completely
missed the 2' cut off part.
Yes, the planks you are referring to are cut to width (ripped) by a
table saw or other saw. Depending upon how long (high) these posts are,
you will probably be better off ripping two 1" x 10" x (whatever length)
to the correct widths and replacing the whole box. Patching will no
doubt leave seams.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Aug 26, 7:57 pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
[...]

Weren't you ever in the Boy Scouts?

Buy a piece of 3 1/2" stock and then rent a Board Stretcher. They're
on the shelf between the Sky Hooks and the Left-Handed Smoke Shifters.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

I'll second that. For a simple box enclosure on a 1-story tall post, trying
to patch it in will be a major PITA, and likely end up looking like crap. 1x
boards aren't even that expensive. If boards are rotted, OP needs to inspect
the hidden post anyway to make sure it isn't badly rusted. The new wood he
puts back needs to be held off the bluestone by a standoff of some sort to
keep from sucking moisture. I presume somebody (like Simpson) has U-shaped
standoffs that lock together.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

on 8/26/2007 8:58 PM aemeijers said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

I have 4 boxed posts on concrete holding up an overhang on the front of
my house. They box PT 4x4 supports. I boxed them in myself. I left a
1/2" gap at the bottom all around and used plastic interior floor base
molding to finish off the bottom. Whatever water gets in there will seep
under the plastic molding and not soak the box.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:57:27 -0400, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

[...]

Use (outdoor) yellow carpenters glue to join two boards side-by-side,
allow to cure 24 hours, then rip to desired width. The glue line
will be stronger than the wood itself. Good rot-resistant woods
include teak, white oak, cedar, cypress. Pressure-treated wood is
usually too wet for glue-up or painting.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Unfortunately, this is an odd sized board width. Typical board widths
(lets say a 1x4x6 board) has the width of 3 1/2", not 3 3/4". I have no
idea where to obtain such a width board. What am I missing here?

I'll skip part of the answer and just say, a saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:57:27 -0400 from Walter Cohen
:
Typical board
widths (lets say a 1x4x6 board) has the width of 3 1/2", not 3 3/4". I have
no idea where to obtain such a width board. What am I missing here? Did
the original builder/carpenter cut down vertically (length-wise) a larger
width board to make this odd sized 3 3/4" board?

In the olden days, a can of tuna was 7 ounces and a 4-inch piece of
lumber was 4 inches. Then tuna shrank to 6.5 ounces and 4-inch lumber
to 3.75, though not at the same time. :-) Now tuna is 6.25 or 6
ounces, and 4-inch lumber is 3.5 inches.

It sounds like your supports were bought in Stage 2.

--
"First prove what you're saying, then whine about it."
-- /The People's Court/
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Totally last-century, man. Get a Gap Reducer instead.