Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
willshak willshak is offline

Default Wood plank sizes

on 8/26/2007 7:57 PM Walter Cohen said the following:
My patio overhang has two posts that bear some of the roof weight and,
from what I can tell, these look to be constructed of probably an iron
pipe enclosed squarely by two lengths of 5 1/4" wide board on two
sides and two lengths of 3 3/4 " wide board on the opposite sides
(making a box around the pole.

The lower portion of the 3 3/4" wide boards is rotting due to its
contact (and water) with the patio blue stone. I want to cut out
about 2 feet of both planks of this width board and replace it with
new board (and prime and paint). Unfortunately, this is an odd sized
board width. Typical board widths (lets say a 1x4x6 board) has the
width of 3 1/2", not 3 3/4". I have no idea where to obtain such a
width board. What am I missing here? Did the original
builder/carpenter cut down vertically (length-wise) a larger width
board to make this odd sized 3 3/4" board?

Now what?

Thanks.
Walter

I had the same problem, except the main support of the overhang was PT
4x4s. I cut about 3/4" off the bottom of the 1x covering and then
installed plastic base molding around the bottom to hide the gap.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY