Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default List of Stock PAR wood sizes ???

Whose got a list of stock PAR wood sizes ??

I cannot find one on the web.

I need approx 300mm W x 30mm THK finished, as I want to make some
steps leading up to my decking.

Is it best to get the wood tanalised before routing or after ?? Or
should I just treat it myself after, and with what as it will be PAR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try Wickes web site. http://www.wickes.co.uk/

I need approx 300mm W x 30mm THK finished, as I want to make some
steps leading up to my decking.

Why not use decking board? It's alread 150mm so you could just use 2 boards
to make up 300mm.

Is it best to get the wood tanalised before routing or after ??

I don't think you can get timber tanalised retrospectively.

Or should I just treat it myself after, and with what as it will be PAR.

No need if you use deck boards. Clear wood preserver after routing if not.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
stevesmith wrote:
Whose got a list of stock PAR wood sizes ??

I cannot find one on the web.

Try Wickes web site. http://www.wickes.co.uk/

I need approx 300mm W x 30mm THK finished, as I want to make some
steps leading up to my decking.

Why not use decking board? It's alread 150mm so you could just use 2
boards to make up 300mm.

Just noticed Wickes is only 140mm, but you can get 150mm - I've used a lot
of it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I need 300 or so, as I need to make a 3 step staircase, and these
would make the stringers. Similiar to a domestic staircase, with
closed sides, and routered in treads and risers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stevesmith" wrote in message
I need 300 or so, as I need to make a 3 step staircase, and these
would make the stringers. Similiar to a domestic staircase, with
closed sides, and routered in treads and risers.

Why don't you just go to a timber merchant and ask for the size you want?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevesmith wrote:
I need 300 or so, as I need to make a 3 step staircase, and these
would make the stringers. Similiar to a domestic staircase, with
closed sides, and routered in treads and risers.

Deck boards, biscuit jointer (or use your router), waterproof glue?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stevesmith wrote:
Whose got a list of stock PAR wood sizes ??

No such thing. These are the usual nominal sizes, and PAR is about 3mm
less on each dimension

http://www.tbrewer.co.uk/preparedjoinery.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am being offered some 275 wide by a local company, made up of 3
pieces glued together (not biscuited) at £5.50/m + vat.

But they could not tell me if it would take tanalizing. I'm worried
that the glue might not like it ???

Apparently 300 wide is not generally available any more as is warps
all over the place. But you can get 'Southern Yellow' at £16/m + vat.

stevesmith wrote:
I need 300 or so, as I need to make a 3 step staircase, and these
would make the stringers. Similiar to a domestic staircase, with
closed sides, and routered in treads and risers.

Deck boards, biscuit jointer (or use your router), waterproof glue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:29:07 GMT, stevesmith
wrote:

I am being offered some 275 wide by a local company, made up of 3
pieces glued together (not biscuited) at £5.50/m + vat.

But they could not tell me if it would take tanalizing. I'm worried
that the glue might not like it ???

What glue is it?

Apparently 300 wide is not generally available any more as is warps
all over the place. But you can get 'Southern Yellow' at £16/m + vat.

Maybe you could get some nominal 225 x 38 and get the wood yard to
thickness it to 30 finished size.

For unfinished wood Cuprinol Green or equivalent is pretty good,
tanalising is much the same (copper based) as arsenic has been banned
for most things.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-22 11:29:07 +0000, stevesmith said:

I am being offered some 275 wide by a local company, made up of 3
pieces glued together (not biscuited) at £5.50/m + vat.

But they could not tell me if it would take tanalizing. I'm worried
that the glue might not like it ???

The summer before last, I made a ramp for my father's motorised
electric buggy, in order that it could go to the far end of the garden
(involves a step otherwise).

I made this using decking boards edge jointed in threes to make 400 and
something mm width for each. This was done by planing the edges to
remove excess preservative and to make a truly straight edge, the
biscuit jointing using polyurethane glue in the biscuit slots and the
timber edges.
I put glue in the slots and moistened the biscuits. This provides the
water needed to swell the biscuits and also to cure the adhesive.

Surplus adhesive is easy to remove and I then retreated the finished
pieces with Cuprinol clear preservative.

At the start, I made up a couple of these and tested them destructively
- 4 joints in all. In every case, the wood split and not the glue
joints.

The ramp was finally finished in a heavy grade Sadolin and with some
special gritted paint for the treads. The buggy doesn't need it, but
the old man can safely walk up it if he wants and can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any idea what the joint would be like when subjected to a period of
wet weather.

Or

Does exterior grade glue, really stand up to the outside weather ??

At the start, I made up a couple of these and tested them destructively
- 4 joints in all. In every case, the wood split and not the glue
joints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-23 16:34:37 +0000, stevesmith said:

Any idea what the joint would be like when subjected to a period of
wet weather.

Or

Does exterior grade glue, really stand up to the outside weather ??

If you choose a suitable one. Look carefully at products from the
major manufacturers who have technical departments who can advise as
opposed to teenagers in DIY sheds who have little knowledge of own
brand Stick-it-up.

Well.... a year and a half later and no sign of deterioration of the
ramp. It has been outside the whole time - it is deliberately heavy
so that it doesn't move.

It has been used 4-6 times daily apart from in really bad weather and
has stood up to the electric buggy - I believe they are officially
called mobility scooters. This thing weighs 150kg on its own, so the
fairly slight passenger does not make a large difference to it.

For a staircase, as long as you use the correct glue and make sure that
edges are clean and straight and clamp during glue curing, you are not
likely to have problems.