Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Restore spring on pull start?

I have a generator with a backup pull start in case the electric start
fails.
I tried it and promptly broke the pull rope. I removed the cover
(housing) and removed the rope, then replaced it with new rope.
Now there is no tension when I pull the rope. If I pull the rope it
just pulls out and stays out.

Obviously, I didn't wind the new rope right or I 'sprung' the
mechanism or something. I'm wondering if someone can describe to me
what I might try. Probably not - but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Jethro
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:
I have a generator with a backup pull start in case the electric start
fails.
I tried it and promptly broke the pull rope. I removed the cover
(housing) and removed the rope, then replaced it with new rope.
Now there is no tension when I pull the rope. If I pull the rope it
just pulls out and stays out.

Obviously, I didn't wind the new rope right or I 'sprung' the
mechanism or something. I'm wondering if someone can describe to me
what I might try. Probably not - but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Jethro

Do a Google search for "recoil starter repair" or "pull starter
repair" and you'll find all the info you'll need.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:40:33 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Jethro wrote:
I have a generator with a backup pull start in case the electric start
fails.
I tried it and promptly broke the pull rope. I removed the cover
(housing) and removed the rope, then replaced it with new rope.
Now there is no tension when I pull the rope. If I pull the rope it
just pulls out and stays out.

Obviously, I didn't wind the new rope right or I 'sprung' the
mechanism or something. I'm wondering if someone can describe to me
what I might try. Probably not - but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Jethro

Do a Google search for "recoil starter repair" or "pull starter
repair" and you'll find all the info you'll need.

Well - I tried that and don't see anything very useful to me.
My engine is a Chonqing Weima 420CC. It is on a 9000W gas-powered
generator I bought at Pep Boys. I searched the Weima web sites hoping
for schematic(s) or instructions, but found nothing. I have the
recoil starter pull-rope mechanism in my hands as we speak, but can
find no way to put tension of the thing now that I have replaced the
broken pull-rope. If I could just do that, I think the thing would
work. I figure when the pull-rope broke, the spring mechanism might
have 'unsprung', but I don't really know. I didn't hear any
'boingg'.

Thanks

Jethro

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:
[...]

When you broke the rope, the spring "unwound" since there was
nothing to stop it (the handle). You'll have to rewind the spring in
order to get the tension back. See if this site helps:
http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/vropstrt.htm
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:
[...]

I agree. But I can't find a way to 'rewind' the spring to restore the
tension. I'll look at the following URL tomorrow AM to see if
anything there will help. Thanks. Jethro.

See if this site helps:
http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/vropstrt.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:

[...]

What I usually do is rotate the rope reel by hand in the direction
pulling rope moves it. I put in enough turns to reel all the rope back
in when in use, and a little bit more.

(If you can't feel the spring winding up when you try and do that, then
the spring is broken or has come unfastened and you'll have to dig
deeper to replace or hook it back up.)

I clamp or jam something in to keep the reel in that position and then
thread the rope through it's guide and the hole in the reel, then tie
the knot to keep it there and release the reel, which then winds up the
rope. A piece of wire hooked through the end of the rope and used as a
"needle" can make the threading through the reel hole go easier.

If your unit will accept that approach, use it.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:
[...]

http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/vropstrt.htm- Hide quoted text -

You need to find out why the spring is not engaged with the pulley.
If you turn the pulley in the direction it would be pulled, it should
start to wind up the spring. Once the spring is connected to the
pulley, you wind the rope around the pulley. Then you pull out some
rope as you would if you were pulling it. And then you hold the
pulley from going back and wrap one turn of rope around the pulley
again. That creates one pully turn worth of tension on the rope, so
that it's held it a bit, instead of hanging out loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:
[...]

Thanks all -

I agree that the spring is not engaging with the pulley for some
reason. Just maybe it broke when the rope broke. I hope not.
I plan now to look at the URL mentioned in earlier post and will call
the company to see what they can offer for help. That may turn out to
be fruitless.

Jethro
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:
[...]

Well - I looked at the site, and printed the 2 pages. Read and
re-read them. The pull starter pictured is a lot like mine.
I am concluding that somehow my spring should be engaging, but is not.
I can remove the spring housing that is held in place by a single hex
bolt, centered. But when I do that, I can feel the housing wanting
to jump out due to tension - so I figure that there is tension there,
and that the problem is the failure to engage somewhere. I really
worry that if I try to completely remove the retention bolt, the thing
will explode and become an non-storable mess - at least to me. So
right not I am just sitting here looking at it.

Oh well........

Thanks for helps

Jethro

You need to find out why the spring is not engaged with the pulley.
If you turn the pulley in the direction it would be pulled, it should
start to wind up the spring. Once the spring is connected to the
pulley, you wind the rope around the pulley. Then you pull out some
rope as you would if you were pulling it. And then you hold the
pulley from going back and wrap one turn of rope around the pulley
again. That creates one pully turn worth of tension on the rope, so
that it's held it a bit, instead of hanging out loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:34:35 -0400, "Eric"
wrote:

Do you have a local lawnmower or power-equipment shop that does repairs?

I bet if you took the pull-starter assembly to them they could probably take care of it in 10 minutes.

I probably will have to do just that. Thanks for suggestion.

Jethro

Eric Law

"Jethro" wrote in message ...
Well - I looked at the site, and printed the 2 pages. Read and
re-read them. The pull starter pictured is a lot like mine.
I am concluding that somehow my spring should be engaging, but is not.
I can remove the spring housing that is held in place by a single hex
bolt, centered. But when I do that, I can feel the housing wanting
to jump out due to tension - so I figure that there is tension there,
and that the problem is the failure to engage somewhere. I really
worry that if I try to completely remove the retention bolt, the thing
will explode and become an non-storable mess - at least to me. So
right not I am just sitting here looking at it.

Oh well........

Thanks for helps

Jethro

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 5:30 pm, Jethro wrote:
I have a generator with a backup pull start in case the electric start
fails.
I tried it and promptly broke the pull rope. I removed the cover
(housing) and removed the rope, then replaced it with new rope.
Now there is no tension when I pull the rope. If I pull the rope it
just pulls out and stays out.

Obviously, I didn't wind the new rope right or I 'sprung' the
mechanism or something. I'm wondering if someone can describe to me
what I might try. Probably not - but I thought I'd ask.

You have to wind up the spring. Take the cover off. There will be a
notch in the back of the rope spool. Line that notch up with where the
rope goes through the cover. Make a hook from a piece of wire and pull
a loop of rope through this hole. Hook the rope in the notch. Using
the rope, turn the pulley in the direction that the spool turned when
you pulled the rope. Do this several times. Hold the spool, and feed
the rope back out through the hole. Let the spool go. If it doesn't
wind up good enough, add a few more turns to the spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote:

I agree that the spring is not engaging with the pulley for some
reason. Just maybe it broke when the rope broke. I hope not.
I plan now to look at the URL mentioned in earlier post and will call
the company to see what they can offer for help. That may turn out to
be fruitless.

Look for the small balls (about 1/4"); they are part of the locking
mechanism.

The raceways in which they ride is full of dirt. Clean it out and add a few
drops of oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jethro"

Well - I looked at the site, and printed the 2 pages. Read and
re-read them. The pull starter pictured is a lot like mine.
I am concluding that somehow my spring should be engaging, but is not.
I can remove the spring housing that is held in place by a single hex
bolt, centered. But when I do that, I can feel the housing wanting
to jump out due to tension - so I figure that there is tension there,
and that the problem is the failure to engage somewhere. I really
worry that if I try to completely remove the retention bolt, the thing
will explode and become an non-storable mess - at least to me. So
right not I am just sitting here looking at it.

More than one guy has lost an eye due to those things - be sure to wear eye
protection and wrap it in a towel if you are going to play with it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:48:48 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Jethro"

Well - I looked at the site, and printed the 2 pages. Read and
re-read them. The pull starter pictured is a lot like mine.
I am concluding that somehow my spring should be engaging, but is not.
I can remove the spring housing that is held in place by a single hex
bolt, centered. But when I do that, I can feel the housing wanting
to jump out due to tension - so I figure that there is tension there,
and that the problem is the failure to engage somewhere. I really
worry that if I try to completely remove the retention bolt, the thing
will explode and become an non-storable mess - at least to me. So
right not I am just sitting here looking at it.

More than one guy has lost an eye due to those things - be sure to wear eye
protection and wrap it in a towel if you are going to play with it.

Jon

The generator ?distributor? in Illinois has agreed to send me a new
pull start housing. So I guess I won't try to take mine apart, unless
I get curious.

Thanks all

Jethro

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:32:54 GMT, Jethro wrote:

Jethro

Do a Google search for "recoil starter repair" or "pull starter
repair" and you'll find all the info you'll need.

Well - I tried that and don't see anything very useful to me.

A web-wide search or only the Wiema site?

My engine is a Chonqing Weima 420CC. It is on a 9000W gas-powered
generator I bought at Pep Boys. I searched the Weima web sites hoping
for schematic(s) or instructions, but found nothing. I have the

They're all the same, basically. No need to stick to the maker's site.